5.0 out of 5 stars The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
This edition is a lot thicker than my old one, so I was wondering how I would get on with it, but found it great - easy to dip into as it is well planned out and the sections are short enough to make for easy reading.

Published on 6 Sept. 2010 by Sue Cardus

3.0 out of 5 stars This book offers lots of interesting tips on breastfeeding that ...
This book offers lots of interesting tips on breastfeeding that I have not found elsewhere but be aware that it REALLY pushes attachment parenting and can be a bit dismissive at times of legitimate reasons women may have to discontinue breastfeeding. Overall though a very handy guide.
Published 6 months ago by LJ795

5.0 out of 5 stars The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, 6 Sept. 2010
Sue Cardus (Coventry, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)

The content is super! Down-to-earth yet touches the heart; practical whilst making a mother feel good about the way she is choosing to mother her baby. It encourages you to tap into your own instincts and do what feels right for you. I love the quirky little bits, like "Trust the Fists" (pg 120), which explains how when a baby is hungry he tends to clench his fists tightly. It's stuff like that that makes this book what it is - a mine of information as well as making you feel good about how you mother your baby.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading - from pregnancy to childhood, 19 July 2010
J. Fieth "Skipper" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
I am so excited about this new edition of Womanly Art of Breastfeeding - it is a one-stop source of clear and encouraging information about becoming a mum and getting to grips with breastfeeding. It is written in such a gentle supportive way that it is easy to read and understand at a time when you might feel overwhelmed or bleary-eyed! It covers all you need to know (including things you didn't realise you needed!) about how to get to know your baby and enjoy breastfeeding - and helps you avoid and overcome any early problems as you and your baby get to know each other. I wish I had had this earlier with my children - it would have given me much more confidence about what I was doing and given me much needed support. It doesn't just cover breastfeeding, but sleeping, solids, working, weaning and loads more and has really practical realistic advice. You can dip in or read it from cover to cover and keep discovering gems of information. There is a really good section on tech support which covers a huge array of practical questions and concerns about your baby and breastfeeding. I love the 'tear-off sheets' in the back for when you just want a quick reminder, including a tick-list of how many poos your newborn has done! Forget baby clothes or toys - this is a perfect present for any pregnant or new (or old!) mum.. they can't have it too soon and will give them years of information and support.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for anyone breastfeeding, planning to, or supporting someone who is breastfeeding, 4 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
I find this book tops as a resource for all my breastfeeding questions. I am now feeding my second, and still I refer to it. My girl wanted to start nursing again, and it helped me with positioning 2, and also with ideas on keeping her busy whilst I need to feed the baby alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book to quash fears about breastfeeding, 29 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
This book goes a long way to banishing the unpleasant and untrue myths about breastfeeding: that a woman won't have enough milk, that she must stop if she gets mastitis or a plugged duct, that she must supplement with formula, that breastfeeding is unnatural or uncomfortable, etc. Instead of perpetuating fear and discomfort about breastfeeding, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding strives to reintroduce breastfeeding as the natural, normal way to feed an infant and to get rid of some of the stigmas surrounding breastfeeding.

Particularly useful are the many pages on what to do if you have a problem, with specific solutions to problems and suggestions for places to go for help if things aren't working. While some of the positions taken may be considered extreme by those who have not been exposed to breastfeeding before (i.e. that breastmilk is the only nourishment a child needs until at least the age of six months, that breastfeeding can and should be continued for as long as a child wants to), it is a very naturalistic view of feeding an infant, and goes back to the roots of humankind to establish what is and has for millennia been the biological norm.

Another useful item in the book is a set of pages that are designed to be removed (or printed from the La Leche League website) to be posted on the refrigerator or in an otherwise accessible place for easy reference when it comes to some basic information and reminders about what is normal during breastfeeding.

All in all, it is an excellent 'Bible' of breastfeeding for those interested in a natural, healthy, and easy way to feed their infant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 9 April 2013
This review is from: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
I am a midwife and as such, I know that this book is a good one. However, I bought it for my niece who works as a breast feeding peer supporter although she is also a breast feeding mum. She tells me that she loves this book and has read it again and again and has learned loads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 5 April 2013
This review is from: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
This is the best source of breastfeeding information I have ever laid my hands on. It is like a bible for breastfeeding. You will not regret buying this

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 12 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
I bought this book a little reluctantly when I was desperate for some help after my 3rd child was born tongue-tied. I had seen it recommend numerous times on a baby forum and decided to try it as a secondary book to another one I had bought at the same time. This one arrived first, however, and I never got around to reading the other one!

I say reluctantly because I am very scientific and matter-of-fact in the way that I think and I figured this book to be a wishy-washy lovey-dovey anti-formula book of mush. The reality was quite different! Or maybe it just brain-washed me into loving the wishy-washy lovey-dovey anti-formula way of thinking? I'm not even sure. Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It helped me with the technical, how-to side of breastfeeding (and other aspects of tiny-baby care) as well as teaching me something that I had not learnt when nursing my first two children: how to *enjoy* breastfeeding!

I had not managed to breastfeed my first two for as long as I had wanted. It was not a very enjoyable experience for me in the end and both times ended with a distressed mother and baby and an emergency trip to the supermarket for some formula. Why did I not know about The Womanly Art Of Breastfeeding until my 3rd child?! I fully credit this book to helping me succeed in and enjoy breastfeeding my 3rd child for 14 months, when it ended on *my* terms.

I recommend this book to anyone expecting a baby!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 2 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
Brilliant book! Any worries or concerns you have about breastfeeding, sleep, solids, work, will all be washed away when u read this book!! Really makes you feel good that you are giving the best start to your child and empowers you to keep goin!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential - Bible of Breastfeeding!, 6 May 2014
This review is from: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
This really is the BIBLE of BREAST FEEDING, litteraly everything you need to know and a really great reference book I just dipped into every time I needed a bit of help from freezing to routines and expressing - you will not regret buying this book.
Don't let the title put you off, its not a hippy dippy discussion on the beautiful art of BF (although it does acknowledge its beauty)
It really is a practical guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical easy to read, 5 July 2013
This review is from: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
I bought this book for my daughter. It was my source of beast feeding info 30 years ago when she was a baby! I found it invaluable then, but times have changed and there is no shortage of information about breastfeeding now. I skimmed through the book when I was visiting recently, and it still seems to offer reliable and accessible information on babycare as well as breast feeding.

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by Teresa Pitman (Paperback - 13 July 2010)