5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading - from pregnancy to childhood
Published on 19 July 2010 by J. Fieth

3.0 out of 5 stars quite useful read
Easy to read and filled with useful information and advice on breastfeeding babies of different age groups. Offers links for online support and additional info. Good psychological support for new moms who want to nurse and may face some initial difficulties .
Published on 21 Aug 2011 by penny_g

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading - from pregnancy to childhood, 19 July 2010
J. Fieth "Skipper" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
I am so excited about this new edition of Womanly Art of Breastfeeding - it is a one-stop source of clear and encouraging information about becoming a mum and getting to grips with breastfeeding. It is written in such a gentle supportive way that it is easy to read and understand at a time when you might feel overwhelmed or bleary-eyed! It covers all you need to know (including things you didn't realise you needed!) about how to get to know your baby and enjoy breastfeeding - and helps you avoid and overcome any early problems as you and your baby get to know each other. I wish I had had this earlier with my children - it would have given me much more confidence about what I was doing and given me much needed support. It doesn't just cover breastfeeding, but sleeping, solids, working, weaning and loads more and has really practical realistic advice. You can dip in or read it from cover to cover and keep discovering gems of information. There is a really good section on tech support which covers a huge array of practical questions and concerns about your baby and breastfeeding. I love the 'tear-off sheets' in the back for when you just want a quick reminder, including a tick-list of how many poos your newborn has done! Forget baby clothes or toys - this is a perfect present for any pregnant or new (or old!) mum.. they can't have it too soon and will give them years of information and support.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, 6 Sep 2010
Sue Cardus (Coventry, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
This edition is a lot thicker than my old one, so I was wondering how I would get on with it, but found it great - easy to dip into as it is well planned out and the sections are short enough to make for easy reading.

The content is super! Down-to-earth yet touches the heart; practical whilst making a mother feel good about the way she is choosing to mother her baby. It encourages you to tap into your own instincts and do what feels right for you. I love the quirky little bits, like "Trust the Fists" (pg 120), which explains how when a baby is hungry he tends to clench his fists tightly. It's stuff like that that makes this book what it is - a mine of information as well as making you feel good about how you mother your baby.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'The' breastfeeding book, 13 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
What a wonderful book! I can't fault it. Well written, accessible, useful for complete beginners and veterans alike. I recommend it to all mums-to-be, and not just yoghurt-knitters like me, but anyone wanting to know more about breastfeeding.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for anyone breastfeeding, planning to, or supporting someone who is breastfeeding, 4 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
I find this book tops as a resource for all my breastfeeding questions. I am now feeding my second, and still I refer to it. My girl wanted to start nursing again, and it helped me with positioning 2, and also with ideas on keeping her busy whilst I need to feed the baby alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 9 April 2013
This review is from: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
I am a midwife and as such, I know that this book is a good one. However, I bought it for my niece who works as a breast feeding peer supporter although she is also a breast feeding mum. She tells me that she loves this book and has read it again and again and has learned loads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 5 April 2013
This review is from: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
This is the best source of breastfeeding information I have ever laid my hands on. It is like a bible for breastfeeding. You will not regret buying this

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
I bought this book a little reluctantly when I was desperate for some help after my 3rd child was born tongue-tied. I had seen it recommend numerous times on a baby forum and decided to try it as a secondary book to another one I had bought at the same time. This one arrived first, however, and I never got around to reading the other one!

I say reluctantly because I am very scientific and matter-of-fact in the way that I think and I figured this book to be a wishy-washy lovey-dovey anti-formula book of mush. The reality was quite different! Or maybe it just brain-washed me into loving the wishy-washy lovey-dovey anti-formula way of thinking? I'm not even sure. Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It helped me with the technical, how-to side of breastfeeding (and other aspects of tiny-baby care) as well as teaching me something that I had not learnt when nursing my first two children: how to *enjoy* breastfeeding!

I had not managed to breastfeed my first two for as long as I had wanted. It was not a very enjoyable experience for me in the end and both times ended with a distressed mother and baby and an emergency trip to the supermarket for some formula. Why did I not know about The Womanly Art Of Breastfeeding until my 3rd child?! I fully credit this book to helping me succeed in and enjoy breastfeeding my 3rd child for 14 months, when it ended on *my* terms.

I recommend this book to anyone expecting a baby!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 2 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
Brilliant book! Any worries or concerns you have about breastfeeding, sleep, solids, work, will all be washed away when u read this book!! Really makes you feel good that you are giving the best start to your child and empowers you to keep goin!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential - Bible of Breastfeeding!, 6 May 2014
This review is from: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
This really is the BIBLE of BREAST FEEDING, litteraly everything you need to know and a really great reference book I just dipped into every time I needed a bit of help from freezing to routines and expressing - you will not regret buying this book.
Don't let the title put you off, its not a hippy dippy discussion on the beautiful art of BF (although it does acknowledge its beauty)
It really is a practical guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical easy to read, 5 July 2013
This review is from: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
I bought this book for my daughter. It was my source of beast feeding info 30 years ago when she was a baby! I found it invaluable then, but times have changed and there is no shortage of information about breastfeeding now. I skimmed through the book when I was visiting recently, and it still seems to offer reliable and accessible information on babycare as well as breast feeding.

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by Teresa Pitman (Paperback - 13 July 2010)