5.0 out of 5 stars Very honest - maybe too much so!
Published on 17 Dec 2009 by C. C. Chivers

I prefer the perspective that pregnancy can be a lovely time and so much can go RIGHT during pregnancy and birth, but maybe that's just me! That aside it is a very readable primer on pregnancy that doesn't make you feel like you are doing homework.

Published on 28 Sep 2010 by Expatista

5.0 out of 5 stars Very honest - maybe too much so!, 17 Dec 2009
C. C. Chivers "ccchivers" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Pregnancy for Modern Girls: The naked truth about being pregnant (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like this book. It is very honest about what you should expect and is simple to read. However, in its honesty, it is also reassuring. It tells you things you may not otherwise be told even by the doctor or midwife and also gives statistics as well as comfort that not everyone experiences certain things. All the same, the prospect of possibly experiencing all the symptoms is rather daunting!

The book is interspersed with the observations of a number of women who have had different experiences, so you are not just getting the views of the author. It is very thoroughly researched and definitely worth buying.

Here's a list of the contents with some of my own summaries of what the chapters include:
1. You're pregnant! What now? - a general overview of what to expect and what tests are available.
2. Sick and tired: the joys of pregnancy
3. Womb with a view: your baby's growth
4. Care instructions: eating, drinking, and other potentially 'dangerous' activities - drugs, alcohol, exercise.
5. Office politics: pregnancy and your career - maternity leave, legal rights and waht to do with difficult bosses.
6. Hit and missionary: your love life during pregnancy
7. Delivery schedule: making plans for your baby's arrival - where are you going to have it and how?
8. Ready for take-off: preparing for your baby's birth - shopping, packing and the baby's position.
9. Labour day(s): what happens when you give birth - step by step including 'how much it hurts' and the time when you are in hospital.
10. Birth stories: six Modern Girls recall their labour day
11. Hey, baby: the first few weeks with your newborn

5.0 out of 5 stars Frank and to the point, 23 Nov 2009
Candi Says (Aberdeen, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
As a prospective mum to be, I decided to add this book to my growing collection of books on pregnancy.

I enjoyed this one as its frank and to the point. It answers a lot of my questions and I think it will be useful to refer to. The author, Hollie Smith pretty much covers everything you need to/will need to know and tells it how it is. She has also put in quotes from other women and their experiences. There is also a list of useful contacts at the back. I also found that it was easier to read and less likely to cause me anxiety than some of the other books I have read.

I would definitely recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Written in a lighthearted in tone, but from quite a negative perspective, 28 Sep 2010

Positives: it tackles some brave topics, such as the short but reassuring section for those who accidentally drank during pregnancy. A huge stressor for a lot of women, I think it was dealt with pretty well. A favourite bit is the section on birthing options which though not hugely detailed is quite comprehensive. I enjoyed that home births (though I am not brave enough for that!), water births etc were explained a bit, not just hospital-based experiences.

Some negatives: I personally would have prefered more consistent info in parts. While the author was the first person to ever tell me that epidurals make it more likely that forceps or ventouse will be required, when it came to caesarians she said nothing about risks/benefits to baby which is a big thing for most of us when considering the (often confusing) advice and options we've been given.

I agree with others that the breastfeeding section is negative; rather than brace women for its potential challenges she sounds like she's trying to put everyone off. Aside from a glib "it might help you loose weight in theory" comment it totally skips any info on the effect on mum's body like helping the uterous shrink back or how it requires more extra calories than pregnancy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for 1st time mums, 2 Dec 2009
Jessie (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great book for 1st time mums loads of sensible advice with a big hint of realism without being too off putting. I've got 2 kids and would have loved this book if only for giving me the go ahead to eat cooked blue cheese!!
There are no pictures or diagrams just sound bites from other Mums, a great questions with answers for the Modern Girl. There's not a hint of patronising advice here just the kind you'd get from your best friend - highly recommend it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 13 Sep 2011
I was really looking forward to getting my hands on this book - I found the cover very appealing, and the title piqued my curiosity. Sadly, the cover and the title turned out to be the two best things about it. Sure, there's useful information here, but you can find that in other pregnancy books as well. I honestly don't see what's so "modern" about this book. I found the choice to use handwriting (or print akin to handwriting) for all the quotes rather annoying. It was hard on the eyes and made me want to skip reading the quotes. I also think the book would have benefited from some photographs and illustrations.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining certainly..., 6 Jan 2010
LittleReader (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
... But perhaps a bit too fluffy??

HS advances upon her theme with determination and she certainly pens an amusing, easy to read docu-journal. The writing is fluid and is interspersed with boxes of further info and real life quotes/birth story's. She has a candid, no nonsense approach to pregnancy and I would imagine that anyone pregnant for the first time would find this book pretty useful - especially the bits about your rights at work and questions are answered that you might be too shy to ask your midwife about.

My only criticism is that it veers very much towards a medicalised birth scenario and the bits on breastfeeing, though partly warm and reassuring, were not well researched or executed and felt very negative.
That said, it is easy to read and would make an ideal gift - though to be fair, it's really only the level of information you'd expect to receive from your best mate or your mum!

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern, amusing and honest, 12 Dec 2009
Peter R (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is Peter's pregnant wife writing this review. I got hold of this book quite early on in my pregnancy and found it to be quite the god-send. Funny and honest, the book gives you a quick over-view through pregnancy without the medical jargon. As this is my first pregnancy, I was naturally buzzing with millions of questions - one of my favourite things about this book is the quotes from other women telling us how it was for them and for each stage and symptom. I cannot tell you how many times I read and re-read the bits about morning sickness, acid reflux, 'baby brain' and other such pregnancy delights that one can only experience to truly understand. And to read about how other people dealt with it is particularly helpful. Us girlies always like a chin-wag and this book is like having all your pregnant mates around to discuss bumps. As still being in the middle of the pregnancy, there are somethings I haven't experienced yet i.e the biggie (labour), but the information in there is good to know.
Occasionally, after throwing up for the upteempth time you sometimes wish there was a big more about the why and what to do about morning sickness but that is more borne out of the frustration of having seen the toilet bowl one too many times. All in all a different book to what is out there on the pregnancy shelf.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting reading for the newly pregnant, 18 Dec 2009
S. J. Mitchell (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I picked this book up out of interest as, having had a baby last year, I'm a sucker for anything pregnancy related. The book is written along the lines of the Best Friend's Guide to Pregnancy. Funny and chatty in tone it is surprisingly full of useful information. You won't find any of the usual timelines or womb views of the more straight laced guide books; this is more along the lines of having a chat with your mates in the pub over an orange juice. But the information is well presented and tells it how it is, too much information and all. I would have liked this book when I was pregnant as I found other books rather patronising and rather scary in tone. This book is a good read as well as telling you what you need to know.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good - a little too much truth sometimes!, 19 Jan 2010
Bridget O (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This looked really interesting to me because although I don't have children I'm about to become an Aunty. I realised I actually knew very little about what happens to you when you become pregnant about from a few vague memories from biology lessons. All those lessons telling how not to become pregnant and then a few pictures about what a baby looked like at different stages! Nothing about how you would feel and change when pregnant which this book covers with great honesty, humour and straightforward descriptions of what things may feel and look like!

This book was a real eye-opener. The pressure to have grand-children often means you don't really think what will happen to you relationship and your body until perhaps it's a little too late to do anything about it. The fact that I don't have to enjoy every part of being pregnant in the future is actually quite a relief. I understand more now about what my sister-in-law is going through and I have been able to ask more questions about how she's doing than before I read this book.

Very realistic. The only thing I would say is that if you're not pregnant it can be rather graphic and frank about how you may feel which I found as a rather good way to remember to use birth control. The whole section on not sleeping for 6 months after the baby is born is enough to put you off and that's after the bit about giving birth. Perhaps this book should come with a health warning - if you're not pregnant and read this book without being put off the idea you are now ready to have children!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great help during pregnancy, 18 Feb 2010
I. Clarke "isabellaclarke" (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a first time mother I had a lot to learn during pregnancy and this book really tells it how it is. Other books and websites are helpful with the theoretical pregnancy and early days with your baby but this book differs in that it looks are the real lives of women and their experiences without gloss or sparkle...just the fact. Although this book does not go into full detail of all areas it is a real help and ideal to use as a supplement to your own source of information about pregnancy and the early days of living with your newborn bundle of joy.

Pregnancy for Modern Girls: The naked truth about being pregnant