5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating!!
this is an absolute must for all fans of Paul Talling's website of the same name.It gives an insight into the lesser known side of London,from hospitals to pubs,left to decay or be demolished to make way for yet more luxury flats (rabbit hutches) or offices.Its very sad to see the old,beautiful buildings like the numourus public houses being demolished,its like pulling...
Published on 8 May 2008 by A. Hubbard

3.0 out of 5 stars Too small
Am I the only one who was shocked to find how small this book is? Of course, I should have checked the dimensions before buying, but somehow I don't feel too stupid for assuming that a book of beautifully shot photographs would be of a size where they can be appreciated... not some titchy pocket book.
Published on 27 Dec 2008 by David Bootle

5.0 out of 5 stars London is falling down..., 20 Sep 2008
Philip Walker (London - UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Derelict London (Paperback)
Loved this! A great reference to parts of London we see every day, but ignore so easily.

One of the buildings I walk past going to work every day is in here, and I look at it now, and soak in the History.

This is a great little book, if you love London and its history, you will really enjoy Derelict London.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and entertaining history of abandoned structures in London, 15 Aug 2009
Darryl R. Morris "Kidzdoc" (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Derelict London (Paperback)
This is an interesting book, consisting of color photographs taken by the author over several years of abandoned and decaying but still inhabited residences, pubs, factories, rail stations, World War II pillboxes and shelters, and cemeteries within the city. The author includes brief histories of the structures, along with future plans. Examples include the Down Street Underground Station on the Picadilly Line, which served as temporary headquarters for Winston Churchill and his cabinet during World War II; the Necropolis Railway Station, which was used to transport the dead from Waterloo Station to the Brookwood Necropolis, once the largest cemetery in the world; and the Intrepid Fox, a recently closed pub in Soho that was favored by rock stars such as Mick Jagger and Rod Stewart. This was a very entertaining read, which would be appreciated by Londoners and visitors interested in the history of the capital.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent beauty and decay in the big smoke, 23 April 2008
C. Whitworth "juliehill87" (Nottingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Derelict London (Paperback)
A terrific book and one that accompanies a similar subject from the photographer Stephen Shore.Personally i find places like Pudding Mill river (with or without car tyres) preferable to what it will be replaced with for the Olympics of 2012.Have faith in action groups and committees that fight to protect such areas and places!
London is such an exotic city and an endlessly historically fascinating place. I think the author spends a little too much time worrying about regeneration of certain areas and the take over by the corporate beast. These things are cyclical and cities constantly reinvent themselves,we are no longer the Empire we once were......I have no problem with old and new side by side unlike a certain member of the Royal family! I cannot see London or any other large U.K city ever becoming bland.There may come in time in the future when a Starbucks cafe itself becomes a listed site! Recessions,wealth and fortunes of this country will let it continue to develop and manifest itself in bizarre and interesting new ways. I don't think we should become over sensitive or too sentimental with a cities development.Look to the future as well as protecting some of the past.

5.0 out of 5 stars photography books, 16 May 2014
This review is from: Derelict London (Paperback)
a well laid out book with well researched text photography is to a very good standard. A good addition to anyones book shelf

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little book..., 28 April 2013
This review is from: Derelict London (Paperback)
..that's full of "well I never knew that" facts. It is worth buying just for the Russian tank in South London.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 21 Jan 2012
Mrs. J. Aljaf (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Derelict London (Paperback)
Fantastic little book with great pics and just the right amount of blurb. I love the scruffy corners of London and this book feeds my interest! Many of the photographs depict long since demolished buildings so it's a wonderful bit of nostaglia too - albeit on a low key scale (no glitz and glamour here!) The book is smaller than I initially expected (approx 13.5 cm x 15.5 cm), however every page features a full page colour photograph faced by a short piece of information about the site depicted. I found the book through the associated website and my only minor dissapointment was that not all of the photos featured on the website appear in the book. In particular, I missed those of some of the old venues such as the Astoria. The website also features pics from early gigs - not in the book so check them out online! Overall, this book is a definite recommend, and as an added bonus is good value as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Derelict London, 30 Mar 2011
J. P. Stubbs (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Derelict London (Paperback)
A book of remarkable and unusual photographs. I bought it as a present for my granddaugghter who is a keen photographer and she was thrilled.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for finding out about London's hidden derelict secrets, 28 Aug 2014
This review is from: Derelict London (Paperback)
Good for finding out about London's hidden derelict secrets! My only criticism would be the small size of the book! Would love if it was slightly bigger!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic little book!, 11 July 2008
Claire Wilson (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Derelict London (Paperback)
This book is fascinating, a great insight to history in our city that we might often miss. The photos are well taken.

I would highly recommend it to anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Missing a trick?, 4 Feb 2011
Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke "Graham BC" (Rayleigh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Derelict London (Paperback)
Like other reviewers I was so surprised as to how small this book is. Too small and I really wonder why its such a small paperback when other urban exploration books are larger and hardback.

I was really looking forward to this book being a real life lover of derelict London and an urban explorer but this book disappoints. Its too small in page numbers, not enough writing about the properties and the photographs are poor with a number of the buildings missing stories (ie the Necropolitis Railway for example) or really have no interest - ie the Arsenal Stadium mid development (not derelict). I so wanted the book to be full of images of derelict building which were fascinating to urge me to view but some of the derelict properties are really not of note and some which are well known in the city are missed - for example those in the dock areas of London.

it is not all bad news though as there are quite a few properties which are new to me and some are of real note.

I hope the author or someone else runs with the idea and produces a book like Asylum or Beauty in Decay which are both excellent books on derelict and unloved properties.

Derelict London
Derelict London by Paul Talling (Paperback - 24 April 2008)