5.0 out of 5 stars Read it
Do no harm is the second of Carol Topolski's books that I have read. Like the first it uncovers the secret lives that people lead behind closed doors and drawn curtains.

Published on 11 April 2011 by Mr. J. Nicholson

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, was quite a struggle to finish...
Published 3 months ago by Emma

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it, 11 April 2011
This review is from: Do No Harm (Paperback)

Virginia is a brilliant robust gynaecologist and obstetrician who (as characters that precede her in monster love) is remarkably drawn by topolski and fatally flawed. She appears in her public persona to be the picture of middle class perfection. She is genius in her job and holds her patients interests and well being as paramount. Secretly she perverse and disturbed in her approach to her own sexual and emotional desires, which lead her to increasingly dark and daring acts.

What I love most about Topolski's writing is her ability to get inside each and every one of her characters. She can just as easily slip into the shoes of a world war veteran as she can an Asian male doctor, facing the usual prejudices of england in the 70s.

She jumps around in time with great ease also and allows the reader to travel seamlessly from virginia's less than perfect childhood to her less than perfect maturity.

A gripping and frightening exploration of what happens when those we elevate to impossible heights in society; let us down in the most unthinkable ways!

4.0 out of 5 stars what she wants ..., 31 Mar 2011
M. J. Hart - See all my reviews
This review is from: Do No Harm (Paperback)
Now that Carol Topolski has a second novel on the bookstore shelves we can begin to detect a theme emerging in the work of this vividly talented new author on the scene - and it's an unusual theme. Most of all, I think, she wants us to have a cracking good read. And we do. There's a complex structure here, with flashbacks and quick changes, but the style is fast and witty and sensuous and she keeps us with her. The story is painful, unexpected, and takes us to the dark side of the human mind. But what is clearer now, with this new work, is the theme of understanding what seems, to most of us, un-understandable, the theme that ran so successfully through Monster Love. She is passionate about her insight into what drives people crazy - the pain and helplessness at the root of it - and she quietly, unobtrusively, as only fiction allows, invites us to join her on the side of humanity. There should be more authors like this, unafraid of giving a lively, compassionate voice to what is usually shunned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Why Done It, 18 Mar 2011
This review is from: Do No Harm (Paperback)
This an opulantly written and fascinating novel. It had me gripped from the opening pages - where the main protagenist prepares a meal. There are dark hints here of what is to come (and its not just eating disorders) through a serious study of the internal workings of a troubled psyche. The fact that the 'heroine' is an eminent pillar of the community makes it all the more dramatic. We come to understand her past as well as her present professional relationships through layered chapters. Her personal relationships though are both empty and full. Empty of love and full of professional accomplishment and the vicarious thrills of S&M. Despite its subject matter, this is not a book for voyeurs or the prurient, it is rather a thriller (a literary thriller) that takes us on a journey of discovery - and I urge readers to take this journey with Ms Topolski. As a practising pshycoanalyst, she knows her stuff. She also knows how to write a balanced book, for within its pages are characters who love and are loved, throwing into sharper relief the 'sicknesses' when it all goes wrong.

Janet Carol

5.0 out of 5 stars An utterly gripping novel!, 13 Mar 2011
This review is from: Do No Harm (Kindle Edition)
I was unable to put this book down! It is a wonderful psychologically thrilling novel with several twists and turns. It's characters are beautifully observed and I loved the way the characters complexity 'grew' on me as the plot developed, and what initially seemed like inexplicable behaviour, gradually became comprehensible and real within the context of the book.
I am already looking forward to the next novel by this author. This is an author who is unafraid of delving into the dark side of human nature, and does it with such humanity and understanding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Medical mind bending rollercoaster, 14 Mar 2012
This review is from: Do No Harm (Paperback)
A respected working professional tries to keep her private life away from her work life as do most people but Virgina's private life contains some shocking secrets.

The author divulges into Virgina's past in real detail which lets the reader make their mind up on how and why Virgina's professionalism goes downhill.

Topolski also makes each and everyone of her charachters come alive, making myself as a reader really relating or understanding their stories and lives.

A must read, really enjoyed this ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Do No Harm, 6 Mar 2011
This review is from: Do No Harm (Paperback)
This is a stunning book. I read the author's first novel, Monster Love, and although the subject is disturbing found it to be very well written and haunting. Excellent read if you can remain detached. I loved Do No Harm. Gripping. Recommended for readers who enjoy their psychological thrillers to be challenging and thought provoking.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, was quite a struggle to finish..., 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: Do No Harm (Kindle Edition)
I read this book following another book by the same author which blew me away. This one was put down, pick up, put down, pick up-has anything interesting happened yet?=no! Put down. I was glad to finish it. Maybe it was too subtle for me but I didn't really engage with the main characters and apart from the story concept (mad surgeon) being worrying if it happened in real life I struggled to understand both what made her a damaged person in the first place and to make sense of the relevance of all the periphery charaters. Deleted from device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: Do No Harm (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book.The characters were very well portrayed and believable. The story line was quite disturbing as we all put our trust in the medical profession! I have also read Monster Love which was a powerful, harrowing and haunting read and look forward to reading more by the author.

3.0 out of 5 stars Took me forever to read., 7 April 2013
F Keegan (N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Do No Harm (Paperback)
Strange book, I really enjoyed Monster Love and was so looking forward to this. The writing was excellent but the story line didn't pick up for me until the last fifty pages when it steamed along nicely. The only character I actually liked was Fasail . A darkly written book that took me forever to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I thought......., 17 Nov 2012
This review is from: Do No Harm (Kindle Edition)
I don't want to say it but I'm afraid I was a little disappointed with this book. After seeing such good reviews on amazon I was sure I was into a winner and the concept was unlike any other book I'd read before. It didn't grip me although some sections are very cleverly written and I liked how the characters started to weave together throughout the book. Maybe I didn't "get" this book but I i sometimes felt a bit lost reading it. That said, by no means let this put you off as everyone likes different things (as clearly shown by other reviews) I'm glad to add it to my ever increasing list of reading material.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Do No Harm
Do No Harm by Carol Topolski (Paperback - 27 Jan 2011)
Usually dispatched within 2 to 5 weeks