5.0 out of 5 stars Best Breastfeeding Book Out There!, 19 Nov 2009
This review is from: Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding (Paperback)
I read this after recently finishing Ina May's Guide to Childbirth (which by the way, I loved) and I have to expect I was expecting a bit of 70s style hippy-earth-mother-breastfeeding rant (not that there would be anything wrong with that)! Sure, there was a section on wet-nursing and the ability of grandmothers to lactate that some may find a bit "out there" but I was suprised at the level of practical advice and I think that much of the information is very relevant to modern women, for example, those returning to work who want breast pumping help. In fact, for me, if anything the level of practical information was almost tedious in parts and I am never convinced that the best place to go for information and help at 3am with a screaming baby refusing to latch on is a book. I think that by far the strongest point of this book is the political message- that all women have a right to breastfeed and all babies have a right to drink breastmilk. I loved the section towards the end that dealt with nipplephobia and breastfeeding in public- I think any pregnant or new mum reading this and struggling with the idea of breastfeeding away from home would find this very empowering. Written with Ina May's down-to-earth and no-fuss style and humour, it was very easy to read. I read this pregant with my second child and would definitely recommend this book to anyone expecting a baby!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 17 Dec 2009
This review is from: Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding (Paperback)
A truly fantastic book. Very well written and easy to understand. Every topic is covered with sound advice to follow. I have managed to avoid the doctors twice with the use of this book. My Daughter and I are now enjoying painless breastfeeding thanks to Ina May. I highly reccommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breasttastic, 13 Jan 2010
This review is from: Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding (Paperback)
Awesome book buy this and marvel at the common sense and wonder of breastfeeding your baby

5.0 out of 5 stars It's brilliant, 21 May 2010
K. Evans "Kate Evans" (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding (Paperback)
I wrote the "rival" book on breastfeeding, The Food of Love, but I think this is fantastic. You get important, comprehensive information with dealing with breastfeeding problems. Gaskin also offers sound advice on teaching your baby "good manners" and addressing problem behaviours, while remaining compassionate and sympathetic to baby's needs. Plus her analysis of the cultural context of breastfeeding, and thoughts on cross-feeding are a really valuable addition to the breastfeeding canon. Breastfeeding cannons? Interesting image...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide to Breastfeeding, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding (Paperback)
I really enjoyed reading this book and found it thoroughly informative. I am currently pregnant with my first baby and it really gave me a lot of good info on breastfeeding and how to approach challenges in a positive way. The author is very experienced in her background as a midwife. I expect i will read this book again and consult it once my baby is here if any difficulties come up when I am breastfeeding. Thoroughly recommended book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good informative book, 21 Dec 2010
This review is from: Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding (Paperback)
I found this book good for information on breastfeeding but it did go on a bit at the start about how wonderful breastfeeding is. I think if you are buying this book then you already believe that! I did not need to be 'converted'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding, 5 Nov 2009
D. Hunter "Dana Hunter" (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding (Paperback)
Is this like all the other 'Breastfeeding Guides'? Definitley not! I wanted to be impressed that the latest and greatest research was included such as 'Biological Nurturing' and it was. The book is so well written its like having Ina right their beside you every step of the way helping you learn the skills of breastfeeding and dealing with societies un-baby friendly views about breastfeeding. Can't think of anything that hasn't been not only covered but solutions offered.
Dana Hunter

5.0 out of 5 stars great advice during a difficult time, brilliant book!, 17 Sep 2011
Mrs. LH Scott Thompson (west yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding (Paperback)
During first 4 weeks of newborns life i had a lot of breast feeding problems, very sore nipples, bleeding nipples, cracked nipples, 2 bouts of mastitis, problems latching on, colic and my baby was diagnosed with reflux disorder. I saw 4 midwives and 2 lactation consultants who all told me that my latch was fine and couldn't work out why I was so sore and baby was reacting the way that she was when we put her to the breast. we wouldn't have got such a quick diagnosis of the reflux had we not recognised the symptoms from the information in in mays guide to breastfeeding. the quick diagnosis led to a very simple medication (infant gaviscon) that has improved both my childs and our lives considerably. I have also recovered unbelievably fast and prevented further mastitis infections from the info in this book. At 2 am when you are fed up and need a quick answer (sounds daft i know) i have referred to this book. hence we kept it bedside until very recently.

Its a really interesting, practical book, i strongly recomend that you read it as well as ina may gaskins spiritual midwifery Spiritual Midwifery to help squash any birth fears, it certainly helped me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Steady guiding principles throughout the book, 12 Jun 2013
This book has provided me guidance in so many aspects of breastfeeding...I am recommending it to my friends. I wish I had found it for my first baby.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bit of slow start but extremely thorough and fascinating even for those in know!, 9 April 2013
This review is from: Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding (Paperback)
A very comprehensive guide.. You will only need this one book! It is 'bible' of breastfeeding. I haven't finished it yet, but I feel sure that any problem I have it will solve.