4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable ride.
Published on 29 Aug 2006 by Antonio Pineda

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting ideas but over-long
Prosper and Bo are orphaned brothers who run away from their aunt to Venice and meet a group of street kids. Quickly accepted, they become part of the group, surviving on the profits made by goods stolen by a mysterious Thief Lord. However, the aunt has hired a private detective who is hot on the trail of the runaways, and soon he, the aunt, the kids, the Thief Lord and a...
Published on 18 Feb 2007 by IcedGems

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable ride., 29 Aug 2006
Antonio Pineda (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Thief Lord (Paperback)
My introduction to Cornelia Funke was "Inkheart" which I enjoyed. I looked forward to the sequel, "Inkspell", but wasn't so quick to pick up and read the already published "Thief Lord". For a fantasy lover like me, the book looked "too ordinary" with not enough promises of enchanted adventures. However, when I finally bought my copy of the book, it hooked me from the very first chapter.

"The Thief Lord" is often compared to the Harry Potter series but I'd advise potential readers to be wary of this comparison. While there are certainly similarities (like the main characters being children), "The Thief Lord" is also a very different book. Those who expect to read about wizards, magical creatures and enchanted objects will be disappointed. Apart from the magic roundabout that does not appear until towards the end, "The Thief Lord" deals with more earthly themes that children in the real world deal with such as family conflicts, loyalty and friendship, and wanting to grow up too soon.

That said, those who appreciate a fast-paced story with daring escapades will find much to enjoy in this book. "The Thief Lord" is every bit as exciting as the Harry Potter books. Children will enjoy reading about adults being outwitted by kids and adults will be drawn into the Venetian setting with its dark alleyways and alluring rivers that all seem to lead to adventures.

Any regrets about this book? I regret ever hesitating to read it and I regret the fact that Funke seems to have no plans to write a sequel despite the fact that the ending cries out for one. So grab your copy and prepare for an enjoyable ride.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Venetian fantasy, 28 Aug 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Thief Lord (Paperback)
My 11 year old daughter recommended this to me, and it certainly lived up to her recommendation. The story is part mystery, part fantasy - the Venetian setting is so appropriate! - and keeps you guessing at every turn. The characters are well delineated, and there is a philosophical substratum that will appeal to adults and children.
More books from Cornelia Funke please!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE THIEF LORD, 15 Feb 2007
J. Burns "J9" (Cornwall UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Thief Lord (Paperback)
As an adult i still enjoy reading childrens books and this one did not disappoint me. a little slow to start (but perhaps that is me being impatient) but once i got in to it i found it very difficult to put down. An interesting adventure with lots of twists and turns.I also like the way she sumarises at the end. Im not the kind of reader who likes long discriptive sentences about setting the scene - get on with the story - which she does so well. I have also thoroughly enjoyed her inkheart trioloigy and dragon rider.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cornelia Funke's Mysterious Reality, 26 Feb 2004
D. J. Clayton (Chester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Thief Lord (Paperback)
Cornelia Funke has the ability to describe a world in which reality and fantasy melt together in a magical mist. The Venice in which runaway children are sought by a strict aunt and an eccentric detective is not the real Venice but a dream world of dark alleys, derelict cinemas, lost treasures, strange unknown islands and elusive clues. Reach out and you catch a handful of mist - until the next chapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 21 Jan 2004
S. Sargeant (Canterbury, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Thief Lord (Paperback)
My son hates reading and I have struggled for years to find something he would really like. Finally this book has come up trumps, he hasn't put it down since the day he got it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Theif Lord, 31 July 2002
This review is from: The Thief Lord (Paperback)
An extremely amazing book. I haven't had such an enthrilling read for a long time.
*****
A gang of children lie low in an old disused cinema, with the help of scipio the theif lord they manage to stay alive and well. Their continuous dealings with "the redbeard" lead them into something of, what more sinister. And finally the truth comes out about their leader.
An adventure is just around the corner, with help from some odd people, a detective who's obsessed with his pet tortoises and one of their culprits from a break in. Each page turns into another suprize.
A brilliant read for all ages.

4.0 out of 5 stars A puzzling children's novel ( a must read), 6 July 2006
This review is from: The Thief Lord (Paperback)
If you like a tense read that you cant put down then this is the book for you. The story line is about orphaned children who have a hide out in an old abandon cinema. But their dream doesn't last for long. A detective becomes aware of the situation, and gets on the case right away. This becomes a problem for the children, and then the leader turns out to be someone else.

This book gets off a bit slowly but soon becomes a tense detective chase that leaves you on the edge of the seat and reading under the covers at midnight.

This book also fills you in with a lot of fascinating facts about Venice. The islands all excist and urge you to visit them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Superb!, 20 Jun 2006
This review is from: The Thief Lord (Paperback)
Since I bought this book I have not been able to put it down, I will be very upset when this book ends as I have enjoyed it so much. If you like books like Harry Potter and the books by Eva Ibbotson then this book is a must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing read, 21 April 2005
This review is from: The Thief Lord (Paperback)
This book called Thief Lord is an amazing and thrilling book. It is a must read once i started this book i couldn't wait to read it when i got home from school.This book is very exciting and a book that you just can't miss.Cornelia Funke is an amazing author and i would also recomend some of her other books such as Dragon Rider and Ink Heart.I hope this review was helpful to you and enjoy the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Thief Lord, 31 May 2006
This review is from: The Thief Lord (Paperback)
I got this book when I was about 12 for Christmas. I couldn't put it down-literally! It was so brilliant that I took it everywhere I went. It's beautifully crafted, funny, lyrical, imaginative and with enough twists and turns to keep even the most reluctant reader happy. Amazing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa61361a4)

The Thief Lord
The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke (Paperback - 3 April 2006)
5.03