5.0 out of 5 stars A great help, recommended
This book gave me and my husband, who had been trawling the internet for months, help to finally settle on a name for our little girl. It has huge lists of girls & boys names (with their meanings) and also gives some great advice - like don't listen to your relatives!
Published on 19 April 2011 by P. Lomax

3.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed
Published 19 months ago by Liane

5.0 out of 5 stars A great help, recommended, 19 April 2011
P. Lomax - See all my reviews
This review is from: 10,000 Baby Names: How to choose the best name for your baby (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 11 Dec 2012
I now have 10,000 names I know I definitely won't choose for my baby. For each letter of the alphabet there were only a handful what I would call 'normal' names. I appreciate that we live in a multi-cultured society but am not sure even the descriptions fully cover some of the 'names'. For example 'Caca' a name for a girl is described as being Latin, original mythological goddess of the hearth. This is perhaps the case but it also means 'poo' in french!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired choice, 18 April 2011
We used this book to help us decide on the name of our baby boy. Having found it hard enough to choose the name of our first baby we were really struggling to come up with a name. This book gave us some new ideas and finally the inspiration we were looking for to choose a final few names to mull over. Great value, easy to use and all the names/meanings you need to help you make that all important decision

2.0 out of 5 stars Similar to other products, 10 Mar 2012
I must say I was quite disappointed with this book.
None of the names really stood out, and a vast amount of them seemed to be of Asian background.
Not very useful.

2.0 out of 5 stars not a bad book to look through, but..., 7 Dec 2011
Seemed like this would be a good book for helping us choose a name for our baby bump having 10,000 look through. Its full of unusual names and the more popular/ well known ones are scattered amongst them. As it happens we've chosen a name outside of this book, its not particularly unusual but its just not in this book, none of the spellings of it are.
This book would also be better if it told you how to pronounce some of the more unusual names - you could end up missing the perfect name because it isn't spelt how its said - an example is the name Caoimhe which is pronounced Kee-va.
I'd pass this book on to a friend but wouldn't tell anyone to buy it. There must be better books out there!

1.0 out of 5 stars 10,000 names? Questionable., 11 Oct 2013
I bought this book as I was really struggling for a little boys names. I wanted something quite traditional amd with 10,000 names I thought i was sure to find 1 I liked. There may be 10,000 names in this book, however 9/10 of these were foreign. Not a good book for anyone who is an English traditionalist.

1.0 out of 5 stars limited choice of names, 5 April 2013
the title suggests a bounty of names to choose from however with names like Frigg for a girl there are so many that are unuseable and therefore not much choice

4.0 out of 5 stars so many names ro choose from.....aaaagh, 18 April 2011
This book was great it has lots of names of all ethnic backgrounds.
The names are in alphabetically with descriptions of each name & meaning including pronunciations, same sounding names, names that were pairs (ideal for twins), famous people's names, etc.
The only thing we found very hard was to make the decision for the babies names as we were spoiled for choice and I will recommend it and pass it on to my pregnant friends & famiy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time, 17 Mar 2013
Far too many names with different backgrounds. Instead of putting random names together it might have been better to make volumes of these books so you could choose if you wanted to look at names you can't pronounce from all over the world. There was also no explanation of these new names and their cultural or religious background which is quite important to many people.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 2 Sep 2012
Bought this book looking for inspiration. Was very disappointed. The book is mainly made up of names from hindu, indian, hebrew, african, chinese, arabic, even hawaiian! Great if you are looking for different names that you will never have hear of..... there are about 9,000 of them in this book. But, if like me you were looking for some traditional and recent popular names then do not buy this book. My and my husbands names ae not even in this book and we have scottish names

10,000 Baby Names: How to choose the best name for your baby
10,000 Baby Names: How to choose the best name for your baby by Holly Ivins (Paperback - 1 Jun 2010)
4.79