5.0 out of 5 stars Right man for the plob (scuse the pun - I had to)
I recently received this book as a birthday present as my family all know I'm an avid Terry Pratchett fan.
Published on 26 Oct 2005 by Mark Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars It's trying too hard
amusing in parts and good characters but very derivative. sorry but not for me. Terry Pritchett doesn't have anything to worry about
Published 8 months ago by Malcolm Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars Right man for the plob (scuse the pun - I had to), 26 Oct 2005
This review is from: Plob (Paperback)
Being a big discworld fan it is hard not to compare the two authors styles and to be honest Plob comes out looking good. While it is true that there may be passing similarities between certain characters(most noticeably Biggest in this book bares a passing resemblance to a smart Detritius the Troll) the book definitely doesn't have the feel of a pratchett wannabe. Instead it deserves a place of it's own in the comedy-fantasy genre.
The characters are likeable (Cabbie is a great character), the situations witty and I particularly enjoyed the writers ideas regarding the forging/casting of magic.
To continue the comparison between Zerf and Pratchett, the book may lack some of the subtleties of Pratchetts later works.
However, If I'm being completely honest (and it may seem traitor-ish to the hardened pratchett fans out there) I enjoyed Plob more than any of the first discworld novels and in a straight bar room brawl between Plob and the Colour of Magic Zerf wins hands down.
I'm still an avid Pratchett fan but will be waiting with Baited breath (though as Zerf comments, how do you bait your breath?) for the sequel. If his first book is as good as this he can only get better with experience. I'm sure I will be just as hooked by book number 5 as I am with his first.
One for the Christmas list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fun read from new author, 12 Nov 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Plob (Paperback)
Plob - likened to Discwold and Hitchiker galaxy books gets there from space fantaasy, and off the wall humour of everyday things in odd contexts. More similar to Terry Pratchet in parts, but there let's stop with that...For me it does not replace or compete with Discworld series, but is a new style, and a vein of reading to add to those I already do.
Oddball comments from the author talking to you through the book I like, and all the asides are in the rich tradition of a listening to a fireside comic..footnotes elevated to the read, BUT that is all the fun...The book is carried by its plot.
Plob himself does't seems to start of as much of a hero or character to love, but like Spike's legs in Puckoon..he develops with the plot, and now look forward to more adventures of Plob...and plenty of rooom to spin off into other directions with the great characters of Cabbie the reluctant knight, the dangerous barmaid, the knight that is the thief....
So highly recommended, buy for all your friends for christmans, but mostly get one for yourself, and let's see the second novel soon

4.0 out of 5 stars Radio 4 recommendation a cracking read, 24 Jan 2006
This review is from: Plob (Paperback)
It's always difficult to review a new author without comparing him to others existing in the genre already especially someone like Zerf who has already been compared to Pratchett, Rankin and Holt. It's true - he does have some of the wit and verve of Pratchett, he loves the running gag as much as Rankin and weaves his plots in a similar way to Holt. However the amalgamation of all of this results in a style that is very specifically Zerf. Reading PLOB is a bit like inviting an accomplished raconteur/comedian around to regale you with a story - it's friendly, funny and really easy to read. At times the plot seems a little thin but he makes up for this by managing to keep his characters deep and multidimentional - none of them are quite what they seem initially and it is a pleasure to see them grow and change as the story progresses.
But let us not miss what I think the main point of PLOB is - it is most definitely a book that is written to amuse and this it does in spadefuls. There is literally a laugh out loud moment on almost every page. With the humour coming thick and fast it is enevitable that some of the gags fall flat but the hits far outway the misses resulting in an hilarious read. Suprisingly, though, it is not all gags and giggles - there are a few truly touching and serious moments that take one by surprise but these mainly serve to provide a contrast to the ongoing hilarity.
I've given PLOB 4 stars and I am sure that Zerfs next novel will get the full 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first fantasy read proves a success, 26 Jan 2006
This review is from: Plob (Paperback)
I purchased this book through amazon after seeing that it was reccomended by BBC Radio 4 as one of the top reads of 2005. I don't usually go for fantasy but decided to give it a go and...what a great surprise. I found it to be extemely witty and very cleverly constructed and, although the characters are obviously fantastical (Trogres, goblins etc)they are so well written as to make them seem completely believable. In fact by the end of the book I had developed quite a crush on Cabbie (the cab driver/knight)and had a real soft spot for PLOB the teenage magician.
Mainly I was impressed by the depth of feeling that the book managed to make me feel and the roller coaster ride between loud laughter and genuine touching emotion left me wanting more and more. A GREAT first novel - lets see the next one soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic new find, 17 Sep 2005
Teddy (Canterbury, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plob (Paperback)
I picked up a copy of this in the 'recommended books section, of Waterstones, Canterbury - and what a treat. It brought to mind a cross between Terry Pratchett and Tom Sharpe. Lashings of over-the-top heroism and laugh-out-loud comedy all served up with a refreshing dollop of political incorrectness and clever word play. I can't wait for his next book (an excerpt of which is at the end of 'Plob')
This guy is truly, truly funny and will surely develop a huge following. Excellent stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Comedy!, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: plob (Paperback)
When I read, I like to alternate between various different genres. After reading a series of soul crushing books, I wanted something that didn't make me want to cut myself. But I also wanted to read something that was of high quality as I am a fan of classical literature. This is a hard niche to fill, but one which Craig did to the highest standard.

The prologue hooked me in, and set the tone for the book. I immediately felt like I was going on a grand journey with them as the set up of the book was masterly done. The plot kept me gripped and despite being a comedy, the ending was emotionally moving. I particularly liked 'Cabbie' - one of the most amusing characters I've ever seen.

In terms of the comedy, I thought it was superbly done. The little asides from the author added a personal touch to the whole thing and they were extremely funny at times. Moreover, the sheer idiocy of some of the characters had me laughing (I received a few strange looks on the plane I was on) quite hard. But it wasn't being funny for the sheer sake of it, the humour was well placed and was with purpose. It integrated well into the book as a whole.

Plob is an immense book. I'll be getting the next installments over the coming months.
This was well worth every penny. Emotionally moving with an interesting plot, and many laughs along the way too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roll around funny, 16 Oct 2005
This review is from: Plob (Paperback)
I bought this book to read on the train on the way to work but had to stop as I got embarrased about laughing out loud so often. From the moment I started the book I felt that I knew the writer. It's a really good book, full of wit, humour and clever social commentry. Long live PLOB!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 Feb 2008
This review is from: Plob (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this, but I'm writing this review because the book was high-jacked by my 15-year-old son and he won't give it back. He thought it was one of the funniest books he'd ever read, particularly enjoying the author's own voice - the way he interrupts his own story to talk about something completely different. I felt that anything that drew such glowing praise from a reticent teenager deserved all the stars I could give it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plob proves hilarious, 24 Feb 2014
Craig Zerf has given us a new comedy/fantasy hero. Zerf has taken all of the old cliches and turned them on their head as he takes us on a journey through comedy-land. A thoroughly enjoyable book that had me laughing out loud numerous times. Great fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great book, 26 Sep 2013
What a great book. Full of funny material, genuinely entertaining and a welcome breathe of fresh air. This is one of those books that picks you up and makes you feel good. The story is the classic Mickey-take of a classic genre, magicians assistants, knights, dwarves and Trogres...but...also with Plumbers, accountants, mental barmaids and a whole host of unexpected happenings. If you like Pratchett or Rankin then you will like this.

Plob
Plob by Craig Zerf (Paperback - 10 Sep 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01