5.0 out of 5 stars I Loved It
Now I've been looking at getting into graphic novels for a long time and I have always been very interested in the Marvel Universe and the prospect of a civil war as depicted in this book. Although I've never read a single comic book in my life, I've always been aware of the great superheroes and their particular backgrounds. Apart from the odd one or two however,...
Published on 7 Mar. 2009 by Caleb Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars A good Short Story
I must admit when i buy a graphic novel i look at the number of pages to see if i'm going to get a good long read as i like to saver the reading. This Story is quite thin and moves fast. There is not as much script as I would have liked and i think the storyline is thinner than i was led onto believe from the reviews. Instead of civil war, it should be called Captain...
Published 16 months ago by Cheese time

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Keep it civil., 5 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Civil War (Paperback)
Having dipped a toe or two into the Marvel pool through the occasionally entertaining Marvel Zombies series, as well as being a fan of the films, TV series and the cartoons growing up, I thought I would pick this up as an introduction to the current world of Marvel (as well as priming me for the upcoming Captain America 3). Whilst I'm glad I did, the condensed nature of this trade paperback makes the events within seem somewhat rushed. Matters escalate very quickly in the story, and whilst I appreciate the fact that motivations are better explained by reading the individual Civil War storylines for each character, this wouldn't improve the pacing of this volume.

Of greater note is the fact that this doesn't seem to be a terribly objective look at the issue raised in the book. It seems to be at first, but then (as other reviewers have noted) Millar sides with one character over another. I appreciate that the universe needs a bit of a shake up, but I know I'm not alone in disliking the ending. I disliked everything about the ending, in fact, as I'm sure many did. I accept that there is a wealth of history and back story to all of these characters which I'm not as aware of as other readers, but as a story in itself, Civil War was an unsatisfying read. The big events within it are well crafted, but the main characters of Captain America and Iron Man don't seem to get the juiciest parts. They argue and scrap a bit, but Spiderman and The Punisher were two of the characters who got the best roles in this book, with Daredevil getting the best line by a considerable margin.

Ultimately, the book is a fairly by the numbers royal rumble type affair, albeit with some very significant plot twists and shifts. Recommended to keep up to date with what's going on, but expect a sour aftertaste.

3.0 out of 5 stars None too shabby., 9 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Civil War (Paperback)
I enjoyed this story arc a bit - it's not perfect. Some characters seemed a little flat but the artwork is good and the general story is pretty good too.

I wasn't too keen on how it ends, mainly because the consequences and scenarios were pointed out several times throughout the book to the two sides and it seemed like a bit of a cop out at the end to just end the story because the writers just couldn't be arsed or weren't allowed to go wild with the story like kill off a 'main' hero or even multiples.

Having read a few comic books, I dislike both Marvels and DC's take of lack of consequences.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Marvels BEST Story Arcs, 30 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Civil War (Paperback)
Has got to be one of the best story Arcs for marvel ever. I only found out about it's existence a few weeks ago while looking in WHSmith, but I am so glad I found it. It has an amazing plot line, it features more or less every major Marvel super hero (and some Villains) that you've probably seen. And not only is it a brilliant read but there are also another 10 or so graphic novels that tie in to Civil War (seeing the war from specific characters point of view). So If you like original and gripping Marvel story Arcs then this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of the best comic book writing you will find, 24 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Civil War (Paperback)
As a long time comic books reader, I am still surprised they don't get the credit they deserve. Of course, in the very early days, comic "strips" were not written and drawn with any long term literary objective in mind, but this has steadily changed from roughly the resurrection of Marvel comics in the 1960s. Coming to the point of this collection of Civil War comics (issues 1-7), these are in my opinion nothing short of a tour-de-force in comic writing. The premise being that following a tragic accident when a group of new, young, super-heroes go into action, the US Government, with full support of Iron Man, enact a "super hero registration act" whereby all super heroes have to register and reveal their secret identity. Some heroes object to this, among them Captain America. Thus the battle lines are drawn, the "right wing conservatives" (Republicans?) led by Iron Man, the left wing liberals (Democrats?) led by Capt America. What follows is some of the best comic book writing you could hope to find.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but not amazing., 3 July 2007
Andy Evans "Andy Evans" (Langley ,Berkshire,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Civil War (Paperback)
An act is passed by the American Government intended to force all heroes into disclosing their secret identities to the Government as well as becoming their Agents.This divides the hero community down the middle and ultimately leads to a "war" between those who oppose the act and those that are in favour of the act.

The story is well told and the artwork is of a high standard. However aspects of the story left me slightly disapointed. I wasn't keen on some of the so called heroes being so cruel to former allies and teammates. Conversely the fight scenes are excellent and it is fascinating seeing the heroes fall out with eachother.

Generally a really good read but not as good as it could have been.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concept, 9 Dec. 2010
Mr. R. Safadi "Ray Constantine" (London, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Civil War (Paperback)
This review is based on this novel, from 1-7 (I am not sure if there were more out after it). It was a great concept, very different/unique but I found it to be too short. Overall it's quite a good read but not as great as Secret Wars. I am not up to date with all the comic universe but where was the Hulk? and the real Thor? a few big names missing but I had no idea why so to people who don't follow it religiously there might be a few questions asked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Story Telling, 7 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Civil War (Paperback)
I decided to revisit the civil war story line and I'd forgotten how good it actually was.

This is a solid piece of story telling from a group of writers who at that time were approaching the top of their game in the Marvel Universe.

I personally don't think stories get much better than this within the Marvel series. All the main characters are there and it gives readers a chance to see them differently I highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not as expected, 9 April 2010
I firstly read the Road to Civil War and i was very impressed, so i was eager for the Civil War.
The story is nice and has many exciting moments, but overall i expected more (e.g. i strongly believe
that a double amount of pages would serve the analysis of related parties and individual characters far better).
Not to be misunderstood, it is a great change in the marvel universe, and it is worth read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it 4 times (including all the extras) still great and ages well, 21 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Civil War (Paperback)
I was thinking if i reread it, the obvious message behind it would be too in your face (writers disagreed with America going to war with Iraq) but is done very well
Art is excellent
Great way of showing a person is sometimes forced to be the bad guy rather than generic evil which is always boring
Loved it, the comic that got a lot of my friends into comics
Cant wait for the movie

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a great story If your new to marvel I recommended that ..., 7 May 2015
It's a great story
If your new to marvel I recommended that you do some origin research about all the main characters in it so you know more about them but even if you are knew to marvel and you just want to go straight to reading this you will should be able to understand what is happening.
I can't wait to see this on the big screen when Captain America: Civil War comes out in 2016.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

Civil War
Civil War by Mark Millar (Paperback - 24 April 2007)