5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful and witty
This was a hilarious and heart-warming read. I have never seen anything like it. These characters will stay with you for a long time to come.They are alive far beyond the pages of the novel. They aren't just credible, they are REAL. There is a quiet wisdom about the book that makes you relfect even as you laugh...
Published on 28 Jan 2008 by Sudhanshu Palsule

1.0 out of 5 stars An irritating read
In brief this book is a thoroughly disappointing waste of time and money. Author should do better.

Published on 30 Aug 2010 by Riddler

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful and witty, 28 Jan 2008

1.0 out of 5 stars An irritating read, 30 Aug 2010
Riddler (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews

The characters were okay, quite real in fact but not nearly enough time was spent on each of them to make me really care. However, the most irritating thing about this book was the way that it regularly lurched from deep and meaningful subject matters (such as arranged marriages and relationship melt downs)to utter farce in the space of half a page. What is this book supposed to be? The author certainly doesn't know, so what chance does the poor reader stand?

At what point does a highly intellectual, intelligent woman decide that the best way to deal with an elderly customer dying in the middle of her shop is to dress her up in a wig and stick her in the shop window?!! How ridiculous can it get?

The second biggest irritant was the use of 1940's style cockney slang for an elderly Cambridge lady. It wasn't believable.

This book feels like it was written in a hurry. No thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars a giggle, 6 Dec 2007
This review is from: The Cambridge Curry Club (Paperback)
This book is great fun and made me laugh out loud. An excellent and heart-warming poke at Asian prejudices.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cambridge's answer to Brick Lane, 31 Oct 2004
By A Customer
I bought this book because I heard it mentioned on local radio and thought it sounded fun.The characters are likable but not a lot happens really. I also found that the author used so many descriptions of local routes and places that I got picky about this display of knowledge. For instance she referred several times to the Sixth Form College. Yet there are two free standing sixth form colleges in Cambridge with very definite identities and a local would say 'he went to Hills Rd' or 'Long Road'. But this is just me being picky. I would certainly read the author's next book but would hope for some more plot to support the excellent characterisation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of Chuckles, 3 Aug 2007
kehs (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This was a laugh out loud book for me. Not a cook book at all as the title might suggest, , but one set in a charity shop in Cambridge and filled with wonderful characters. I can't remember the last time a book made me chuckle so much. A perfect read for anyone who works in, or frequents charity shops, as you are sure to recognise at least one or two storylines.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising Delight, 6 Oct 2004
By A Customer
I bought this book in error but once it had been delivered I thought that I may as well read it (I'd paid for it)and was pleased that I did. Despite a tell-you-nothing-about-it title and a drab cover, the words within are delightful. Ms Balsari is obviously well educated, intelligent and gifted (and judging from the photo, she's fit as well!). Although the action concerns mainly characters of Asian descent, this is a book that can easily be enjoyed by anyone since the people in it are like people we all know and their lives and problems are universal. Be you young or old, male or female, Asian or White,I encourage you to curl up with this novel and be sucked into the pages. You won't be sorry.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful., 30 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Cambridge Curry Club (Paperback)
Dreadful book. No one from my book club enjoyed it and we all come from Cambs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Curry Club, 15 July 2010
This review is from: The Cambridge Curry Club (Paperback)
Simply badly written rubbish. How this made it to the shelves I don't know. I couldn't finish it. Rambling, dull and lacking any point at all. I wouldn't even give it to the Mill Road Amnesty Book Shop.

The Cambridge Curry Club
The Cambridge Curry Club by Saumya Balsari (Paperback - 13 Dec 2007)