5.0 out of 5 stars exciting!
Published on 11 Sept. 2009 by L. Crawford

3.0 out of 5 stars a book for young children
Published on 21 Jan. 2010 by Victoria PK

5.0 out of 5 stars exciting!, 11 Sept. 2009
L. Crawford (U.K.) - See all my reviews
My eldest daughter loves Harry Potter but this is too advanced and scary for my youngest daughter (4) We struggle to find bedtime stories I can read to them and keep them both gripped. This is it! Igraine is a witty, clever and courageous heroine, every character fascinates and the plot twists, turns, excites and left us never wanting to go to bed. If your children love castles, chivalry, dragons, magic and grumpy cats - this is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect adventure for 6-8 year olds - to read or be read to, 24 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Igraine the Brave (Paperback)
My 8-year-old daughter read and loved this and recommended I read this to her 6-year-old brother. He too loved it, though I'd worried the female heroine might put him off. It's charmingly written - and illustrated - and a galloping adventure with good, strong characters and plenty of humour too. Funke is an incredibly talented children's writer for this age and slightly older.

4.0 out of 5 stars Igraine the brave, 2 Jun. 2012
Clare O'Beara - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Igraine the Brave (Paperback)
A younger child's heroic fantasy. Plenty of good and bad characters, and the wizardly parents are transformed into appealing pigs early on so Igraine, who only wants to wear armour and fight battles, has to take on tasks beyond her years. A good story for independent-minded girls and all the descriptions of a magic castle repelling beseigers, not to mention a giant, a dragon and a solitary woeful knight once defeated by cheating and dragged back to the world of his conqueror to try again, will keep boys entertained too. There is danger but not very sustained and nothing to conjure nightmares. Enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars What's wrong with happy endings?, 24 Sept. 2010
I disagree with the previous review in the fact that it is "mostly for girls and younger children." Yes it is a 'safe' book, but it is not at all predictable; unless you have before read about a magic spell that went wrong turning the heroins parents into pigs, which can only be reversed using giants hairs?????? My whole family enjoyed this book which is quite an achievement, i would definately recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely, 16 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Igraine the Brave (Paperback)
I love Ms. Funke's work. This one is for younger readers, but great for everyone who loves a magical adventure story. Great characters, magic, duels, simple but interesting plot, and a feisty young heroine. Who could ask for anything more?

5.0 out of 5 stars A female knight, 25 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Igraine the Brave (Paperback)
This book was fab when I read it I couldn't put it down I would say it is for any age. I am reading ink heart and I think this author is the BEST!!!!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars a book for young children, 21 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Igraine the Brave (Paperback)
I agree with the previous reviewer, it's not a bad book but without much depth. It's very safe and childish with elements of whimsical, but not very original on the whole. Yes there are castles, chivalry, dragons, magic but it's so predictable it's boring. Characters are simplistic, no one allowed to be in danger for long, every turn of the books ends happily, for goodies every plan goes on smoothly, badies are punished and so on. I think it's suitable for under 8-10s only, and mostly girls, adventurous boys or children above 8 might find it too safe and predictable. Recommended for children who like adventures but don't like to be scared or provoked to think.

3.0 out of 5 stars A present so I can't comment...., 18 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Igraine the Brave (Paperback)
It's a good sized book for an eight year old- and I presume my little girl will be hooked immediately!

Igraine the Brave
Igraine the Brave by Cornelia Funke (Paperback - 7 April 2008)