5.0 out of 5 stars By a Husband
Published on 30 Nov. 2005

2.0 out of 5 stars Almost didn't work for me
The only disc from the whole programme which worked for me was Pregnancy Relaxation disc. Helped me to relax and have some rest during my late pregnancy.
I'd say you have to be very advanced in hypnotherapy in general to be able visualising anything being in labour. I used TENS machine on my first stage but even with TENS it was absolutely impossible to apply any...
Published on 25 Mar. 2012 by Anna

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars By a Husband, 30 Nov. 2005
By A Customer
My wife bought the natal programme when she was about 5 months pregnant. At first I was very sceptical but she felt it would really help her. She had had a really hard time with our first child and she wanted to have a natural birth this time. I was not sure that just listening to a set of CDs would really make any difference, but I listened to the CDs a couple of times with her and have to admit that I found that I actually enjoyed them and felt more chilled about the birth. When it came to it she was amazing during the birth. She stayed so calm and coped brilliantly. She did not need any pain relief and seemed to be much more in control. She is sure that the CDs helped her enormously. I felt like I could help her as I used a lot of the words from the CD and the music only CD really helped keep the atmosphere really calm.
For any one who is not sure or is sceptical, I would definitely recommend you give them a go. They are easy to use, you do not have to “do” or learn anything and they really helped us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing for birth preparation - Buy the set and the book, you won't regret it!, 1 Mar. 2012
J Smith (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Natal Hypnotherapy Programme (for Hospital or Birth Centre): A Self Hypnosis CD Programme for a Better Pregnancy and Birth Experience (Audio CD)
I can't recommend this series strongly enough to anyone who's pregnant, it's brilliant! It's especially useful if you're anxious about the birth and/or want a natural birth.

CD1 - Pregnancy relaxation (use up to 31 weeks) - is great for listening to during those afternoon naps that you're supposed to have but just can't sleep through. Starts to address any birth anxiety and encourages you to do sensible things like drinking water as well as getting you used to the breathing you'll be doing during the birth.

CD2 - Birth preparation (use from 32 weeks) - again very relaxing, this one also 'programs' your brain to expect a good experience for the birth and gives you methods to reduce any pain you do get. If you're on a tight budget, just get this CD. Note that you ideally need to listen to it about 20 times for the full effect but just once could still help you. It comes with a booklet which explains the basics of how it works and how to use it.

CD3 provides the background music you've been listening to in the other CDs to remind you of them during labour. Also calms your baby afterwards!

CD4 is for the weeks after the birth, boosts your confidence in being a mother and helps you address any issues you might have. Use it as required.

My experience
- This was my first baby. I started using the CDs from around 30 weeks and they helped me feel much more confident and far less anxious about the birth. It complemented NCT antenatal classes very well.
- An unexpected benefit was that the CDs gave me the confidence to go for a home birth which I had wanted but had an irrational fear about. This was wonderful :-) Despite being for Hospital Birth, CD2 was still effective. The words used on the CD (in fact, all the CDs) are cleverly written so that they work for many different circumstances.
- I had contractions from around 3am (waters went at 0520) until 1746 when my daughter was born. I listened to CD2 and used TENS and massage from the early stages (from 0800 ish) and from 3pm (when I was in transition) moved into a birth pool and used CD3, but USED NO DRUGS for the birth of my 8lb 6oz baby, not even gas and air. I DIDN'T EVER SCREAM, I only breathed deeply the whole time (except when pushing when I held my breath) and I'm certain that this was due mainly to the hypnotherapy. It wasn't pain free but never unbearable: sometimes it was very intense, and the pushing stage was very hard work, but I stayed calm, relaxed and in control the whole time. The midwives were very impressed and said I breathed my baby out. I can honestly say that my birth experience was very positive - I remember that my mum was very surprised that I was talking about "next time", just one day after the birth!
- Afterwards - The first 2 CDs did such a good job that I already felt very calm and confident with my new baby, who was also very relaxed (and 8 weeks on still is), so breastfeeding went very well. However CD4 has been useful for helping me relax so I could sleep, and also for pepping me up when I've had a bad day.

I also read the accompanying book, Effective Birth Preparation: Your Practical Guide to a Better Birth, a few weeks before I gave birth. I recommend you also buy this, and if possible start working through it as soon as you can. It enhances the CDs and tells you how to create your own versions if you want to if you have specific things you want to address. It gives the science and history behind birth (in much more useful detail than other pregnancy and labour books I've read), and then explains how hypnotherapy helps with this, which really helped me believe it would work. It also describes other things to try during labour for a natural birth and, importantly, how your birth partner can help.

Also look at the Breastfeeding CD - this looks great if you're having trouble with breastfeeding.

I read all the reviews that I could find on this series before buying, all glowing, and still didn't quite believe it would work. But hypnotherapy really does provide effective pain prevention / relief as well as other benefits, with zero side effects, so you have nothing to lose (except a few quid) by trying it! And these CDs provide excellent value for money when compared to a hypnotherapy (or NCT) course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 8 Dec. 2013
I had my first baby 2 weeks ago with no pain-relief. Like most first time mums I was terrified about the birth so decided to try hypnobirthing as a way to feel I had more control over the event. I was a bit slack about doing the CD relaxations so I was worried it wouldn't have worked properly but it actually worked a bit too well as I almost gave birth at home as I didn't realise I was so far into labour as I thought the pain wasn't strong enough. It was only when I felt the urge to push did I go to hospital and was told I was 9cm dilated. I am not someone who deals with pain very well, I think I'm dying if I get leg cramps at night and I attribute the lack of pain solely to the hypnobirthing. At one point near the end I did the 45 min CD and felt no contractions whatsoever. My only complaint is that CDs are fantastic for the contraction part of labour, absolutely brilliant, BUT you need a totally different mindset for the 2nd (pushing) stage of labour, which needs you to be much more aggressive and active. I wasn't prepared for the sudden switch in mindset and this threw me a bit. I wouldn't rely on hypnobirthing to help you through that 2nd stage and maybe look into breathing techniques as well. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars cannot recommend these enough!, 4 Dec. 2012
I was slightly on the cynical side to be honest but after an horrendous first labour i was determined that the 2nd was going to be how I wanted it to be and be a calm ish experience with no medical intervention. thats exactly what i got, with a little help from these cds. i listened to them a few times a week and they made me feel relaxed, like it was the most natural thing in the world and my body would know what to do if i was relaxed and listened to it. once i was admitted to the labour ward I listened at full volume on ear phones the relaxing birth music, i kept my eyes closed focused on the music and what id learnt on the cds and somehow managed to get through my labour on gas and air (back to back delivery after being induced twice and 72 hours in hospital by the time she arrived). i didnt even know what the midwife looked like until my daughters head was showing and i opened my eyes to see the time for some reason. my partner said i was on another planet and the midwife said she was gobsmacked at how calm i was. im not normally like that at all so the cds worked for me!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Natal Hypnotherapy Cds., 27 Dec. 2012
i absolutely love these cd's.. i brought them early in pregnancy and listened to them alot. My son is now 2 weeks old and i don't think i would of coped as well as i did if it wasn't for natal hypnotherapy.. i had an unexpected home birth lasting 36 minutes. I listened to the birth preparation cd while i was in labour which kept me calm and focused on my breathing. Would recommend these for every mum to be.. there awesome!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars relaxtion!, 27 Feb. 2013
i found the cd's extremely relaxing and they helped me prepare well for the birth - i didn't attend any antenatal classes and much preferred this preparation in my own way and time. i started listening to them late in pregnancy (34/35 weeks) but they did work a treat!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It definitely helped me relax like never before, 2 May 2012
I found the CD's incredibly helpful and relaxing. I listened to them in the run up to my labour and they definitely helped me feel prepared. During the labour the relaxing music was a life saver and helped me focus on my breathing, although after listening to it on repeat for 17 hours I was glad to turn it off! I've never been someone who has thought much about hypnotism but listening to these CDs certainly took me out of myself and got me to relax while still feeling in control. I would definitely recommended them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic, 27 Jan. 2007
Lucie Johnson (Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
I used the Natal Hypnotherapy CDs for the births of my last two babies. Prior to that I hated being in labour and was really worried about it. However, the meditations not only kept me totally calm throughout the labour and births of my youngest two boys, I didn't need any pain relief either. I can honestly say I enjoyed both of these births and cannot recommend this system highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not have done it without them, 26 Nov. 2007
I was recommended theses by my midwife when I was about 5 months. I listened to the pregnancy relaxation after work and really enjoyed taking time out to think about my body and my baby. It was a great excuse to go and lie down!

I had a brilliant home birth and used the techniques on the CDs throughout the birth. My midwife commented on how calm and relaxed I was. at no time did i feel frightened or out of control which amazed me as I was petrified of birth when I first got pregnant.

I think ALL pregnant women should use them even if they do not believe it will work. if you are more relaxed and calm that can only be a good thing - give it a go!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars ... from 24 weeks and found the pregnancy relaxation very useful to unwind, 20 Nov. 2014
I used this programme from 24 weeks and found the pregnancy relaxation very useful to unwind; I always fell asleep. At about 28 weeks, Idecided that I wanted a home birth in a pool, I credit that change of plan to these CDs and finding that not only did I not fear the birth, but that I was looking forward to it. My partner was on board and he often listened to them too. It didn't go to plan though and my waters broke and I never got into established labour. When eventually admitted to hospital, I used the relaxation session to calm me when I was upset at waiting forever to be induced. During the induction when my pain relief wore off, I found the techniques very helpful. In the end I had to have a c-section, and having had an epidural for most of the labour, I didn't experience pain for very long. I only wish I could have put the programme to full use at home in my birthing pool, but as everyone warned me, there is no point having a birth plan!

Highly recommended. Ok, it's £40, but if this works for you too, it is a bargain!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›