5.0 out of 5 stars Between Weathers
This is a truly delightful book. I felt totally bereft when I finished it .
During his stay in Shetland Ron McMillan not only talked to a lot of Shetlanders he also listened to them and the result is an extremely informative and easy read.
Published on 22 Jun 2008 by Shetlander

1.0 out of 5 stars Between the Weathers
Given this book as a present for Christmas. Faulty printing so that eight pages out of the first chapter haven't printed so haven't bothered to read further. Shame it looks an interesting book. Can't return as over the return dates. Pity.
Published 24 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Between Weathers, 22 Jun 2008
This review is from: Between Weathers: Travels in 21st Century Shetland (Non-Fiction) (Paperback)
This is a truly delightful book. I felt totally bereft when I finished it .
I have lived in Shetland for 30 years but still learned things I didn't know and was reminded of things I had forgotten.
A lot of my friends will be getting this book for Christmas if not before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Altogether an excellent read !, 10 Jun 2008
Ron McMillan has written an excellent book that has made this particular traveler want to conquer his own aversion to traveling by sea and high tail it up to this stunning part of the country. Extremely difficult to put this book down once I stared to read it. Congratulations Ron!

MAC

5.0 out of 5 stars shetland revisited, 10 Jun 2008
John "John" (Black Isle , Scotland) - See all my reviews
A great read, once I started I couln't put it down. Informative in an easy read style.Nicely humerous . Full of couthy chat and enlightening stories of Shetland folk.I cannot recommend it highly enough and will definitely be taking it along on my next trip back to Shetland.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome Gem, 7 Aug 2008
every now and then a life-affirming feelgood pops up from nowhere-and this is one of the best.Filled with impressive research and love of its subject,this is a triumph in the finest tradition of travel writing.A rare combination of wistful and forceful it is a humourous journey of self-discovery we can only hope McMillan continues in Orkney,Islay and the WesternIsles.Is the new Neil Munro in our midst?

5.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable travelogue, 20 Aug 2008
A nicely written, warm, humane, and informative account of a recent trip to Shetland by a Scottish journalist who has spent most of his career working in Asia. McMillan visits just out of season, and he takes the time to mix with locals to try to get a feel for life in the islands. Being Scottish, yet still an outsider, gives him a good perspective from which to take in Shetland. This seems to be McMillan's first book of travel writing, and I'm looking forward to more from him in the future. The Sandstone Press is also looking increasingly interesting as a publisher of quality Scottish non-fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Between Weathers, 15 July 2008
M. Johnston "Mary J" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
I found this book difficult to put down, not just because he wrote in such an interesting way of the geological, historical, sociological -I could go on- features of the Shetlands interspersed with such humour and engaging characters as well as insights into other aspects of his life, but because his prose is so poetic - especially when he writes of the weather. These descriptions read like prose poetry. I'm glad it is being considered for a Saltire Award.

5.0 out of 5 stars First-rate travel writing, 18 July 2008
This is a superb piece of travel writing -- no surprise, then, that it has been nominated for a Saltire Society Literary Award. Finely-honed prose from a likeable, engaging narrator exploring the scenery, history, geology and more besides of what sounds like a fascinating part of the world, it reflects beautifully and very positively on Shetland and Shetlanders. I have never been to the islands, but this book has convinced me of the need to put that right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hunny - I was there, 4 July 2008
After meeting Ron in that October and spending time with him since, I was really looking forward to reading his book. I've just finished it and loved it, now I know all that scribbling in notebooks was worth it!
It's lovely to read about the islands I love from Ron's perception of us all.
I would have loved to see more photgraphs as I know he has some fantastic shots, but a visit to his website helps fulfill that desire.
I look forward to the next trip he writes about - maybe our trip to Faroe?

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 27 Jun 2008
I've been to Shetland twice - once as a child and once as an adult. And now I want to go back again. Ron McMillan's humane and warmly written book makes these islands come alive and his self-deprecating humour is a credit to him and makes his prose all the more attractive. Recommended to those who are thinking of going and those who want to be reminded of their time there. And to anyone else who just likes a good read

5.0 out of 5 stars Muckle Flugga. Muckle Flugga. Muckle Flugga., 2 July 2008
Roberto (Yokosuka, Japan) - See all my reviews
When I opened "Between Weathers" there was a 50 percent chance I'd have been able to pinpoint the Shetland Islands on a map. "Shetlands, Faroes, Shetlands, Faroes ... must decide!"

By the time I finished, I felt as though I'd been to the Shetlands with Ron McMillan as he blew up the rear windscreen of Kathy Coull's Peugeot, apprenticed with the Fair Isle bank robbers, caught a ride with "the second worst driver in the world" and experienced/endured all manner of "weathers".

Ron is a good storyteller, and had me laughing out loud on at least a dozen occasions, but the real gold in "Between Weathers" are his frankly recounted encounters with Shetlanders, who share their history, geology, ornithology and ... meteorology.

Thanks to "Between Weathers", the Shetland Islands are now on my "to be visited" travel wish list.

First man: "Muckle Flugga."
Second man: "Muckle Flugga to you, too."

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Between Weathers: Travels in 21st Century Shetland (Non-Fiction)