5.0 out of 5 stars Best Baby Book
Finally, a book that cuts through all the new mum crap out there - and tells you what you REALLY need to know.
I have a 6 month old daughter and this has been my best purchase since giving birth! I highly recommend this book for all new (and old) mums out there.
Published on 2 Mar. 2004 by threehillview

2.0 out of 5 stars Cow Thing?
Published on 29 Mar. 2008 by A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Baby Book, 2 Mar. 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars THE MOST READABLE TOP TIPS YOU'LL COME ACROSS, 16 April 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Babies for Beginners (Paperback)
If I'd read this before having my two children I'm sure my wrinkle, grey hair and bags-under-the-eyes quota would have been significantly reduced - if only because it's such a witty read. I scanned it in one evening and have a waiting list for it among my friends. Its best selling point is its amusing, no nonsense, decide for yourself approach. Read this before any other "how to be a fab parent" guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't have done it without this book, 3 Aug. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Babies for Beginners (Paperback)
This fabulous, fantastic baby book has just made such a difference to my life. It is clear and simple - even a new mother can understand it and our brains do turn to custard. It is funny - don't make me laugh with my stitches in.... It is practical and wonderfully helpful. This book has made such a difference to me. I was quite scared of being a mum for the first time and the other books were too technical, too full of jargon and i felt I was being patronised. This is written on a level that is just right - bet the author is a real mum who understands life from the other side and not just a writer with no real hands on experience.
Brilliant book. Brilliantly written . top marks for reassurance and simple practical help.
It should be given free to every new mum in every maternity ward in every hospital in the country. Why isn't it? Come on NHS - do something innovative......

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, basic,few good tips., 23 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Babies for Beginners (Paperback)
Funny, basic,few good tips. Would recommend to people like myself who had no clue. All stuff you will learn or need to know in the first month.

5.0 out of 5 stars A baby book you'll really enjoy reading., 11 Oct. 2005
Annette Nicolle (Gateshead, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Babies for Beginners (Paperback)
This is a clear, simple and, above all, very funny book for prospective parents.
If you are feeling daunted by the huge amount of literature out there and just want to hear some plain common-sense, I would recommend it.
It made me feel a lot better about the whole business of having a baby.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cow Thing?, 29 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Babies for Beginners (Paperback)
Not keen on this book at all. Fair enough, women shouldn't feel pressured into breastfeeding, but surely the sales of formula milk show that that's not the case? Everyone who's ever tried to breastfeed knows that it hurts. Everyone who's ever bought breast pads knows that nipple shields exist - they're usually on the supermarket shelf right next to them. They're mentioned several times in 'expecting a baby' type books. They're not part of a global midwife conspiracy. I feel that this book is quite an inaccurate account of the whole breastfeeding 'saga' and it's permeating a 'them and us' attitude towards midwives. Also - I hated the whole 'breastfeeding makes you a cow' thing. We're mammals. We give birth to live young and feed them our milk. It's natural. Get over it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny yet to-the-point, 26 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Babies for Beginners (Paperback)
I was brought this book just before giving birth to my daughter, and it really did prepare me for the birth and those tough first few months. It contains everything you would need to know without sugar-coating it or being really technical, just good, honest advice, and answers some of the questions that we might be too embarrassed to ask out loud!

I really would recommend this to anyone expecting their first baby, its brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars better than most, 6 April 2009
Edain "Edain" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Babies for Beginners (Paperback)
Though before my baby was born I thought this was just a fun 'comedy' look at newbornness, once the baby arrived I found that the 'proper' books weren't much use - you rely on your own baby's way of doing things, their own schedule, and I found myself turning more often to this book than the others. Sometimes you just want to know how to best change a nappy, how to bath the baby, how to dress it, how to feed it, without reading something that pushes a particular agenda or has an opinion on 'the best way'.

It presents breastfeeding and formulafeeding with all the pros and cons of each and doesn't push either.

5.0 out of 5 stars a godsend of a book, 7 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Babies for Beginners (Paperback)
Of all the boks i bought before my baby was born, this was my favourite. It made me laugh and made me feel confident about myself as a mum. I was very scared about being responsible for a new little life, but this book took the fear out of it and helped me enjoy my little girl. Even my bloke read it and liked it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend, 3 Jan. 2011
This is a really good and funny book that talks you through all the basics, like picking up the baby, bathing the baby, stopping the baby crying etc and reassures you that if you were trying to bath the baby and you haven't drowned it, and the baby is slightly cleaner than when it went in, you have succeeded! It made me feel a lot more confident about things, and I often thought about the things it says in there when my daughter was tiny and I was worried I was doing something wrong! The book dispels the myth that there is a right way to do everything and that you need all the equipment that some shops make out. This also book contains the least biased breastfeeding vs bottle-feeding comparison I have read (most clearly lean one way or the other). All in all, I would say this a great confidence-boosting book, though if you are looking for more in-depth techniques to help you understand/soothe your baby, you will probably need to buy another book as well, but this is a great book for covering the basics, and an excellent one for dads to read.

Babies for Beginners
Babies for Beginners by Roni Jay (Paperback - 19 Jun. 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01