Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 27 November 2013
I first came across this humble little book more years ago than I care to remember, when I was a student studying horticulture.

It was invaluable then, and has been worn out through use since then.

This new version is just as good as the original, a simple, down to earth boo that explains the meaning behind plant names.

Once you understand why the plant has been given a name, remembering it so much easier.
on 22 April 2013
I looked at several different books on the market and some were more of the coffee table variety but this is a small concise volume which has all the information you need without pictures or 'interest' boxes taking up space. It's not an exhaustive list of all plants but there and an awful lot of plants in the world so I'll forgive it. It's had 99% of plants I've every looked up in it. Exactly what I wanted
on 8 October 2014
Currently doing a floristry course this book helps a lot as I could not understand what the tutors were talking about but this book makes sense and I know what the tutors are talking about when they say the technical names for the plants Thankyou so much sorry for late review only got chance to write review now. Thankyou for the book it arrived this morning
on 12 November 2011
As with most of my other items, I bought this for my Horticulture course I'm doing. This is a very good book to find out what the Latin name of a plant means. There are probably better books that do the same thing but I bought this as it was cheaper than some of the other books. Seems to be very good at explaining what a plants Latin name means.
on 17 September 2014
Brilliant book - it's so interesting and informative being able to know stuff like:
eg. Phormium (comes from the Greek word "phormos" which means "basket"). and tenax meaning "tough" - this plant used to be used for basket making. This book is so good if you really want to show off in the Garden Centre.
on 22 June 2013
This Royal Horticultural Society publication is, in the opinion of professional nurserymen, simply the best book on the subject. I give copies to my family and all my gardening friends. It has been published for generations, and deservedly so!
on 23 February 2013
Contains the origin or definition of hundreds of plant epithets. The epithets are arranged according to genus not A-Z and there are some repetitions. I prefer if the words were all A-Z, but for few pounds it is worth it.
on 24 October 2010
The latin names of flowers and plants are very easy mispronounced, y the way this book instructs, the build up of the names, is more than helpful.
on 5 May 2014
This book is priceless for botanising. It could do with updating more often. The classic omission is Chaenomeles which is always pronounced wrong, is a well used plant and should be there.
on 27 August 2014
Very interesting book but, due to its ethos and size the entries are limited to those grown in the average garden so there are lots of names not included but worth buying all the same.