5.0 out of 5 stars Essential information and practical help.
If ever there was a book which I wish I'd read twenty or thirty years earlier, it's "Puzzling People: The Labyrinth Of The Psychopath."

Published on 18 Aug 2011 by ManAtTheWindow

2.0 out of 5 stars Psychopaths rule our world
I think Sheridan's book serves as a helpful synopsis of the research into humanity's intra-species predator. It doesn't beat delving into the original reading material itself (Without Conscience, Snakes in Suits, Sociopath Next Door, Political Ponerology, etc) but it's a good starting point into what is at once a complex topic and yet something that can be readily grasped...
Published on 31 Oct 2011 by Niall

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential information and practical help., 18 Aug 2011
ManAtTheWindow (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Puzzling People: The Labyrinth of the Psychopath (Paperback)

Firstly, it's worth highlighting Mr. Sheridan's motivation for writing this book. It was not for the sake of adding to the many fine academic studies which have already been done by eminent researchers. It stemmed from his attempts to make sense of his own disturbing encounters with a number of chilling characters with whom he had had the misfortune to come into contact. He was drawn to the study of all the available psychiatric literature over a number of years. As his own understanding increased, he realised that what he had learned could save a great many people from a lot of avoidable distress. This book is the result. It's a practical guide for everyone rather than a specialised treatise for academics.

Thomas Sheridan explains in clear language that because our notions of a psychopath are dangerously short of the mark, we needlessly make ourselves vulnerable to predatory, cold-hearted parasites who have no feelings of empathy or shame and yet appear on face value to function as normal members of society. The author then demonstrates that a proper and straightforward understanding of the psychopathic mindset is a reliable defence against their predations. By the time you finish this book, you will know everything you need to know.

Contrary to popular belief, the genuine psychopath is fairly unlikely to be a convicted serial killer ending his or her days in a prison cell. It's far more likely to be your manipulative work colleague or a close relative or a former lover who stole your heart or the person sitting beside you on a train.
They do not all look like Charles Manson or Pol Pot. They can appear to be charming, courteous, attractive, sexy, devout, helpful - in fact, they will be whatever you want them to be if they identify you as a target before you realise their real nature. Then they will use you up. Once they have taken whatever they wanted from you, they will discard you as if you were no more than a used battery. By that time they will have identified their next target and you will have outlasted your usefulness to them. Sheridan explains that "it's just business" in their view. They have no capability for feeling remorse, empathy, compassion or any of the positive, spiritual attributes of a human being.

There is strong scientific evidence that there will be at least one psychopath amongst every twenty or twenty-five people in the general population. Psychopaths will be found in practically any environment where they sense that they can take some advantage of an unsuspecting victim. And although victims won't necessarily be gruesomely murdered, they will still suffer appallingly as a result of their encounter with one of these dreadful creatures.

The author strongly stresses that not everybody who does bad things is a psychopath and we should not bandy the term around lightly. However, he also makes it very clear that there are reliable ways to determine if you are dealing with a genuine psychopath and there is a very good section of the book which addresses this specific area. I found myself suddenly making sense of previously incomprehensible episodes that had troubled me for many years. Now that the penny has dropped, it all makes sense. They do not trouble me now.

One of the most important aspects of the book is that it is not designed to frighten us or foster suspicion and mistrust. On the contrary, it is thoroughly positive and its essential theme is that knowledge of the problem is the best and surest form of protection. Mr. Sheridan convincingly argues that psychopaths are powerless against people who are wise to their manipulative devices. This vital knowledge is relatively easily acquired but, for lack of it, there are many decent human beings who have lost their homes, their marriages, their businesses, their savings, their confidence, their self-respect and even their will to live. For that reason, I can't recommend this book too highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely essential reading for everyone!, 30 Jan 2012
Puzzling People explains the real nature of the psychopath and the danger signs to recognise when you have the misfortune to encounter one either in a close 'relationship' or within the workplace.

Thomas Sheridan brings our awareness of psychopathy up to new levels and, I, for one, am very glad he has written this book and explored the reality of the mind of the psychopath. It is deceptive to think of a psychopath as being in jail. Most of them are out here operating amongst us in relationships, in government, in all the professions and in financial institutions across the world. Some operate just beneath the criminal radar, but still commit crimes on a level that are breathtaking in the emotional, psychological and financial damage they inflict. This is a disturbing to say the very least and a majority of people are unaware of the dark and hidden dynamics that are the centrefold of the psychopath.

I believe knowledge and a core understanding of psychopathy to be crucial to everyone, in order to avoid the destructive and great emotional harm that comes from intimate contact with them in any way at all. Thomas Sheridan has illustrated the depth of hollowness and the damage of which psychopaths are capable in this book. He has encompassed the reality of the disturbing landscape which surrounds psychopathy and given us the tools of how to avoid it in the future.

I highly recommend 'Puzzling People' to everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down., 4 Mar 2013
We have been programed to think of psychopaths as violent criminals like Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy or movie characters like Norman bates.
Thomas Sheridans Puzzling People explains the real nature of the psychopath, this evolutionary offshoot that walks among us, this small percent of the population have the same symptom, namely a complete lack of conscience. The difference is that the majority with this mental disposition operate within the laws and only rarely get caught but destroying lives in the process. This book that's extremely well written and makes it very clear that psychopaths are not like us, they can not be reasoned with or reformed. This knowledge is invaluable for anyone whose life comes in contact with a psychopath, past, present or future, and gives testimony from victims of psychopaths and also Arouses the curiosity for all who seek to understand human behavior. I passed this great read on to a friend who is studying for a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology & sociology, she passed it on and recommended it to her class mates and lecturers, it got great feedback. Ive read six books on psychopathy and puzzling people is the one i always recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended Highly!, 2 Oct 2012
I wasn't sure what I to expect but I have to say this has been the best read in a long time! I would highly recommend it to anyone who has ever come across a psychopath and are at a loss of how to cope with them or how to get rid of them. Thomas Sheridan has done some amazing research and know's his stuff, but the great thing is that he put's it in a away that the general public can get to grips with it, without having a dictionary on standby! Fantastic addictive reading that has been fodder for the Soul...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read!, 7 Sep 2012
This is an excellent read and led me to investigate the subject of psychopathy further. I don't agree with everything the author says (find me the book where I am totally in accord!) but the basics are sound and verifiable if one care's to look. The distinctive feature of this book is it's accessibility - it is jargon free and will be understood by everyone who reads it. I have an academic background in Psychology and Social Work and would most certainly recommend this book to those individuals who have been targeted by psychopaths.
It's a pity that a smear campaign has been taking place, apparently due to some sort of argument or disagreement. This is most unprofessional and says more about those involved in it than it does about the author of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth buying, 12 Nov 2011
I have read several books on this subject and in my opinion this one is the best. It offers a wealth of information in a personal and easy to read way and if you have ever been in a situation where you have encountered such a person this book could be invaluable to you. I can't recommend this book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to understand and move on from psychopathic people, 17 Sep 2011
Mrs. L. W. Baxendale (Leeds. W. Yorks) - See all my reviews
I cannot praise this book enough. After experiencing life dicatated by a psychopath for many years and previously reading the Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout and Without Concience by John D Hare, this book helped so much. It is not academic is phrasiology, but explains the tricks and manipulations on how these people 'feed' off caring and loving people. It gave me the understanding and feeling that I was not alone and have learned and become stronger despite a life that had been so deeply upsetting. I have built on these past negatives and have become positive and view this now as a lesson in life and use it for a more happy and a more self esteemed future, knowing my boundaries and not being caught again in their trap.

If you have also experienced the hurt that these people inflict, this book will explain and help you dissassociate with these truely horrendous people for good.

5.0 out of 5 stars An eye opening Read, 13 Jun 2011
M. Robson "Robfury" (London) - See all my reviews
After listening to a pod cast with Thomas Sheridan I simply had to buy this book, this is a truly enlightening read, you will never look at the world or those around you in quite the same way again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A seed is planted, 1 Oct 2013
Many negative reviews of this book either attack the author or take issue with the emotive and invested tone of the writing. While I understand this on a superficial level, psychopathy IS an emotive issue and I'm of the school of life that believes emotions do not necessarily detract from the truth but can take us right to it, even though I agree that an excess of emotion can be blinding and self-harming in many cases.

Such, however, is not the case of this book; on the contrary, Sheridan's writing is sufficiently detached and firm to grasp this difficult and, indeed, horrendous topic. It is true that his official blog which I have recently checked out can be off putting in terms of the heated exchanges on there but it would be an error to take that as enough of a reason to discard his work altogether - after all, Thomas is only human and if he does respond angrily to anonymous bloggers who want to discredit him that is in fact proof that he is not a cunning, cynical psychopath - anger and being upset are all too human, and should be taken as evidence for his non psychopathic nature.

Moreover, the author makes it clear in his introduction that his statements and words are not holy writ, that it is up to the reader to ponder and digest or expel the seeds of questioning and self-knowledge that are planted by a reading of this book, whether from the position of someone who has been a target, on repeated occasion, of psychopathic behaviour (as I myself) or otherwise. To quote Sheridan,

"I will use my non-academic licence to draw the conclusions which I believe should be put out there for consideration. Psychopaths are far too dangerous to be ignored or stereotyped into triviality and fiction. . . To any who may question the validity of my research and findings, my answer would be that a victim of child abuse does not need to obtain a PhD in Human Biology in order to understand the impact of paedophiles or have the ability to recognize them later on in life. I am writing this book as survivor who has backed up his assertions with meticulous research. Make of it what you will; I am just a messenger. Use your own discernment regarding the validity of the message and how it might resonate with your own experience."

I think this book is an excellent, forceful and frequently enlightening discussion of psychopathology and while I never subscribe to anything point blank, it has influenced my thinking on this matter and on life generally and I think that is the ultimate purpose of this author and his work; like many thinkers before him, it is a case to encourage people to think for themselves and take it upon themselves, if they have the courage to do so, to question and use their intuition to make sense of the complex and often tortured tapestry of life so as to be stronger and more resilient in facing life's challenges - including the dreaded psychopaths.

Recommended to survivors and curious people generally.

Four stars and a half.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic life saving must read for everybody!!, 6 Mar 2013
I bought this book after buying and reading Thomas Sheridan's other two books, Defeated Demons: Freedom from Consciousness Parasites in Psychopathic Society, and The Anvil of The Psyche. This was after finding Thomas Sheridan by chance one afternoon on a Youtube Video with Vinny Eastwood.
We all read good books, some very good, some ok, and occasionally we find a book or an author which stands out from the rest, and in some cases even changes your life. These 3 books by Thomas Sheridan have done just that for me. After suffering from a traumatic break up two and a half years ago, and still until reading these books, I thought it was my fault, I was to blame. This deeply troubled me from the summer of 2010, even more so as a family member was involved. When in point of fact I think i was dealing pr had been dealing with a Psychopath woman hell bent on destroying me.
These books have helped me understand exactly what happened, how it happened, why it happened and more importantly how to prevent being a victim of a Psychopath again...I do not use the word Psychopath lightly for describing what I dealt with, only through these books and listening to Thomas Sheridan in interview have I come to understand and feel confident in labelling my past experience as with a psychopath. I firmly know that everybody should read these books and listen to Thomas Sheridan in interview on Youtube and his website [...]. It could very well just save your life and sanity, quite literally.

ARRAY(0xa7742c48)

Puzzling People: The Labyrinth of the Psychopath
Puzzling People: The Labyrinth of the Psychopath by Thomas Sheridan (Paperback - 1 Mar 2011)
11.95