Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 March 2013
We have been programed to think of psychopaths as violent criminals like Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy or movie characters like Norman bates.
Thomas Sheridans Puzzling People explains the real nature of the psychopath, this evolutionary offshoot that walks among us, this small percent of the population have the same symptom, namely a complete lack of conscience. The difference is that the majority with this mental disposition operate within the laws and only rarely get caught but destroying lives in the process. This book that's extremely well written and makes it very clear that psychopaths are not like us, they can not be reasoned with or reformed. This knowledge is invaluable for anyone whose life comes in contact with a psychopath, past, present or future, and gives testimony from victims of psychopaths and also Arouses the curiosity for all who seek to understand human behavior. I passed this great read on to a friend who is studying for a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology & sociology, she passed it on and recommended it to her class mates and lecturers, it got great feedback. Ive read six books on psychopathy and puzzling people is the one i always recommend.
on 2 October 2012
I wasn't sure what I to expect but I have to say this has been the best read in a long time! I would highly recommend it to anyone who has ever come across a psychopath and are at a loss of how to cope with them or how to get rid of them. Thomas Sheridan has done some amazing research and know's his stuff, but the great thing is that he put's it in a away that the general public can get to grips with it, without having a dictionary on standby! Fantastic addictive reading that has been fodder for the Soul...
on 18 August 2011
If ever there was a book which I wish I'd read twenty or thirty years earlier, it's "Puzzling People: The Labyrinth Of The Psychopath."

Firstly, it's worth highlighting Mr. Sheridan's motivation for writing this book. It was not for the sake of adding to the many fine academic studies which have already been done by eminent researchers. It stemmed from his attempts to make sense of his own disturbing encounters with a number of chilling characters with whom he had had the misfortune to come into contact. He was drawn to the study of all the available psychiatric literature over a number of years. As his own understanding increased, he realised that what he had learned could save a great many people from a lot of avoidable distress. This book is the result. It's a practical guide for everyone rather than a specialised treatise for academics.

Thomas Sheridan explains in clear language that because our notions of a psychopath are dangerously short of the mark, we needlessly make ourselves vulnerable to predatory, cold-hearted parasites who have no feelings of empathy or shame and yet appear on face value to function as normal members of society. The author then demonstrates that a proper and straightforward understanding of the psychopathic mindset is a reliable defence against their predations. By the time you finish this book, you will know everything you need to know.

Contrary to popular belief, the genuine psychopath is fairly unlikely to be a convicted serial killer ending his or her days in a prison cell. It's far more likely to be your manipulative work colleague or a close relative or a former lover who stole your heart or the person sitting beside you on a train.
They do not all look like Charles Manson or Pol Pot. They can appear to be charming, courteous, attractive, sexy, devout, helpful - in fact, they will be whatever you want them to be if they identify you as a target before you realise their real nature. Then they will use you up. Once they have taken whatever they wanted from you, they will discard you as if you were no more than a used battery. By that time they will have identified their next target and you will have outlasted your usefulness to them. Sheridan explains that "it's just business" in their view. They have no capability for feeling remorse, empathy, compassion or any of the positive, spiritual attributes of a human being.

There is strong scientific evidence that there will be at least one psychopath amongst every twenty or twenty-five people in the general population. Psychopaths will be found in practically any environment where they sense that they can take some advantage of an unsuspecting victim. And although victims won't necessarily be gruesomely murdered, they will still suffer appallingly as a result of their encounter with one of these dreadful creatures.

The author strongly stresses that not everybody who does bad things is a psychopath and we should not bandy the term around lightly. However, he also makes it very clear that there are reliable ways to determine if you are dealing with a genuine psychopath and there is a very good section of the book which addresses this specific area. I found myself suddenly making sense of previously incomprehensible episodes that had troubled me for many years. Now that the penny has dropped, it all makes sense. They do not trouble me now.

One of the most important aspects of the book is that it is not designed to frighten us or foster suspicion and mistrust. On the contrary, it is thoroughly positive and its essential theme is that knowledge of the problem is the best and surest form of protection. Mr. Sheridan convincingly argues that psychopaths are powerless against people who are wise to their manipulative devices. This vital knowledge is relatively easily acquired but, for lack of it, there are many decent human beings who have lost their homes, their marriages, their businesses, their savings, their confidence, their self-respect and even their will to live. For that reason, I can't recommend this book too highly.
55 comments|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 January 2012
Puzzling People explains the real nature of the psychopath and the danger signs to recognise when you have the misfortune to encounter one either in a close 'relationship' or within the workplace.

Thomas Sheridan brings our awareness of psychopathy up to new levels and, I, for one, am very glad he has written this book and explored the reality of the mind of the psychopath. It is deceptive to think of a psychopath as being in jail. Most of them are out here operating amongst us in relationships, in government, in all the professions and in financial institutions across the world. Some operate just beneath the criminal radar, but still commit crimes on a level that are breathtaking in the emotional, psychological and financial damage they inflict. This is a disturbing to say the very least and a majority of people are unaware of the dark and hidden dynamics that are the centrefold of the psychopath.

I believe knowledge and a core understanding of psychopathy to be crucial to everyone, in order to avoid the destructive and great emotional harm that comes from intimate contact with them in any way at all. Thomas Sheridan has illustrated the depth of hollowness and the damage of which psychopaths are capable in this book. He has encompassed the reality of the disturbing landscape which surrounds psychopathy and given us the tools of how to avoid it in the future.

I highly recommend 'Puzzling People' to everyone!
on 6 March 2013
I bought this book after buying and reading Thomas Sheridan's other two books, Defeated Demons: Freedom from Consciousness Parasites in Psychopathic Society, and The Anvil of The Psyche. This was after finding Thomas Sheridan by chance one afternoon on a Youtube Video with Vinny Eastwood.
We all read good books, some very good, some ok, and occasionally we find a book or an author which stands out from the rest, and in some cases even changes your life. These 3 books by Thomas Sheridan have done just that for me. After suffering from a traumatic break up two and a half years ago, and still until reading these books, I thought it was my fault, I was to blame. This deeply troubled me from the summer of 2010, even more so as a family member was involved. When in point of fact I think i was dealing pr had been dealing with a Psychopath woman hell bent on destroying me.
These books have helped me understand exactly what happened, how it happened, why it happened and more importantly how to prevent being a victim of a Psychopath again...I do not use the word Psychopath lightly for describing what I dealt with, only through these books and listening to Thomas Sheridan in interview have I come to understand and feel confident in labelling my past experience as with a psychopath. I firmly know that everybody should read these books and listen to Thomas Sheridan in interview on Youtube and his website [...]. It could very well just save your life and sanity, quite literally.
on 7 September 2012
This is an excellent read and led me to investigate the subject of psychopathy further. I don't agree with everything the author says (find me the book where I am totally in accord!) but the basics are sound and verifiable if one care's to look. The distinctive feature of this book is it's accessibility - it is jargon free and will be understood by everyone who reads it. I have an academic background in Psychology and Social Work and would most certainly recommend this book to those individuals who have been targeted by psychopaths.
It's a pity that a smear campaign has been taking place, apparently due to some sort of argument or disagreement. This is most unprofessional and says more about those involved in it than it does about the author of the book.
on 23 November 2012
Let's keep things of value supported and this book is of infinite worth - so buy it! Thomas Sheridan also gives radio interviews and his own vlogs - most of which you can find on youtube - I have almost watched them all and these are brilliantly insightful and empower you similarly but in my opinion you really find out a lot more in the books so buy them now because in this case - it's better EARLY than never and it ultimately provides solutions and well-being. How amazing is that By the way - you need to get both books - but if you can only buy one at a time - either will do - a little knowledge goes a very long way. Here's to your empowerment and big love to Thomas, he is one of my greatest hero's - the confidence you have to have to expose this in the face of accepted 'fact' is very admirable - everyone should thank him personally!
on 2 October 2014
Excellent information. I wish I had read this 20 years ago. Now I know what to look out for in the future and decide how to deal with it. We need to be told about psychopaths because they are so different I don't know how any decent person could ever guess how they think. I no longer see myself as a failure for not behaving like a cardboard cut-out at work - just human. Thank you Thomas Sheridan.
on 12 November 2011
I have read several books on this subject and in my opinion this one is the best. It offers a wealth of information in a personal and easy to read way and if you have ever been in a situation where you have encountered such a person this book could be invaluable to you. I can't recommend this book highly enough.
on 13 June 2011
After listening to a pod cast with Thomas Sheridan I simply had to buy this book, this is a truly enlightening read, you will never look at the world or those around you in quite the same way again.