5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it - the book guides you to see so much more
Published on 18 Mar 2010 by R. J. Webber

3.0 out of 5 stars enjoyed the aspects dealing with walking in the woods, looking at trees, puddles etc.
I enjoyed the aspects dealing with walking in the woods, looking at trees, puddles etc. far more than the extended sections covering stars, winds, waves, currents etc. Some of the simple statements on sun movements, moon phases etc. are worth keeping in mind – and perhaps trying to put into practice some time.
Published 6 months ago by Ter

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it - the book guides you to see so much more, 18 Mar 2010
R. J. Webber (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Natural Navigator (Hardcover)
It's absolutely fascinating! We probably all know about moss growing on the north side of trees but that is just only a tiny part of what Tristan reveals in this wonderfully informative book about natural navigation. Whether it's using puddles to tell you in which direction the sun has passed or making you sniff a bit deeper when smelling the "fresh air" blowing from the direction of a hidden coast line, Tristan tells you how to build layers of directional pointers.
I was hooked from the introduction! Reading this makes you want to put the book down and go outside to check a few observations yourself! Probably not a good thing to say in a review but then this book is about encouraging you to "do" as much as to read and learn. And Tristan does this very well indeed.
We miss so much these days in rushing around - follow just some of Tristan's natural navigation hints and you'll get so much more from even a simple walk in the park!
A great book for anyone who enjoys being outside and loves to stand and stare before moving on. I'm hooked!

5.0 out of 5 stars Walks will never be the same, 10 Mar 2010
S. Machin (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Natural Navigator (Hardcover)
A subject of hot debate in our family is who has the better sense of direction. Now I have a huge advantage over my husband with loads of simple tricks, well explained in THE NATURAL NAVIGATOR, that can be employed whether the walk is in a national park or a city park. The history component to this book is well researched and very interesting with details on the Micronesians traditional navigational methods and some surprising details about better-known explorers. This book would suit people who like the outdoors viewed from an armchair and those who get welly-deep in mud on a regular basis. Fascinating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sailor's View, 24 May 2010
RAEM "RAEM" (Puget Sound, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Natural Navigator (Hardcover)
Most the other reviewers seem to be walkers, but the book is very interesting from a sailor's perspective. There is a chapter dedicated to nautical methods, quite a few of which I'd never come across before, but most of the other chapters are relevant too.
The sun, moon, stars and weather can be used at sea to give just as good an idea of direction and the birds are more useful at sea than on land. I don't think I will be ripping out the chartplotter and throwing it overboard yet, but I will definitely be taking more note of the natural clues on offer. The stories about what the navigators in the Pacific can achieve are fascinating. Recommended.'

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed My Thinking, 14 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Natural Navigator (Hardcover)
It is amazing how much of natural navigation is common sense and yet how little I have thought about it to so far. There is the odd complex method in the book, one about the moon that I still haven't got to be honest, but mostly it is very straightforward. Some good stories about ancient travellers too and one about a date tree in Tessore, India that I loved. It has changed the way I look at the world already, so not a book for those stuck in their ways I guess

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent readable book on a very underestimated skill, 18 Mar 2010
Amazon Customer (Central Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Natural Navigator (Hardcover)
Excellent book, well structured and very readable. Well balanced on the positive and negative aspects of each technique, with interesting narratives on the historic and regional origins of many techniques.
Superb book, I have already recommended it to many.

5.0 out of 5 stars Becoming a natural navigator, 22 April 2010
T. G. Symonds (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Natural Navigator (Hardcover)
Tristan Gooley has written the book all humankind needs now more than ever - he crosses oceans on a small craft, traverses land-masses on foot, and does so using his five senses (and occasionally a sixth). In an era where travel has become the tyranny of timetables he produces in the reader the feelings those great pioneer navigators in the South Pacfic or fearless Viking explorers crossing the Atlantic must have felt. 'The Natural Navigator' reminds us how to move around this Earth, locally or across great swathes, without the use of satellites, taking our cues from the sun, wind, trees (remember, trees tend to branch up more on the side away from the prevailing winds) and perhaps some not fully understood instincts. Human ancestors leaving Africa in waves those umpteen years ago would have used the same techniques the author has employed in his considerable travels, snuffing the wind, watching the animals, mapping a few invaluable constellations, techniques the more attractive as many of us want to get away from the tourist experience and wander across those last great untouched frontiers - for me, one day it's going to be the Kimberleys on foot and with 'The Natural Navigator' in the backpack.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Natural Navigator, 23 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Natural Navigator (Hardcover)
This is a fascinating book;quick and easy to read with an excellent index.A book that can be read from cover to cover in one go or dipped into for that special nugget of knowledge with which to impress family and friends on that particularly taxing walk when everybody is lost except you:unless somebody else has read The Natural Navigator! I have already bought 2 copies;wonderful Birthday/Christmas presents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Reference Guide, 12 May 2010
J. bennett (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Natural Navigator (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed this book; it gives wonderful insight into the natural world and has made me reconsider the world around me. I've also heard Tristan speak and you should also try to do that if you get the chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - so good I made a BBC series about it!, 25 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Natural Navigator (Hardcover)
I was introduced to Tristan Gooley and this book when I was approached to produce on the BBC series about natural navigation 'All Roads Lead Home'. Since reading the book and working with its content for the series I have to say I am hooked. It is a highly accessible book easy to understand and has so many moments that give that sudden moment of realisation about things. Most fascinating is the crescent moon giving clues to direction. I would recommend this book to anyone - and especially great if you have kids as they can grasp the concepts easily and it gets you all out and about. You'll find you start looking at nature in a new even more wonderful way. Looking forward to your next book Tristan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Be Aware, 4 Jun 2010
Peter Jackson (Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Natural Navigator (Hardcover)
I recommend this book, not just for the skills you can aquire, but for the enthusiasm and encouragement obvious in its pages.
It guides you to be more aware which, if extended into your everyday walking and living, will reward you with a sense of satisfaction.

The Natural Navigator
The Natural Navigator by Tristan Gooley (Hardcover - 4 Mar 2010)
10.49