5.0 out of 5 stars 10 lb 2 oz baby and no pain relief!
Brilliant!
Published on 16 Aug 2009 by Mayfairmo

2.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps it would work better if you do the course as well
Well, it was relaxing to listen to during the final weeks of pregnancy but I can't say it made that much difference during labour. Perhaps it would work better if you do the course as well. I used it for the birth of my fifth child and although the visualisations helped during the early stages of labour they were pretty useless once things really ramped up.
Published 22 days ago by Sharkey

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 lb 2 oz baby and no pain relief!, 16 Aug 2009
This review is from: Effective Birth Preparation (Hospital or Birth Centre): Self Hypnosis (Natal Hypnotherapy Programme) (Audio CD)
Brilliant!
I had an awful, very painful delivery with my first child who was 8lb 10 oz. I had gas and air, morphine and in the end forceps in theatre. I was left so traumatised i was on the waiting list for NHS coucelling and was expecting my second child, which was planned but i was having major panic about the birth (unfortunately betime i got my first appointment for councelling through it was a date way after i had my second child! cheers NHS!)

With my second baby i listened to Maggies cd system. Had a much better birth, only had gas and air, and only when i reached 8-9 cm dialated, before that i sat listening to the relaxing birth music that accompanies this system, sat on the edge of the bed, legs swinging chatting away! I went from dreading the birth before listening to Maggies cd, to enjoying giving birth so much i used to go around telling everyone i wish i could do it again, everyone thought i was mad lol! My second baby was 9 lb 8 oz

With my third child i listened to Maggies cds yet again, i enjoyed the birth the second time, so i was in no doubt that i would use the cd system again (i used the birth prep cd + relaxing birth music cd whilst in labour)
Well my labour was just inder 4 hours from start to finish, it was very intense and i almost ended up having my baby in the car, as we are several hours drive away from the hospital! I only had the music cd to listen to in the car on the way. I ended up giving birth to my 10 lb 2 oz 22.5" long Son in the nurses office down stairs as i couldnt make it up to the ward in time. Once i got into the hospital i didnt even have the music to listen to as there wasnt the time to get it from the car! I think Maggies system is pure genious! 10 lb 2 oz with no pain relief and yet it was totally bareable, much easier than with the other 2 births, and i was calm , coping with the pain very well, and wasnt some screaming loony in the process. It was amazing experience. Before i ever had kids i would have described myself as a 'let me at the pain relief drugs cabinet' or else type of person when i would have kids! I dont have a very strong pain threshold. So Maggie in my oppinion works miracles lol! I love how her cd helps your body to relax and go with it, not tense up and fight the birthing process with tight muscles and fear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked wonders for us. Repetition is key!, 15 Oct 2012
What a great excuse it was to put my feet up everyday and relax for 40 minutes! I used this CD on my lunch break everyday at work, and as I worked right up to the due date, it was a godsend to be able to retreat into my own little bubble everyday. I would come out of it feeling refreshed, content, and really connected to my bump and baby - excited about the birth ahead!

It was only when I was in labour that the full benefits were visible. Within a few minutes of this CD being on, my body and mind were so used to listening to this and feeling relaxed, that during the birth, my husband said my whole body would literally go soft as soon as it came on. The 3,2,1 relax was the biggest tool we used from this cd, and also the time distortion - my contractions really did feel shorter than they actually were, and the time in between each one did feel long enough for me to re-energise and be ready for the next wave! I also have this memory when I was breathing the baby out - it just didn't hurt like I was expecting.....it was like "putty" as Maggie put it. Amazing!

I still listen to this now from time to time with my baby - the familiar voice helps us unwind, and it's a nice treat to go back to my special places during the visualisation.

My advice is to stick with it - make it part of your routine during your pregnancy, and you will see and feel the benefits for you and your baby. The mind is a powerful thing - and the body is an amazing machine. I don't think we give it enough credit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please buy and read before giving birth!!!, 16 July 2013
SarahC (Madrid, Spain) - See all my reviews
I used the Natal Hypnotherapy CDs before, during and after both my pregnancies (and still use the General Relaxation one regularly now, particularly after a bad night's sleep - I feel like I get the equivalent of 2 hours refreshing sleep in the space of 25 minutes!) and they really helped me stay calm and enjoy the births. However, I REALLY wish I had read the book as it was this that completely changed my perspective on the process of giving birth. I now have a much better understanding of it as a natural process and I think that, if I had a chance to do it again, this time I would really tap into my instinctive side and let it take control. I'm not planning to have a third, but if I do, it will be because of this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars EVERY Pregnant woman NEEDS this cd!!, 23 Sep 2014
What can I say?! I loved loved loved this. With my first baby (water birth), I had gas and air from 4cm, baby was born 12 hours later after 2 full hours pushing and I didn't really know what was going on and can't remember much of it. With my second baby I found out on the Friday night that I had to have an induction on the Saturday morning. Being induced was my worst birth nightmare! I used the cd to help me get to sleep on the Friday night- I would never have managed to sleep without it. I started to have contractions around 15.30 and used breathing techniques to get through them, no one around me even knew I was having them. At 16.00 I was 4cm and my waters broke. Again I focused on using my breathing techniques as the contractions got worse. I explained my birth plan re not wanting gas and air until 8cm plus to my midwife. I wasn't allowed a water birth or even an active birth as I was induced for reduced fetal movements, this was something I'd totally dreaded, but even though the thought of giving birth on the bed was something I so feared doing, I was able to remain totally calm. At 17.20 I felt I needed gas and air and was so disappointed that I cried, as I'd hoped to get further than 7cm using only the natal hypnotherapy techniques but when the midwife examined me I was fully dialated!!!!! It had happened so fast that I had to wait until the room was ready for baby to start to push. I began pushing at 1750 and baby was born at 18.03. So from 4cm to baby being born in 2 hours. And I put it all down to this cd. I truly do. I have bought it for all of my pregnant friends! I really fell that the breathing helped me progress so quickly and more importantly allowed me to feel completely calm throughout the birth scenario I'd dreaded and as a result, it was a brilliant birth. I loved that this cd isn't constrictive in the sense of banning words etc and it's not too 'out there' , I wouldn't have liked it or used it if it was. It just teaches you the techniques and it's up to you how you use them. I got the giggles the first few times I tried to do this cd with my husband but once I got past my own self consciousness I looked forward to each session of listening to it and felt so unbelievably relaxed afterwards. Often I wondered if I'd been asleep but I always came to as she was counting down to come out of it so it must have worked perfectly, it's genius! I cannot recommend this highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars not enough!, 2 Oct 2014
I really can not rate this CD highly enough.
To be honest during my pregnancy when listening to it I really wasn't sure how much it was going to help, but I can safely say (a year on) that my birth experience was perfect and I don't think it would have been the same had I not used Natal Hypnotherapy. I did team the CD with the book and also carried out a private class with an incredible practitioner, but I do believe that regular listening to this CD is what enabled me to have the calm, controlled birth that I had dreamed of. All sounds a bit wishy washy, but I promise it is true. The biggest thing I took from Natal Hypnotherapy and Maggie Howell is belief in myself and knowing that I could do it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Please buy and use this!, 18 Mar 2008
This series of CDs is the most wonderful and effective preparation for a pain free, positive childbirth experience. I speak from experience as I have now had two children; one is hospital with the full horrors of modern medicine for a routine, healthy pregnancy: when I ended up having an epidural and ventouse delivery, and a second birth at home: using this series of CDs to prepare which resulted in an excellent, pain free home birth (nobody believes this but I swear it's true!) without medication and only using the TENS machine for what turned out to be the transition stage.
My older child (a boy aged 2 and a half) witnessed his sister's birth and it was amazing for us all as I was so calm and peaceful he was not in the least bit frightened and was a great help during the labour and birth (holding my hand during contractions etc!).
If only all women knew that it could be so wonderful! I implore every woman with even a vaguely open mind to listen to these CDs ALOT and give themselves the opportunity of a truly wonderful, peaceful birth.
(NB: I read alot to prepare too; I rate Ina May Gaskin's Childbirth book and the Grantley Dick-Dead classic Childbirth Without Fear.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoying using this cd, 20 April 2009
A. Rio Boyd "twinkler" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I bought this cd at 27 weeks pregnant, and started to use it once a week for relaxing, i am now 34 weeks pregnant and am now listening to it 3 plus times a week. it is excellent for relaxing and i am feeling really possitive about the birth of my baby. i will definately be using the techneques ive learned in this cd for the birth and hopefully i will have a wonderful birth without complications.

I would like to add to my review - i have now had my baby girl, and would very much recomend this to anyone and everyone - i had a wonderful birth and it was all thanks to the advice and technics i got from this cd (i should say that me and my husband got from this cd) as near the end of my pregnancy we both listened to it each night and he was then able to support me completely throughout my labour.
I would also like to add that i was induced - which i know that some ladies consider this to be very painful - but i gave birth to my beautiful baby girl with no pain relief at all and the experiance was amazing hahaha in fact i'd do it again right now. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 23 Oct 2009
S. Beaumont (Yorkshire, England.) - See all my reviews
Being a first time mum, I was very aprehensive about giving birth. I used this cd & listened to it everyday towards the end of my pregnancy. I had a very quick labour - about 5 hours from start to finish of which most I laboured at home without drugs! I used the techniques detailed in this cd, and even though the pains were immense I had confidence in my own body to do what women have been doing for centuries! I recommend this cd to all my friends! Worth every penny!

5.0 out of 5 stars so far so good, 22 Mar 2010
L. Romeu (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm 29 weeks pregnant with my first child and have been listening to the CD for the last 4 weeks. I can only say that so far it is helping me relax a lot. One of the times I remember listening to the first 15 minutes and then "waking" up at the end when it counts to five - very strange but deeply relaxing. If the techniques work during labour then I'll be very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super, thoroughly recommended., 2 Mar 2010
I admit I was a little sceptical, but I started listening to this CD a few times a week from about the 34th week of pregnancy. It was great for helping me to relax and encouraged me to take the time to put my feet up. Each time I ended in a deep state of relaxation, as did my husband!

I had a long latent phase (3 days) during which the CD was an absolute lifesaver, I did my yoga moves and listened to the birth music (a different natal hypnotherapy cd) in the bath. I didn't need other pain relief at this stage. I was so calm and relaxed that no one believed me when I went into active labour! Fortunately I was in hospital for something else when I insisted they check me out, and I was already well in labour. Once at the hospital I put the 15 minute session on loop on my ipod and used that for the next 5 hours. Although the music triggered relaxation, I had got used to the very soothing voice, and even once I couldn't follow the words, the voice itself reminded me to relax my shoulders etc... I had a lovely labour, quite a short active phase and pushing phase. I was relaxed and calm throughout, and was never frightened or worried at all. The midwives and my husband were impressed by how calm I was and how well I coped with the contractions. It didn't take away the hurting, but it made everything possible to cope with and reduced the sensations. I was smiling and calm right to the end.

Things went a bit wrong at the very end, but I look back on my labour as a very positive experience despite this, and I think the hypnotherapy helped this as well. I am now quite a calm and relaxed mother, with a calm and relaxed baby, which may be related to my calmness and relaxation in the late stages of pregnancy.

I wouldn't dream now of labouring without this and am recommending it to every pregnant and non-pregnant woman I know. I have been watching the documentary 'one born every minute' and keep thinking how this CD should be given free to everyone on there! Other friends who used hypnotherapy all had lovely positive labours and births, and midwives in the UK are very supportive and recognise that it is related to relaxed, calm, labouring women.