Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on 30 August 2010
What this book is not is a rival for the "Lonely Planet" type guide that you would buy ahead of your first weekend trip to Barcelona. Instead it goes under the skin of life in the Catalan capital and surrounding areas. Where this book differs from the dozens of "guide books" available are the sections where the author takes us on a tour of the districts of Barcelona recalling observations, anecdotes, humour and sharing his experience of a Catalan life, the depth of these you would not find elsewhere.

What comes across throughout the book is a clear passion for life in Barcelona and I would recommend this book as essential reading for travellers returning to Barcelona having first skimmed the surface with a guide book and tourist map.

Overall it is a very good read and the more the reader knows of Barcelona and Catalunya the more they will enjoy (or even envy) what is presented in this book.
on 19 September 2008
The book is aimed squarely at the British. The authour`s views on "Sunday Roasts", sandals with socks and a lack of asassimilation of the average Brit with the Spanish are very similar to my own.

Come to Spain and integrate. I had forgotten how important Catalan is in the provence. We had a house in Argeles Ville, just across in the border in France and one time had a three way conversation with our agents, Catalan for the Father, Spanish (Castilian , we had just returned from Colombia) and English for us and all three for the Son. Great fun.

Learned many things about the area. I had not realised how interesting Tarragonia is and it is now on my list of places in Spain to visit.

Could have done with a bit less history or maybe move it to the back of the book.

I live in Murcia province. If we are in a restaurant, we have to leave if there are more than two Brit couples in there. And dont get me started on "L" or "P" registered vehicles - CHANGE YOUR PLATES!

Thoroughily enjoyed the book and would recommend it to anyone thinking of living (anywhere) in Spain.