on 6 October 2009
A delightful little book filled with clear instructions and explanation of what happens at mass. It's beautifully crafted and bound and would snugly fit in a jacket pocket for easy transport to Church or coffee shop.
I have been attending mass all my life and even been an alter server, but didn't really know what the mass was about untill I read this book. Sadly, I have only known the new order of mass post second Vatican council, and this book showed me that there's more to mass than the prayers we mumble and actions we follow automatically. The book is an explanation of the Tridentine mass, but it's easily substituted to the modern mass too. However, the richness of the language of the old mass, and their explanation then is lost when one follows the mundane, mediocre language used in the modern mass. I feel cheated by the Church fathers who brought in changes to the beautiful and sacred rite of mass and gave us instead a happy clappy celebration of a meal. Reading this book will want you to follow the Tridentine mass, and then you'll be sadened that its not so freely available. I am a post second Vatican council catholic, but increasingly unhappy at the abuse of the liturgy. This book has made me understand that the mass transcends all the petty changes and ideas we have about how things should be and instead sharply focus our attention on what actually happens at mass. Buy it and read it, It'll change your life!
on 9 December 2014
Top book explains Latin Mass beautifully.