Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 November 2009
I read this after recently finishing Ina May's Guide to Childbirth (which by the way, I loved) and I have to expect I was expecting a bit of 70s style hippy-earth-mother-breastfeeding rant (not that there would be anything wrong with that)! Sure, there was a section on wet-nursing and the ability of grandmothers to lactate that some may find a bit "out there" but I was suprised at the level of practical advice and I think that much of the information is very relevant to modern women, for example, those returning to work who want breast pumping help. In fact, for me, if anything the level of practical information was almost tedious in parts and I am never convinced that the best place to go for information and help at 3am with a screaming baby refusing to latch on is a book. I think that by far the strongest point of this book is the political message- that all women have a right to breastfeed and all babies have a right to drink breastmilk. I loved the section towards the end that dealt with nipplephobia and breastfeeding in public- I think any pregnant or new mum reading this and struggling with the idea of breastfeeding away from home would find this very empowering. Written with Ina May's down-to-earth and no-fuss style and humour, it was very easy to read. I read this pregant with my second child and would definitely recommend this book to anyone expecting a baby!
on 17 December 2009
A truly fantastic book. Very well written and easy to understand. Every topic is covered with sound advice to follow. I have managed to avoid the doctors twice with the use of this book. My Daughter and I are now enjoying painless breastfeeding thanks to Ina May. I highly reccommend this book.
on 13 January 2010
Awesome book buy this and marvel at the common sense and wonder of breastfeeding your baby
on 21 December 2010
I found this book good for information on breastfeeding but it did go on a bit at the start about how wonderful breastfeeding is. I think if you are buying this book then you already believe that! I did not need to be 'converted'.
on 21 May 2010
I wrote the "rival" book on breastfeeding, The Food of Love, but I think this is fantastic. You get important, comprehensive information with dealing with breastfeeding problems. Gaskin also offers sound advice on teaching your baby "good manners" and addressing problem behaviours, while remaining compassionate and sympathetic to baby's needs. Plus her analysis of the cultural context of breastfeeding, and thoughts on cross-feeding are a really valuable addition to the breastfeeding canon. Breastfeeding cannons? Interesting image...
on 5 November 2009
Is this like all the other 'Breastfeeding Guides'? Definitley not! I wanted to be impressed that the latest and greatest research was included such as 'Biological Nurturing' and it was. The book is so well written its like having Ina right their beside you every step of the way helping you learn the skills of breastfeeding and dealing with societies un-baby friendly views about breastfeeding. Can't think of anything that hasn't been not only covered but solutions offered.
Dana Hunter
on 14 August 2012
I'm living away from home so without my mother's and sister's breastfeeding advice to hand, I bought this. I found it hugely reassuring, practical and political but in a polite way.

I brought it with me to hospital when I gave birth and it was great having it to hand while getting feeding established. It has smart ideas, reassuring stories but it also gave you that positive encouragement when you were tired and overwrought and were starting to think 'sod it'. Glad we persevered.
on 4 March 2013
I really like Ina May Gaskins books ,and I think this book gives a well rounded understanding of breastfeeding,a little pushy now and then ,it also gave answers to questions I felt a little to embarrassed to ask the midwives (hey If your like me you honestly had no clue about breastfeeding) I will recommend this book to all my friends when they decide to have children
on 20 November 2012
For a new mum to be and a complete beginner to breastfeeding this is a really useful book. It covers everything you might want to ask or worry about and promotes you as a reader to become confident in your knowledge about breastfeeding. The advice is very practial and helps develop your self confidence and willingness to not be afraid to ask for help.
on 29 September 2014
I love her approach to all the challenges that having a new baby brings, especially in this book in terms of breastfeeding. Its made me look at it in a new light that can only help my practice as a midwife in the future.