5.0 out of 5 stars A really useful book to have, a great read!
Published on 1 Mar. 2007 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Too PC
Published 20 months ago by Pete Madden

5.0 out of 5 stars A really useful book to have, a great read!, 1 Mar. 2007
This book has really helped me get a view of french life. Even though i go to France every year this book has taught me all about buying a house and living in France. It has really useful tips and contacts, and tells you everything you need to know from having a baby in France to getting a job. I dont think i could have thought of anything more to ask, as all the answers were in this book. It is really detailed and set out in a way you can understand. I am really glad i purchasced this book and will keep it for many years as it is a great reference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good but info about utilities missing, 9 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Living and Working in France: A Survival Handbook (Living & Working) (Paperback)
I bought this book based upon the many excellent reviews it has - there is a lot of choice in this subject area. Although I have not yet finished the book I agree with most of the many reviews, it is a good book with plenty of information.

The one disappointment so far is the section on getting connected to the utilities, specifically electricity & water. This has a number of advertisements for the sister publication "Buying a Home in France" which apparently contains more information on this subject. My issue is that I am about to go and live in France, having bought a house in France that needs doing up, and I am going to need to have electricity and water connected very soon, so the sister publication is of little interest to me.

On a positive note I have saved much phoning around by acting on the information that Liverpool Victoria offers good car insurance for Brits that will be spending more than the average time in France over a year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Living and working in France David Hampshire., 12 July 2010
I first came across David Hampshire's 'Living and Working in France' when browsing the 50p shelves of a local second hand book shop and took it home with me as just a cheap dissinterested 'look see' purchase. On getting to grips with the book properly, I soon realized I had stumbled across a veritable treasure trove of information. It has to be the most comprehensive book of it's type available. However, the edition I had picked up was in fact ten years old, and liking what I had seen, decided to cough-up the full price for the latest edition. I now have that new edition on my desk, but sadly, it is no longer the 'complete package' that went before. Gone are the exceedingly useful 'utilities' section [water, electric & gas ] and with it some of it's fundamental usefulness. Apparently, the 'utilities' section has been moved to another of David Hampshires books [another fifteen quid, ah hum ] which leaves me a little dissatisfied.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful indeed, 9 July 2011
No book on French property will ever be as up to date as you need. During our visit to France this month so many rumours about taxes were flying around we needed to use the internet to calm down the sense of worry. But of the various books I have been buying to help us through the very stressful (don't let anyone say it is not traumatic) process of buying a house in France, this produces so much sensible advice it could have DONT PANIC on the cover like a well known science fiction classic. I know that as we go through life in Languedoc, owning our home in France, we will certainly not let this volume gather dust. Like a good guidebook to a town or a region and a detailed map, it is one of our essential always-to-hand volumes that will see us through a major change in our lifestyles. Very very glad that we have this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must ...., 25 Jan. 2008
Creme brulee (in a land far far away) - See all my reviews
I think there are only two books you ever need to buy about living and working in France. One of them of course is this one and the other is 'Renovating and maintaining your french home' by Joe Laredo. Both are books you cannot live without. From the 'big' topics you need and want to know to the 'smaller' topics you didn't even know or think you needed to know.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too PC, 21 July 2013
Whilst the reader will now doubt be left with a lots 'of facts' The fact, is that whist the Frence like to champion ' the cause for freedom' and sometimes, for all things EU.the reality is they tend to give two fingers to the regulations. I live In France with my family, The quality of life here is excellent, however in rural France, where we live, the proletariat couldn't give a monkeys.

Therefore, with respect to the author, David Hampshire, in the real world If we were to be guided by this book, the French folk would have yet another, on ne voulait pas le vexer, c'était pour rigoler

bonne journee

Pete

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best ......, 4 Jan. 2013
This colourful book is a must read for anyone considering moving to France to live and work. Each chapter is full of useful and interesting information set out in a very clear manner. The best book I've read on the subject. Money well spent!

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting book, 26 April 2014
very interesting book, some of the info bit dated,, but if what general idea about French way of life, it's the book for You! Well written and not long-winded !

5.0 out of 5 stars This is most useful. We lived in France for 12 years and ..., 22 Aug. 2014
This is most useful. We lived in France for 12 years and it helped a great deal. Does need updating from time as the French keep moving the goalposts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 July 2013
Very comprehensive and I would recommend it to anyone for whom the subject is appropriate. I lived in France and found it very helpful in many ways.

Living and Working in France: A Survival Handbook (Living & Working)
Living and Working in France: A Survival Handbook (Living & Working) by David Hampshire (Paperback - 15 Mar. 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01