4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
It's the invasion of the vampires!

Recently, the world of the undead has been sweeping its way into young adult novels, making sure that the vampires are prominently featured. Melissa de la Cruz, author of the popular series THE AU PAIRS, makes sure that she adds her own twist on vampires in her new series, BLUE BLOODS.

Schuyler Van Alen believed...
Published on 1 Jun 2007 by TeensReadToo

2.0 out of 5 stars Vapid Vamps
Published on 1 May 2010 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Vapid Vamps, 1 May 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really wasn't impressed with this book at all. It started out OK, and the plot had promise. Young, rich and high status teens find out on their fifteenth birthdays that they're actually vampires and they'll live forever in theory... but about midway through I found myself skimming through parts of it. Maybe I just found the central character, Schuyler, to be too generic. She's really pretty but wears bad clothes... they've even made films taking the mickey out of those kinds of characters!!

There's a lot of description about clothes, hair, possessions... if you don't aspire to be rich and have nice things, you'll get bored of that fairly quickly. There's also quite a bit of partying & drinking going on... I'd shy away from giving this to literature hungry teenage Twilight fans - they'll probably think it's really cool but it won't do you any favors as a parent and it certainly won't provoke thoughts!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 1 Jun 2007
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
It's the invasion of the vampires!

Schuyler Van Alen believed that she was just a normal teenager, living a normal life, and just didn't seem to fit in. Attending a private school isn't the world that Schuyler wanted to enter, what with all of the high fashion when she would rather wear her "unfashionable" clothes. But she never thought she would enter the world of the vampires, either.

When she turns 15, Schuyler discovers some major changes in herself, like the veins in her arms that are distinctly blue. And the blue veins can only mean that she is part of the Blue Bloods, a group of vampires whose ancestors go as far back as the Mayflower. Being a Blue Blood isn't so bad, right?

Well, when a murder takes place and a popular guy starts to notice you, Schuyler knows that there is something strange going on, and it's up to her to crack all of the society's secrets and to keep herself out of danger while doing it.

Melissa de la Cruz does not disappoint with BLUE BLOODS. The world that Ms. de la Cruz has created is not only unique but also very intriguing. Fans of the vampire world will definitely want to add this to their collection, and will be looking forward to MASQUERADE, the next novel in the series.

Reviewed by: Randstostipher "tallnlankyrn" Nguyen

5.0 out of 5 stars Now my favourite series, 31 Mar 2010
G. Davis "Miss G" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Bloods: Number 1 in series (Paperback)
I'm 20 years old but really like a lots of teen books. I put off reading Blue Bloods for so long thinking that it would be the same as all the rest and nothing special. I was so wrong! I fell in love with this book and read the first and second in a few days. The idea is brilliant, unique and a breath of fresh air in the wake of all the teen vampire novels. A lot of people don't like that it's about the rich, beautiful and elite but I disagree. The characters are so well written with many different levels which are developed well as the books progress. Even the characters you are supposed to hate (like Mimi, one of the antagonists) become more than just the typical stereotypes they were at the beginning. Plus they are immortal of course they are going to be rich, they've had eternity to accumulate their wealth. It makes sense.
I'd reccomend this series to anyone who is looking for something new and exciting or become bored with the many similar vampire novels that are out there now. I'm kicking myself I waited so long to start this as it is now one of my absolute favourites. Can't wait to start the next two, the only drawback is that the 5th isn't out untill October.

3.0 out of 5 stars fantasy, young-adult, 21 Aug 2010
This review is from: Blue Bloods: Number 1 in series (Paperback)
Melissa de la Cruz makes a fun world, easy to read, with characters that you love and hate. Full of all the angst and envy of a proper high school novel, but with the added bite of the supernatural.
I'm charmed by Schuyler, the accidentally beautiful protagonist. She is endearing in her inability to fit in, which is something I'm sure many of us can relate to
The Force Twins. How can you help but love to hate Mimi Force? A girl who has everything, and knows that she really has been queen of the world.
It's a fun, light read. It took me all of 4 or 5 hours, after which I promptly bought the next two books, which also took that long to read. Not as deep or detailed as they could have been, as I really, really wanted them to be. My Robert Jordan-primed brain wanted the two-page scenes to stretch out for chapters. Unfortunately, this is teen fiction, not overdrawn adult fantasy

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a bit of effort, 23 Feb 2010
Paula Coulter "peebo books" (milton keynes UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Bloods: Number 1 in series (Paperback)
When i began to read this book i had no idea what was going on and it took me quite a few chapters to get used to the fact that from chapter to chapter the character your following changes! it made it a little hard for me to get into the story as i felt i was jumping from one story line to another BUT....after staying with it i found the story kept my interest and was a nice twist on the world of the Vampire in comparison to other books from this genre. I must admit i am on the second book in the series at the moment and it is only because i need to know what happens to Schuyler and Oliver the parts with mimi tend to be speed read!
Not on my top ten but not a bad read, has a hook i enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars New And Brilliant Twist On Vampire Lore: I'm Hooked!, 28 Oct 2014
This review is from: Blue Bloods: Number 1 in series (Paperback)
“You are the newest Blue Bloods. Today is your induction into your secret history. Welcome to your new life…"
Schuyler Van Alen goes to the prestigious Duchesne School – a school full of socialites and the ridiculously wealthy. But even though the Van Alen family is so deeply intertwined with Manhattan history the two are indistinguishable, Schuyler has always felt like an outsider in her society.
But, as it turns out, she's part of a group of outsiders. A group of gorgeous, rich and powerful vampire elitists.
Schuyler is a Blue Blood – a vampire. She's immortal – she will never die. Understandably, it's a lot to take in.
Taking it all in gets a lot harder when the fellow Blue Blood and super-rich-and-popular Jack Force reveals that Blue Bloods – who, according to The Committee, cannot be killed; by anyone or anything – are being murdered. Forever. With no returning.
Something is hunting the Blue Bloods – an old and ancient foe that no one, especially The Committee, want to admit exists. And it's hunting Schuyler now.
Nothing is as it first seems. No one are how they first seem to be. And no Blue Blood is safe...
Man, I love this book! I don't know what it is – it is just totally addictive! And so original! I absolutely adored the vampire lore – and my taste of high-society-American-life. And all the mystery: damn, it was hooking! Blue Bloods was like Gossip Girl meets Vampire Diaries meets CSI. Awesome!
And damn do I want to be a Blue Blood! It’s just all so very cool! Well, aside from crazies stalking them and blood lust and whatever... And the weird twinny-thingy. Still. Minor technicalities…
Onto Schuyler... I liked Sky. She was weird, unique and wonderfully odd – oh, and funny, sweet and brave, too. But mostly awesomely weird. I like weird. And I like a girl who always, always sticks to her guns – and Sky never backed down, not ever. She was awesome.
Oh, and her best friend Oliver was brilliant too – he was such a sweetie. But what is it with best friends crushing on other best friends who don't return their crush? Seriously, people: what's with that?! Even so, I loved Oliver.
I loved Jack too. He was... yum. Sure, he was very very easily manipulated (damn, his twin was evil!) but I still liked him a lot – he was so... noble, almost. I guess that's what immortality does to you. I'm intrigued about where he’ll go next. But that bond with his sister? Freaky with a capital F… It also didn't help that I really wasn't overly keen on Mimi. I just didn't like the girl – she was too reckless, too cold, too... Mimi.
But now I just have to gush about this world! I mean, the vampire lore is some of the coolest and most original I've ever come across – I just gobbled it up! And I so wanna be a Blue Blood! The mythology is all so rich and detailed and wonderfully built up: I loved it and totally believed everything. But onto the more... upper-class-ish side of the world building...
Now, as a total fashion bimbo, I must say that I don't get all the designer brand stuff. So I will admit that the extensive name dropping and clothes description wasn't my favourite part of the story. But then I was like, ‘Hey. This is a book about the one-percenters and to them, this stuff is every day.’ The lavishness of everything just added to the high society atmosphere and made me feel, for a bit anyways, like a hot, fanged, rich-rich-rich girl with designer everything and immortality to boot!
Seriously, can I be a Blue Blood?
I found de la Cruz's writing irresistible. It was so gorgeous and so utterly hooking. I liked how we got to see from lots of people's perspectives, even if sometimes I wasn't overly sure whose head I was in at the time (it jumped occasionally within sections, which threw me a bit at times). But even so: so utterly gorgeous.
And as for the whole mystery, plot-line side: hot damn, it was awesome! It was a little slow to begin with, but the suspense... Well, it just built from the word go. I was tugged right into the heart of the mystery, totally hooked and absorbed. I could not stop reading – not for anything. And if anyone had tried to take my book away whilst I was reading... Well, I would've ripped their arm off to get it back: I simply had to continue reading and I just had to know how everything ended. And I must say, I was surprised by a lot of the twists. Not all of them, but some.
So, if you haven't read Blue Bloods and are looking for an utterly different and unique take of vampires, this is for you. But here's a little warning: you will not be able to put this book down no matter how hard you try, so don't expect to get much else done the day you read it. God knows I didn't. But don't say I didn't warn you guys: you will want to read it in one sitting and you will be dying to pick up Masquerade the second you put Blue Bloods down.
Speaking of, where the heck have I put my copy of Masquerade? I simply must know what happens next! I gots to know, people!
What can I say? I'm utterly hooked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blue Bloods, 19 April 2010
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Blue Bloods: Number 1 in series (Paperback)
If you took the fangs from Twilight and the fashion from Gossip Girl, you'd get Blue Bloods. Addictive and entertaining, it's fast become my new YA book obsession, and I can't get enough.

Blue Bloods are no ordinary vampires: they head up rich bitch cliques, party at the swankiest clubs and date the best of the best. They're so elite Serena and Blair would cower in their Jimmy Choos and, as any GG fan knows, that's not an easy thing to achieve.

Schuyler Van Alen (pronounced Sky-ler) is an outcast at prestigious boarding school Duchesne, until students start showing up dead. Her life takes a rapid turn for the weird, and she finds out she's a Blue Blood -- part of an ancient group of vampires descendant from archangels cast out of heaven. Turns out most her classmates are Blue Bloods, including her crush Jack Force (insert *swoon* here), his dark but delectable sister Mimi and new arrival Bliss.

I love the whole mythology surrounding the Blue Bloods. It's fresh and fascinating, and unlike anything else I can think of. Vampires and angels are two of my favourite paranormal creatures to read about, so combining the two is quite genius on Melissa de la Cruz's part. It may sound a bit strange, but believe me, it works well.

Blue Bloods concludes nicely, and sets the rest of the series up in the process. I was literally frothing at the mouth to read Masquerade, and no, that's not a terrible vampire joke. Honestly. I haven't been this excited about a series for ages, and I'm so glad Melissa de la Cruz and her vision of the undead finally made its way to the UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 15 April 2010
light (brighton) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really enjoyed this book and read it all in one sitting. I thought it would just be your average vampire book, as the back cover doesn't do the plot justice(wittering on about 'upper east side' stuff.) It actually had a different take on immortality,which was very refreshing, not to give the plot away.
I'm going to buy the next ones if it is a series. The book did had a definite ending, but also left the story open to more secrets to be found out. I really recommend this book , especially to anyone who has enjoyed Evernight and the Stephanie Meyer books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blue Bloods, 18 Mar 2010
This review is from: Blue Bloods: Number 1 in series (Paperback)
Vampires are a common subject in teen fantasy books these days but this was turned into a very original idea. I loved the idea of having the vampires to be fallen angels. The story involves lots of twists and turns. I liked the characters and I especially loved that the love interest of Schuyler - Jack - was a much more flawed character than the love interest usually is. He's much more lost and confused than most, especially seeing as how he's immortal. The only really bad point is that at times it was a little slow, but still very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another big vampire hit for your teenager...and yourself :), 25 Feb 2010
Nicolette Laurence "Lunarwillow" (Guernsey, Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this primarily for my daughter to read...she is a big fan of the Twilight books and has been reading some of the other vampire fiction that has suddenly appeared. She was absorbed in this book from the first page, she says it is "awesome", high praise indeed from a 14-year old who is quite a discerning reader :) I plan to read it myself after she has finished, but in the meantime I can recommend this wholeheartedly for you and your teenagers who are fans of vampire fiction :)

Blue Bloods: Number 1 in series
Blue Bloods: Number 1 in series by Melissa de la Cruz (Paperback - 22 Feb 2010)