5.0 out of 5 stars Max Wallis is someone to watch., 17 July 2011
Nina Bahadur - See all my reviews
This review is from: Modern Love (The Flap Pamphlet Series) (Paperback)
"Modern Love" arrived in the post two days ago, and I have not been able to put it down. Max's poems are brilliantly crafted and intelligent. His use of language is masterful; in his short poems he captures moments and feelings that anyone who has been in love today would understand. Max has a seemingly innate understanding of natural rhythm and pause, which makes his poetry a pleasure to read aloud: "Kissing. Like this. x. And this. x. And this. x."

The poems in "Modern Love" effortlessly integrate the typically 'non-poetic' realms of text messages, Facebook etiquette, and Gumtree with all the delusions and delirium of love (the kind that hurts). Almost every poem resonated with me deeply, typically catching me at the first line: "Allow yourself this one day / hungover from love".

This book, a brave and truly incredible début, speaks effortlessly to how our generation navigates the big L. Max is an exceptionally talented young poet, and I look forward to seeing what he brings us next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern without the ism, 12 July 2011
D. Kirkwood (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Modern Love (The Flap Pamphlet Series) (Paperback)
In my opinion Max is up there with the most interesting of the young British poets such as Jack Underwood and Fiona Benson. Their work, for me, answers the question ( if it's not too soon to be asking this ); 'where next?' after Armitage, Farley, Paterson, Robertson, Oswald et al. These younger voices breaking through have a freshness and vitality that speaks for the next wave.

But it's not all about uber now, in this short collection we find three line poems with the perceptive simplicity of Menashe next to longer works that wriggle and tease their way through your mind like Moulson, others offer deceptively simple layers of meaning where you hear echoes of Bishop. There are some distinctly individual touches throughout with some fascinating word choices and meter that set up unexpected counterpoints , "From the blue lines, the scrawled words,/ I can trace your fingernibs / and unpluck your prints." There are also daring allusions, see 'Morning', that reveal an honesty all modern art of substance requires.

I read that Max is working on his first full collection--can't wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Love is a guidebook to love in the modern age, 3 July 2011
This review is from: Modern Love (The Flap Pamphlet Series) (Paperback)
Max's style is very fresh. He talks openly about very hard life topics, such as love, sex, relationships. He is able to convey very much important messages in very few words. I found this pamphlet almost a guidebook to feelings and love in the complex modern age of texting, msn and facebook. I found it very amusing in some parts, yet also touching and harsh in others. It contains a good mix of emotions and styles and is extremely honest. I would recommend this to all discerning readers. I wish the young poet all the best in his future projects and await his future works with a baited breath.

5.0 out of 5 stars A review of Max Wallis's Modern Love, 16 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Modern Love (The Flap Pamphlet Series) (Paperback)
Max Wallis's Modern Love is a chronological collection of poems which follows the course of romantic love through its various vexing and tender stages. `All the days to tread till I meet you' begins his first poem as he goes on to describe a memory of fear and resentment when contemplating the path of a former relationship and its lingering presence in the mind of the speaking-voice: `Clutching our Tesco/Morrisons/Waitrose-trolley-full-dreams. Swearing whilst our kids watch us, getting in a huff over what type of juice is good.' Yet this initial restlessness gradually evaporates as Wallis gently portrays the nervous and at once invigorating hope which a new infatuation brings: `We lie, two statues/scared/scared of skin.' A beautiful depiction of two human beings on the cusp of a tentative embrace.

However, what is most impressive about Wallis's debut work is his ability to beautify the modern world and show how it rightfully deserves a place in contemporary poetry. In his poem `Modern Love: Texting' Wallis expresses how `the little xx means more from you' and admits saving `the sweet ones in a folder' to `read them when down.' Although it's probably a symptom of reading one too many of Keats's love letters, but I have, in the past, questioned whether social media and texting are capable of conveying genuine feeling and in this state of mind have longed for modes of communication locked in the vacuum of the past. Carol Anne Duffy, in her collection entitled Rapture, also explores this dynamic and writes in her poem `Text' that `I try to picture your hands,/their image is blurred./Nothing my thumbs press/will ever be heard.' Yet Wallis ostensibly challenges this notion and claims in his poem `Facebook' that `Modern love is not told in paper/but in the pixels in a face trapped/and peering out, bound in comments'. Whether carved in stone, written with parchment and ink or sent in a Facebook instant message, Wallis shows us that human love is not mutable but rather it is our method of expression that alters. From reading this collection it becomes clear that contemporary poetry has an obligation to remain in beat with not only modern life but also modern love- a feat which Wallis certainly achieves.

An excellent collection of poetry. I strongly recommend reading it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful stuff., 11 July 2011
This review is from: Modern Love (The Flap Pamphlet Series) (Paperback)
Modern Love is a short, but intense experience. Awkward, honest, brave and at times agonisingly familiar, the pages are soaked in alcohol and sex. It tracks a relationship over the course of a year, in scenes that will be all too familiar to anyone who has ever had to change their relationship status on Facebook back to 'single'.

I loved this pamphlet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Love, Max Wallis., 12 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Modern Love (The Flap Pamphlet Series) (Paperback)
I was lucky enough to get a sneak preview of this pamphlet before it was officially published. It is all credit to Max, that I desperately still wanted a copy when it came out. It's also credit to him that I phoned members of my family to read out snippets to them, that they oohed and ahhed and in one instance, cried at the appropriate places and shook their heads soundlessly when I explained how old Max was. I was going to stay well away from the age card. I'm sure he is fed up of people bringing it up, this is not simply remarkable poetry for a young man, it's simply remarkable poetry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awaiting pamphlet # 2, 11 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Modern Love (The Flap Pamphlet Series) (Paperback)
After seeing Max on stage and listening to his words there was really only one thing I could do (apart from asking him to write all his poems down for me there and then), Buy 'Modern Love'. It took a while to get here as his first batch had sold out. It was definitely worth the wait and once I released it from its packaging, it had already been taken from my hands by my curious housemate.
There were two I remembered Max reading out and so I read these to my other housemate who just sat, slightly tearful, and amazed.
Very powerful, amusing and worth re-re reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - A Literary Revolution, 14 July 2011
rubyc (england, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Modern Love (The Flap Pamphlet Series) (Paperback)
New talent Max Wallis showcases his work and communicates his passion for the first time both eloquently and poignantly in what is hopefully one of many poetry pamphlets to come. This is a must buy for any modern poetry fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fall in Modern Love, 3 July 2011
This review is from: Modern Love (The Flap Pamphlet Series) (Paperback)
Modern love isn't all holding hands and looking at each other wistfully as you stroll through meadows in some Keatsian idyll. Well, it might be for some. But for Max Wallis, it's falling, fearing and that other, more grown-up 'F' word. Modern love is played out on Facebook and Twitter; in bedrooms; on canalsides; in bars; and - as Wallis demonstrates so rawly in so many of the poems in this, his debut pamphlet - inside.

And that's what stays with you once you've read the last poem in Modern Love - once you've closed the back cover and either texted your lover to say you're running late or gone back to bed and longed for a lover: that sense that every poem Wallis has gathered together in this year-long charting of a relationship comes absolutely from within; from his own, genuine experience. Here is a poet who cannot - will not - hide the sorrows and the joys of falling, fearing and that other, even more grown-up 'F' word: feeling. Here is Max Wallis in the raw. His first collection can surely only bring us closer to the bone.

Modern Love (The Flap Pamphlet Series)
Modern Love (The Flap Pamphlet Series) by Max Wallis (Paperback - 1 July 2011)