5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!
I loved the book! I have read the first story from these two authors and I have found it a bit violent, but this new book is perfect! The exogenesis concept is somehow complex, but at some point, you wonder what is based on actual science, and what is imagination.

Published on 5 Mar 2007 by Kat

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I like all the previous Stargate Atlantis novels and rank them between good, very good and excellent. But this is the first one I rank as pretty poor.

Published on 20 Jan 2007 by Haddrell

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 5 Mar 2007
This review is from: Stargate Atlantis: Exogenesis (Mass Market Paperback)

It's fantastic to see how the authors have dug into Rodney's mind. This story arc was my favourite part of the book. The authors made us realise why Rodney is, well... Rodney. It's also great to see how they portrayed Zelenka and Beckett, along with the more common members of the team.

Once I started to read, I could barely put the book down, I always wanted to read "one more chaper"... I strongly recommend this story!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional on all counts, 10 Feb 2007
This review is from: Stargate Atlantis: Exogenesis (Mass Market Paperback)
These writers have gone from strength to strength in their novels, and this is definitely five stars on all levels: plot, characterization and as a superby written Stargate novel highlighting morally difficult choices.

The plot is well paced and while taking unexpected twists, unfolds in a coherent manner that doesn't have you going back several chapters to try and keep track of what's happened. This despite the fact that events are taking place in several places simultaneously. Importantly, I feel, there was no falling back on convenient pieces of technology to save the day, rather, it required co-operation, ingenuity and insight. There's certainly nothing predictable about the outcome other than the ethically difficult choices that lend a gritty realism to the situation. While very much set in the Atlantis universe, this is a Stargate story at its best.

As a long time fan of the series, the only criticism I have had with Atlantis spin-off is the somewhat skimpy character development in the first seasons. In Exogenesis, I am particularly pleased that Teyla is not portrayed as the token beautiful alien, but a complex and vital character in a situation that highlights her abilities as a leader of her people and her down to earth, practical spirituality. The book has some of the most insightful dialogue for Teyla I have read or heard.

The interaction between Beckett and Radek Zelenka, their observations of McKay as a scientist and their reactions to his supposed demise (I don't consider that a spoiler as the story is set in Season 2 and we know he appears in Season 3) give us an excellent point of view that provides an added dimension. The book also portrays the emotional fall-out that real people in real life situations experience when deeply traumatized. In reality, people don't just bounce back happily for the next episode, and are entitled to feel despair, and as a reader, I want to see this insight and not have it hidden away and pretend our heros would never feel this way. This is particularly true of McKay, who the series has shown us is unable to rid himself of his arrogance. For a few pages in this novel we see that arrogance stripped away and the man beneath, without ever losing sight of McKay himself.

Weir's difficult choices as a leader, and the sort of insights that embody great leadership are also portrayed with flare. Although I did not agree with it, I very much like her reluctant siding with Caldwell, and Ronon's staunch loyalty to both Sheppard and the team as a whole.

Overall, an excellent and gripping page-turner that's bound to stand up there along with `classic' episodes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exogenesis, 3 Jun 2014
A very good book to read. With one of the main characters discovering pure love for the first time. I would recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars short and sweet, 13 Oct 2013
Very good quick read, have to know your stargate to understand certain aspects which I do :) hope more to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much sought after deleted title, 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: Stargate Atlantis: Exogenesis (Mass Market Paperback)
I have to admit to not having read it yet, but the simple fact that I managed to get hold of one for substantially less than some charlatans have been asking, means that I'm thrilled with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars SGA magic!, 1 Nov 2012
I was so upset when I found out that there were to be no more SGA on TV, then I discovered the books!! Great for any fans out there missing the weekly input but also great stories for any syfi fans deleving into the Pegagus galaxy and travel by stargate. Really good to find out more about the characters we know as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I want from a tie-in!, 20 July 2009
This review is from: Stargate Atlantis: Exogenesis (Mass Market Paperback)
Wow, what a great book. I mean it. Exactly what I missed in the latest two tie-ins (#10 and #11) - there was team adventure and friendship, not just nonsensical action and things going boom. I loved that not just the team - John, Rodney, Ronon and Teyla - had something to do, but also Elizabeth, Zelenka, Lorne, Carson, Caldwell and Halling. Saving Atlantis was a real team effort. I admit that the solution had a bit of a "deus ex machina" feel to it, but they did mostly use techniques applied in various SG-1 and SGA episodes and that was pretty neat. I would love to read more books written by these two authors! I enjoy their portrayal of our favorite heroes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 20 Jan 2007
This review is from: Stargate Atlantis: Exogenesis (Mass Market Paperback)

There are some good moments in it but that I also see positive aspects in this book has mainly to do with it that I am a big fan of the TV series and enjoy these characters. Some of the interaction, some of the character moments are very nice and there is some good humour in this book. But what saves this book from being a complete disaster to me is the part Weir is playing towards the end. She is decisive, inventive and shows good leadership, especially during the confrontation with Sheppard. For a moment I nearly forgot how much I was tempted before to stop reading.

Another plus is certainly the part Zelenka is playing. I like him and would welcome it to see him more often on TV. That the authors gave him more to do in this book is good but nevertheless, this novel is first of all a McKay book. He is my second favourite character of this series after Sheppard but within limits. Too much McKay, too much emphasis on his arrogance, his brilliance, his lack of personal skills is turning what is usually charming in spite of his weaknesses into an annoyance. Unfortunately this book never stops to tell the readers what a great guy he is. We also get excuses for his faults, namely his upbringing and his problems when growing up at being accepted as a genius. It was embarrassing. More, I felt annoyed.

After he was presumed dead the book adds another annoyance, meaning H/C (Hurt/Comfort) at its worst. This is a fan fiction term for stories written by female fans (I have never seen a H/C story written by a male fan) in which the hero is badly hurt or dangerously ill and lovingly nursed back to health. I have nothing against a bit of H/C. In moderation it can enrich a book but not if it is written like this.

Not that it was any surprise but it was revealed that Turpi, the woman who healed and nursed him is literally a beauty within an ugly shell - beauty inside of a beast comes to mind. What is annoying is, if the authors would have tuned town the flowery language at times, the exaggerated emotions, the soppy, sugar coated stuff, I would actually have enjoyed reading this part of the book. But reading that Turpi was immediately in love with this tragic but so precious soul within McKay`s body (maybe it was even meant as, like her), that was too much. And after her end, the authors went over the top again, describing how devastated he was.

This is another book showing us that the Ancients were not always noble, that at least some of them did very bad things. The book went back and forth here, sometimes it was condemned what was going on, at other times it seems the authors were pleading for some understanding and compassion nevertheless.

To me, this book was a big disappointment. It felt like bad fan fiction to me and I hope that the next book will return to the high standard I enjoyed until now.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just OK, 21 Feb 2007
This review is from: Stargate Atlantis: Exogenesis (Mass Market Paperback)
I thought the actual story was alright but the constant references to other Stargate episodes was annoying. I felt like you could hardly turn a couple of pages without Weir saying she'd read a mission report when something like this happened to SG1 or the same thing happened when..., or John knowing that feeling all to well from when he.....It really put me off wanting to finish the book.

Stargate Atlantis: Exogenesis
Stargate Atlantis: Exogenesis by Beth Christensen (Mass Market Paperback - Oct 2006)
Used & New from: 4.89