5.0 out of 5 stars I'll tell you a story about when you were little ...
Loved this book for toddlers. It's such a major part of their life for breastfed babies and children, of course we need a lovely book about the experience. Beautiful artwork, excellent details about the lived experience of extended breastfeeding. We've added this book to the Norwich Baby Garden lending library.
Published on 30 Nov 2011 by S. Walker

3.0 out of 5 stars A rare book normalising breastfeeding
This is a colourfully illustrated book about breastfeeding. It's simple story follows a mum and baby from birth to weaning, and mentions lots of memorable moments, such as snuggling up in bed with daddy, mama milk to comfort and soothe, and those relaxing moments where one's ever-active infant becomes still for a little while at the breast.

Although it is...
Published on 25 Nov 2011 by K. Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll tell you a story about when you were little ..., 30 Nov 2011
S. Walker "sister shawn" (Norwich, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You, Me and the Breast (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for toddlers or young children about breastfeeding, 13 Nov 2011
This review is from: You, Me and the Breast (Paperback)
This is a lovely story to read aloud to a toddler or a young child with beautiful illustrations showing the breastfeeding relationship of a mother and child. It realistically portrays the joy of breastfeeding and it was great to read a book that showed nursing taking its course and waiting for weaning to happen naturally. I read it with our daughter (almost two years old) and she particularly loved the pictures of the baby and wants me to read it "again" when it's finished!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Children's Book, 8 Aug 2014
This review is from: You, Me and the Breast (Paperback)
You, Me and the Breast is another beautifully illustrated book from Pinter & Martin’s children’s series featuring birth with a breastfeeding theme. The book starts with a picture from How You Were Born of baby having his very first breastfeed as a newborn. The story then follows the breastfeeding journey with everything from co-sleeping to carrying in a sling to weaning along the way. The little details in the pictures make the book a wonderful talking point for story time and all with the trademark happy bright colours, flowers and flowing hair. Although there aren’t many words on each page there is plenty to talk about with your little one.
The main theme of the book is as the title suggests; about breastfeeding. Mum is seen nursing her little one in various scenarios e.g. while reading a book (about breastfeeding!), talking on her mobile, feeding while shopping and even exercising. It’s a lovely book portraying breastfeeding as a normal, natural part of growing up.

I love that the mums from the baby group or coffee morning in How You Were Born are back again now each with their breastfed newborn and each in different colourful outfits. The final spread shows mum saying goodnight to her little boy holding a copy of the book she has just read.

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughters loved this book!, 22 Feb 2012
This review is from: You, Me and the Breast (Paperback)
I Purchased this book, to review it for my local Childrens centre,I loved it!. I have 3 young children myself, i wish this book had been published 7 years ago so i could have read it when my middle daughter was born,it has beautiful bright expressive pictures that my daughters loved!...I will 100% percent be reccomending this book to not only my local childrens centre but also to my childrens school, what an amazing read for children to normalise breastfeeding.x

5.0 out of 5 stars loved, 2 Jan 2012
Ms. M. A. Mccarthy (Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You, Me and the Breast (Paperback)
My two girls 3 and 6 both love this book and all breastfeeding mums I've shown it to love it too. Beautiful illustrations. Shame it's paperback, and a little pricey too for softback, though I guess it won't get massive circulation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A child friendly breastfeeding book!, 9 Dec 2011
This review is from: You, Me and the Breast (Paperback)
I have been reading this story to my son who is nearly 3 and still breastfed and he has thoroughly enjoyed it. I love the pictures and everything that the book represents (co-sleeping, breastfeeding on demand, anywhere, anyhow, baby wearing). It covers right from birth to when the child is older and falling asleep by themselves without milk in their big bed. My son is not particularly familiar with the word Breast however so we used our code "Mummy Milk" instead where necessary which did not detract from the book at all.

I am currently pregnant and I have been using this book to show my little boy how the new baby will be with Mummy and feeding from Mummy like he did and I think that it has really helped my little boy to understand what will happen and he has been asking questions about the baby that he hadn't thought of before we read this story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great if trying to wean an older child, 17 Feb 2012
Mrs. Anna G. Hughes (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You, Me and the Breast (Paperback)
I was so pleased to see that a book for children about breastfeeding had come out and I was not disappointed! It is a lovely book with very unusual and eye catching pictures. It gives a very positive depiction of breastfeeding and most mums I am sure would be glad to be able to share their experience with their children who were too young to remember being breastfed and the close bond. I feel that this book will be especially good for any older children who are being weaned off the breast and understand a bit more and now can have the story at bedtime instead of a feed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book!, 1 May 2012
This review is from: You, Me and the Breast (Paperback)
You, me and the breast by Monica Calaf (text) and Mikel Fuentes (illustration) is a beautifully illustrated book. The pages are bold and colourful, and very engaging. One aspect I thought was great was that the illustrations of the characters (Mum, Dad, non-gendered baby) are so over the top (in a good way!) that it is difficult to tell their exact ethnicity, which means children and parents of most, if not all, origins are hopefully able to recognise themselves in the different scenarios.

The story covers most aspects of breastfeeding, from birth, via co-sleeping, babywearing, coffee mornings, feeding in public, to teething and finally weaning. It's great for a gentle playful overview of how convenient breastfeeding is - you can do it while swimming, gardening, cooking, even exercising! - and how it contributes to a close bond.

The book provides lots of talking points and it's great that it presents attachment parenting as a completely normal way of life: parents and baby snuggle up together at night, baby is carried in a sling, and it's also nice to see an image of Dad feeding Mum while she is feeding the baby, to show that he is also caring for someone.

I think it's great to have a book especially dedicated to breastfeeding. Books are usually very useful when it comes to specific life events (books about moving house, getting a new sibling, going on holiday etc etc) in order to explain things to children in a way they will understand and provide them with an opportunity to think about events and ask questions.

3.0 out of 5 stars A rare book normalising breastfeeding, 25 Nov 2011
K. Hall (Reading UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You, Me and the Breast (Paperback)

Although it is clearly presented as a children's book, I was a little confused about who the target audience was. Some of the information: `my nipple darkened... and gave off a rich smell' sounds unnecessarily technical in a book for a small child. The cursive script was too difficult for my competent five year-old to read himself, and he had a lot of questions about the illustrations (`which one is her hand?' `why has she got birds in her hair?').

It was nice to see dad included in some of the pictures, although I have reservations about the depiction of him `aeroplaning' puréed food into the baby's mouth.

On balance, the more books for children that normalise breastfeeding, the better. It would be good to see this widely available in local libraries and schools.

3.0 out of 5 stars children love this book!, 23 Jan 2013
This review is from: You, Me and the Breast (Paperback)
I had trouble working out who this book was aimed at. Some of the details are very specific (babywearing, feeding into toddlerhood) and wouldn't apply to all breastfeeding families, so the use of 'you' I found odd. It almost felt like a memoir of a specific breastfeeding relationship. My 2 yr old niece, had no such difficulty, she came back to the book again and again and seemed to love that this was something she could relate to. This is how she summed it up: 'I like it, the baby has lady milk'. So I guess that answers who its aimed at!

You, Me and the Breast
You, Me and the Breast by Monica Calaf (Paperback - 17 Oct 2011)
6.99