5.0 out of 5 stars Techniques to deal with bullying that work.
Published on 3 Oct. 2006 by Mike Davies

3.0 out of 5 stars Broader social issues
Published on 10 Oct. 2008 by R. A. Richardson

3.0 out of 5 stars Broader social issues, 10 Oct. 2008
R. A. Richardson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Help! I'm Being Bullied (Paperback)
The author is a psychologist with a wealth of experience working with teenagers. She knows well and sympathetically the fears and hopes of adolescence - the longing to be respected and liked by one's peers; the dread of being isolated and rejected; the preoccupation with clothing and physical appearance; the need to be independent and to sort out problems for oneself; and the reluctance to confide in, let alone to seek help from, teachers and parents. She knows too the anxieties of parents. Half of this book is written for parents and the other half for teenagers themselves. All is consistently practical and positive and is written with a striking absence of academic jargon. Though jargon-free, the book is not simplistic or one-dimensional. On the contrary, it is scientific and holistic.

However, the book has very little to say about prejudice-related bullying. There is no reference, for example, to bullying around racism, culture and religion. Nor does the book discuss the realties of sexual bullying and harassment amongst teenagers and children; or homophobic bullying; or bullying around disability and special needs. The strategies recommended by Dr Lovegrove are not equally practical for everyone, regardless of their cultural identity, and of prevailing power relations in society more generally. So a further book is needed, one which is similarly passionate, insightful and jargon-free, but which is more aware of broader social issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Techniques to deal with bullying that work., 3 Oct. 2006
Mike Davies (Pembrokeshire, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Help! I'm Being Bullied (Paperback)
I could relate only too well to the bullying/it's only a name pull yourself together scenario. I used the ignore it and it will go away technique as well as a poor attempt at making a joke of it. Strangely enough I thought I had dealt with it quite well until I read this book. I can now see where I went wrong. I am not saying it would have been easy, but with the help of this book and support from family and friends, I feel that dealing with bullying is achievable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Immensely readable and practical, 1 Jun. 2007
J. Parry (Bristol) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Help! I'm Being Bullied (Paperback)
This book offers such good advice for adults as well as kids. Its winning formula combines a friendly writing style and clearly explained strategies for dealing with bullying. The author's academic background obviously lends weight to her approach but it's the warmth and humour shining through that make it so readable. I also think that EVERYONE would benefit from having a positive self-motto and this is the book to tell you how to go about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Survival skills for children and parents, 1 May 2007
This review is from: Help! I'm Being Bullied (Paperback)
So many articles and books on bullying are written in academic language, concentrating either on how parents should cope when they think their child is being bullied, or on strategies for children which ignore the fundamental role that parents have on forming their self-esteem. The joy of this excellent handbook is that recognises how necessary is an integral approach, and gives a multitude of practical examples and exercises for consideration. The book is written in very accessible English and the illustrations and card summarising actions to be taken are an unusual, but very practical addition.

This book should be available in every school and to every parent.

5.0 out of 5 stars a really practical and useful book, 9 May 2007
This review is from: Help! I'm Being Bullied (Paperback)
I have used this book at home with my own children and found it really insightful and helpful on a difficult subject. The themes and exercises are good for adults and children. My son found it useful too, and he now deals with bullies more successfully. We have found some of the messages and exercises are relevant in other circumstances too.

In my work life, I work with foster carers and have purchased them each a copy of this book - positive reviews from them too!

5.0 out of 5 stars R. Parry (Y7 Tutor), 1 May 2007
Ms. R. J. Parry (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Help! I'm Being Bullied (Paperback)
As an NQT in a secondary school with a new form this book has been a fantastic aid to help me (and the kids) sort out bullying. I would recommend it to other teachers as well as parents and kids! Thanks to Dr Emily Lovegrove for providing a book that has been so valuable to me!

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changing book, 29 April 2007
This review is from: Help! I'm Being Bullied (Paperback)
The reason why I have done a review on this book is because it has helped me in so many ways, I think dr Emily Lovegrove has done a great job in her book and that is why i have given this item a five star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book REVIEW, 10 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Help! I'm Being Bullied (Paperback)
I am a School Nurse and regularly deal with children who are worried about bullying. I found this book very easy to read and understand. It has a separate section for the child and adult and so helps the young person and the worried carer to work together to solve the problem. I would recommend this book to anyone who needs workable strategies that really seem to help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 1 Dec. 2014
Mrs. R. E. Jarman (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Help! I'm Being Bullied (Paperback)
Can't recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book Parents Have Been Waiting For.., 6 May 2007
This review is from: Help! I'm Being Bullied (Paperback)
This is a timely book that families everywhere will fall upon.

Dr Lovegrove uses her knowledge, experience and sensitivity to address the issues of bullying and give some real support to both adults and children.

As a parent and teacher I found it incredibly useful and I recommend it to colleagues and parents all the time.

Help! I'm Being Bullied
Help! I'm Being Bullied by Dr. Emily Lovegrove (Paperback - 4 Sept. 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01