4.0 out of 5 stars A History of our love of food.
Published on 21 Oct 2011 by Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog

2.0 out of 5 stars Badly needed editing.
Published 9 days ago by hijo3

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A History of our love of food., 21 Oct 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A History of English Food (Hardcover)
England is a country that has been invaded and amalgamated by many nations so far that we no longer know what is traditionally an English dish and what has its inspiration from farther afield. In this book by Clarrisa, we explore the dishes down the ages through well researched documents and where possible, suggestions so that the reader can get a taste of the past in the modern age.

Readers will be astounded by the sheer variety and whilst for some reason we have a reputation amongst other countries for tasteless food that's boiled to mush, I've yet to find out where that originated especially considering that we've had access to spices for centuries that have not only added to our own stock of treasures but also to our larders in many varieties. Look at dishes such as almond cream which was available in the High Middle Ages or even Hippocras, a wine spiced with ginger and cinnamon, honey and Chinese pepper. We have exotic tastes and yet we're still stuck with the rather poor reputation.

Add to this influence from expanding of the Empire (with the first Curry shop opening in London in 1810 by Sake Dean Mahomed) alongside other migrant's dishes and it's a country of variety, of adventure and something new around every corner. A wonderful book all in and one that I'll enjoy reading time and again especially with the additional extra of some of the recipes in the appendices. Cracking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clarissa's passion for food is the vital ingredient in this marvellous mélange, 31 Oct 2011
This review is from: A History of English Food (Hardcover)
"Englishmen," Samuel Pepys believed, "love their bellies above everything else." Food historian Clarissa Dickson Wright traces the nation's changing relationship with food from the mid-twelfth century to the present day. She uncovers the changes in diet influenced by new foodstuffs (many of our current food favourites have in fact been around for centuries) and cooking methods, such as the popularity from the mid-seventeenth century onwards of grand (ie French) 'cuisine' as opposed to plain (English) cooking.

Her breadth of knowledge is impressively wide-ranging (did you know that Telford's Pontcysyllte Aqueduct was partly glued together with sugar?) and her approach is refreshingly hands-on: she has tried many of the old recipes, including those for lamprey ("so delicious that I can see why Henry I died from eating a surfeit of them"), seal ("disgusting"), rook ("not unpalatable") and calves' feet ("they make a very sticky sort of stew"), but not puffin ("they seem too cute to eat"); and seen traditional cooking methods in action ("I once remember coming across a rather unpleasant cheese made from skimmed milk which was blued by having an unclean horse harness dragged through it").

Clarissa's passion for food is the vital ingredient in this marvellous mélange in which she uncovers how "food tells us so much about the nature of society at a particular point in time".

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and Informative, 22 Dec 2011
R. Jewell (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A History of English Food (Hardcover)
A book to read from cover to cover or to dip in and out of, just like a recipe book in fact.

A good mix of food facts and historical anecdotes, it is not just a list of recipes through the ages. It is well researched and manages the blend of 'food recipes' and historical exposition in a well balanced way.

Well written, Dickson Wright's style is such that you can imagine her speaking directly to the reader in her enthusiastic yet intimate way.

Certainly not a dry read which occasionally "The History of..." books can become, the author maintains a lively entertaining pace throughout.

A thoroughly enjoyable and informative read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 20 Oct 2011
This review is from: A History of English Food (Hardcover)
After seeing Clarissa's TV interview, I couldn't resist adding this to my collection of cookery books, but it is much more than that.. It is informative and amusing,and much like Keith Floyd's books you can hear the writer's voice throughout. Most enjoyable, and a book I shall refer to again and again. Well worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A marvellous read, 23 April 2012
Andrew Stibbard "Andrew" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A History of English Food (Hardcover)
What a charming book! Charting the development of English food in chronological order from very early on it provides an interesting view on the evolution of food through the ages and the contributing influences.

What I like best is the fact that she quotes old recipes in the book, so it can actually be used as a cookery book. A little tip, take a small pad of post it notes and put in menu bookmarks as you go along. In this way you'll be able to retrieve the menus quickly from this large book.

The other thing about it is the length, it's a big book and just keeps on giving. Nothing worse than a book that ends too soon when you're really enjoying it.

This was bought for me as a present and I really like it, makes a perfect present for anyone who is faintly interested in food. Strongly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Foodie, 8 Nov 2012
Ian Wright - See all my reviews
This is a lucid and well written book about the history of our cuisine. C Dickson-Wright ranks alongside Dorothy Hartley as a must read!

2.0 out of 5 stars Badly needed editing., 23 Aug 2014
This review is from: A History of English Food (Hardcover)
Given to me as a gift to a food lover, this book came with high expectations. Great concept and well researched, but in need of some judicious editing to remove all of the narcissistic references to herself - completlely unneccessary in a work of this kind. I found her repeated references to her own drink problem irritating, and her subtle bragging about her privileged background and ownership of rare books, wearing. The result is that what is essentially a history book has too much of the author's presence. I have a hunch that CDW was considered too formidable for her publisher to stand up to her, and left all the narcissistic asides in for that reason.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a woman, 25 Mar 2014
She knows whereof she speaks, and she speaks with such eloquence. A magnificent read. A wonderful work to leave behind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfort Reading, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: A History of English Food (Hardcover)
Excellent bed- time reading except for the desire to get up and make cheese on toast! Scholarly, amusing,informative, comforting and enlightening, perfect for anyone who loves food and is intrested in social history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable ammunition, 15 Feb 2014
In my continuing struggle to convince my Chinese partner that English food has NOT always been disgusting this book provides valuable evidence. Now I can blame the British eating habits on the French (boring Service a la Francaise) and the Germans (Woolton Pie, Snook and rationing thanks to their fiendish U Boat campaigns). Both have left a terrible legacy. I now insist on my chef preparing dishes for Service a la Russe and using the whole gamut of exotic spices last used in mediaeval times. Of course, I need many more footmen these days, and my butler is exacting a heavy burden in the cost of port to steady his nerves, but we must all be prepared to pay a price to put the Chinese in their place gastronomically, however charming they may be personally. Vive les Rosbifs!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

A History of English Food
A History of English Food by Clarissa Dickson Wright (Hardcover - 13 Oct 2011)
10.00