Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 March 2010
I was initially drawn to this book because of the fabulous cover. The excellent writing and plotline inside do not disappoint. This is a great book. The likeable main characters are 13 year old Nat Carver and his dog Woody who share a remarkable friendship. Without wishing to give anything away this is no ordinary dog! There are villains aplenty too. Wolven will appeal to both young and old - a cracking adventure story which you won't want to put down.

This book is many things. Funny (very). Touching, with a big dollop of fantasy and suspense thrown in for good measure.

A real treat and there are apparently more to come - can't wait. I am a fan of Ms Toft.
on 10 May 2011
I - like other reviewers - was attracted to this book due to it's cover. After reading the blurb I thought I would give it a try and I most certainly wasn't disappointed. The characters are fun and inventive and the plot is fantastic. There is humour, sadness and a real sense of true friendship. It is more than just a 'boy and his dog' tale (excuse the pun, I couldn't resist!) it really does dig that little bit deeper.

This fantasy adventure keeps you turning the pages and I never tired of the plot. There is something a little different in every chapter and the protagonist grows as the story unfolds. I really did care about the characters and I really did worry about Woody, Nat's 'dog'. The bad guys are everything they should be - nasty, annoying and obnoxious - and the good guys are the exact opposite!

The story is well written for the age group that it is aimed for and the author mixes fantasy and reality beautifully. I like my fantasy to feel 'real' and I certainly felt it from this book. Great plot, pace and character's - what more could you want?!

As an adult reader I did really enjoy this book and have just started the second book. I would recommend Wolven to all readers but I'm sure the ages 9-12 will find this to be a fantastic read.

Enjoy!
on 28 February 2010
I bought this book for my 10 year old son as it was on his school recommended book reads.
It was well worth the money, since my son started to read it he couldn't put it down!
This book just jumped out at me from the instant I set eyes on it. The cover is holographic and a lot of my pupils played with it much to my annoyance when I was trying to read it in a free lesson. The basic premise of the story gives the saying 'man's best friend' a whole new meaning. Plus there is a nefarious secret government society, you know I love conspiracy theories.

Following an intriguing start the story begins to fill with an array of colourful characters glorious to imagine. The ingenious use of Greek mythology added to the basic storyline giving the narrative another dimension.The use of third person omniscient narration allows insight into the multi-levels of the plot without being distracting or losing focus.

The descriptive writing style appeals to all the senses - not particularly appealing when you have a horrific, smelly werewolf in you imagination. The colloquialisms and regional dialect used added to the realism and three dimensional quality of the characters. The realism of the prose was also aided by the topical references to farming, animal experimentation and hunting. Some of the imagery conjured with regard to the tortured wolven was quite horrific and might not be suitable to more sensitive children.

The weaving of medieval history into the narrative was a masterful stroke; the similarities expressed between the Templar's and witches including their persecution was fascinating. The way in which education was depicted via television has humorous but also quite scary on a subconscious level. the funny references and one liners from commercials and TV shows lighten the atmosphere. I felt really, really old at the mention of The Wurzels (my mum used to listen to them).

The suspense is well paced, little tidbits of information are scattered through the narrative developing the background plot. The depiction of bullies being cowards underneath really shone through the story. 'Man's' cruelty in the pursuit of power brought up images of Hitler and the atrocities and horror he caused in his quest for domination.

There are a few surprises along the way but the conclusion to the story was nice, the open ending promising adventures to come. I for one will certainly be picking up the next book to see what is in store for Nat and Woody.
on 12 March 2010
A good plotline, engages the reader to the finale, and finishes off with an ending thats both rich in suspense and yet provides enough closure so the reader does not think it incomplete.

Whomever gave this book 1 star has as much taste in books as he does skill in writing metaphors!

Definitely recommended!!
on 14 March 2010
This book will appeal to all kids young and old!

The whole plot was very exciting and I found it difficult to put down.

I am really looking forward to the second instalment of the story.
on 16 August 2009
What a fabulous book, for all. Both my husband and I, am a primary school teacher, read this on holiday. We loved it.
on 18 October 2011
This is first of three books. It is a great read for an adult and even better for a child aged 9 to 13. the cover changes when moved which makes it more interesting.
the author is new and its a great start.
on 22 August 2009
I bought two copies; thinking my son and my nephew would enjoy reading it, but had a sneaky read myself! It was brilliant and would recommend to older children and adults alike.
on 22 June 2010
This book is great I read it myself and again to my two children who loved it. My daughter even took it into school for a discussion topic. Just keep them coming!!!