5.0 out of 5 stars A rare and unsung classic that whispers greatness., 28 Sep 2001
By A Customer
The King of the Copper Mountains, is undeniably a landmark in children's literature that has for some reason gone unnoticed.
The story is that of a King who in order to survive, whilst his Wonder Doctor goes off and adventures for a cure to stifle his ailing heart, listens to stories from the inhabitants of the world that surrounds his 'copper castle'.
The books is separated into neat nine or ten page chapters, whereby each animal will retell a story that they have to share with the king.
The structure is full of repetition, and the characters are so varied that children will be waiting in baited breath to see who will next knock on the great castle doors.
The cast is large, from sheep and beetles, to lions and three-headed dragons, each with their own tale to share. The language is simple and the imagary strong, with a range of stories that are all cleverly interwoven by them being shared with the king and the other animals listening.
Some of the tales are sad, happy, humorous, thoughtful and touching.
I have used the book as one to read to my class ( 9-10yr olds ) and they loved it. I can also see it being used as a super bedtime story that your children would almost scutter off to bed without compaint so that they could find out who would tell the king the next story and what manner of creature it would be.
A book that has gone unnoticed and never, ever should have. Unmissable in a gross understatement.

5.0 out of 5 stars a beautiful esoteric tale for children, 3 Jan 2008
Nigel C. Jackson "SetheusPalingenius700" (Terre de Salvaesche) - See all my reviews
I read 'The King of the Copper Mountains' in my childhood around the early 1970s and it really is a story, with truly memorable tales nested within it, full of compelling images, that has glowed on in my mind through the years and retained its imaginative lustre. It has that elusive and enchanting quality that the best traditional stories possess, unfolding a narrative which is by turns humorous, magical, eerie, very moving and finally redemptive and wholly satisfying in it's resolution, with a somewhat folkish and alchemical undercurrent - all in all a truly wonderful book which like all the best fiction in this vein conveys deeper spiritual wisdom and values but always remains nonetheless a simply beautiful story, skilfully told. Join the companions, beast, dwarf, bird, beetle and human, in the castle chamber of old King Mansolain and be drawn into their marvellous and heart-touching stories as the Wonder-Doctor seeks over hill and dale for the healing herb, the life-giving Golden Speedwell...wonderful and delicate stuff, this novel. It has that rare quality which marks out the classic and speaks directly to the inner Child within us all...

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic book :), 10 Jun 2010
Miss Annette G. Peartree (England) - See all my reviews
I had the king of the copper mountains read to me when I was about 8 and wanted my daughter (who's 7) to experience it too.

We read a chapter a night so enjoyed over 2 weeks of bedtime reading (I enjoyed reading as much as she enjoyed listening!)

The author describes everything beautifully and in a way that is lost to many contemporary childrens writers.

It's a classic :)

4.0 out of 5 stars King of The Copper Mountais as good as I remembered., 17 May 2009
I remembered this from my childhood and it is still a delight to read.And because it is a linked collection of short stories within a main story there is lots of variety in the book as all the diffrent creatures tell their tales,some funny and some moving.But will they be able to keep the king alive long enough for his doctor to find a cure?

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read classic!, 23 Dec 2011
This review is from: The King of the Copper Mountains (Paperback)
How wonderful that this is back in print again - my copy has fallen to pieces and I have been trying to replace it for years. I read this book over and over again as a child - the story is immensely appealing, especially with having the stories within the main story that are so totally different from one another. Every child I have ever read it too has loved it also and has always wanted to hear the next animal's story. If you have children and have not read this - get it as soon as possible - it stands the test of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking children's book, 17 April 2012
This review is from: The King of the Copper Mountains (Paperback)
I read this when I was 9 and was enthralled and didn't stop reading it until I was around 14. I bought it so that my 7 year old can enjoy magical writing and a great story. Paul Biegel is a master storyteller who should be better known in this country, particularly The Seven Times Search - an absolute must for children struggling with maths.

5.0 out of 5 stars A blast from the past, 30 Jan 2012
This review is from: The King of the Copper Mountains (Paperback)
I read this book as a child, and was delighted to see it make a reappearance on the school bookshelf. I still remember desperately urging the Wonder Doctor to get back in time...for there to be one more story to keep the king alive until he did...In purchasing this book, I'm revisiting something I've remembered for nearly forty years, and can't wait to share with my own children.
The book consists of many short stories, told from the viewpoint of the varied creatures. They are happy, sad, thought-provoking...and easy to deal with in bite-size chunks for more reluctant readers. Suitable for children to read for themselves, or for you to read to them for some very special bedtimes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A trip down memory lane!, 3 Mar 2012
This review is from: The King of the Copper Mountains (Paperback)
I read this book myself as a child and recently bought it to read to my daughter. It was such a lovely experience to share it and relive it with her. We read one chapter each night before bedtime and she could not wait to hear the stories of the animals each evening. A very simple but enchanting story - a must!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful book!, 8 Aug 2011
This review is from: The King of the Copper Mountains (Paperback)
I read 'The King of the Copper Mountains' when i was a young boy of maybe 7 or 8, and it led me onto a love of fantasy books by Tolkien, Moorcock, Lumley etc. Now, a father i have bought this book to read with my 9year old daughter.
The King of the Copper Mountain is split into various short stories linked together by a single quest, so you can read a story every night. I would recommend this book to any parent wanting to sit and read short stories with their child (who can be of any age) and each story has a worthy, warming, intelligent message behind it. When I thought about how i could easily describe this book to anyone, it came down to; it's simply a book that makes you smile at the end of every chapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars a glorious read, 5 May 2004
Y. E. Baron (Salford, Grtr Manchester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is a wonderful story about an ooold king who feels he is dying; only the speedwell plant can help him. While his animal subjects go to get the plant from a far distant land they send him a number of animals whom they meet on the way whose tales interest the king greatly. The tales actually all interconnect and bring you to a very sweet climax. I loved this book as a ten year old and I still enjoy it as a 36 year old! (Of course if you don't like talking animals then this is not for you!)

The King of the Copper Mountains
The King of the Copper Mountains by Paul Biegel (Paperback - 4 Oct 2010)
4.79