5.0 out of 5 stars Trick or Treat? Trick please...
... because the Treat will make me fatter!

This book is BRILLIANT - I highly recommend it! I read this book after 'The Sugar Fix' and before I read 'The Diet Delusion'. I am glad I read these books in this order as I think the level of detail/complexity in each book follows this order (Hope that makes sense).

After reading this book you will have a...
Published on 2 July 2011 by A. Parsons

3.0 out of 5 stars A curate's egg
So far the reviews here are from enthusiasts, and a few detractors with unconvincing arguments. I thought I'd try to bring some balance.

Published on 2 Jun 2012 by A Reader

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another very Good book on the ''Healthy Diet'' we are told to eat !, 26 Mar 2009
This review is from: Trick and Treat: How Healthy Eating is Making Us Ill (Paperback)
This is a great book analysing the 'healthy diet' that we are advised to eat daily - eg. 5 fruit/veg a day, milk, bread etc... and how in actual fact it, if carried out, it can be bad for you.
It is good just like his older book (eat fat get thin) which looked at Low-carb. This book looks at the whole diet, sorry i meant 'healthy diet', and how it is told and shown to us (the food pyramid).
Excellent book, I'm now going to buy his Fluoride Book - which I'm not looking forward to as I drink quite alot of water daily!
Its like his older book not overly scientific but readable for the average person, lots and lots of research has gone in to it and in some areas it does shock you. A great read, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, 4 Nov 2008
Not just a book on what to eat. Its much broader than that encompassing a run down on why the new low fat diet is in fact so bad for us and explains how the Health Industry, in the interests of profits, is so keen to push this diet and moreover ensure we stay ill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Illuminating read, 10 Feb 2010
L. Chattam "Lilac" (Fareham, Hampshire) - See all my reviews
I have had this book for just over a week and it is an extremely interesting read with just one or two bits that require a second read to comprehend. Overall it continues to produce 'light bulb' moments in each chapter. As a retired lady who has been dieting for over 40 years with little success and feeling nutritionally deprived and hungry for the best part of those years I see how I have been led up the garden path with incorrect advice given by medical professionals. I have always been anti medication where possible and fell out with my doctor recently as she was insistent that I took statins for a cholesterol level of 5.5 which I did not think necessary and believed that I was being coerced for reasons of 'targets' in the practice. After one visit when I felt I was being bullied I changed GPs. As previous reviewers stated I think this book should be compulsory reading for all doctors and I most certainly believe that the pharmaceutical companies are in the business of putting profit before health.

The theory that animal fats are not evil and are in fact essential to good health makes perfect sense and is enlightening but after 40 years of living as fat free as possible (and still being morbidly obese) it will take a while to get my head round actually eating cream and butter.

I have ordered Barry's book 'Eat fat get thin' and hope that the menu plans can start to undo all the years of bad advice and perhaps a thinner lady will emerge.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will change your life, 6 May 2009
Mr. N. Moffatt (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
This book is not just a stunning expose of the corruption that bedevils the food industry, the drug industry and Governments, but a sound guide to healthy living.

But do not expect the obvious, and certainly none of the dangerously misguided dogma of those in power.

His 26 years of full time research into health research is compressed into this amazing book. He takes no credit in his writing style for what he offers - he is giving without indulgence. But there is more of value to your life in this book than would normally be found in ten books.

Read this book. I implore you.

I have ordered 4 copies for friends and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Food industry and drug companies exposed, 8 Sep 2009
Robert Ashmore "Healthy Sceptic" (Lancaster, UK) - See all my reviews
Barry Groves' "Trick and Treat" through acute observation,analysis and a breadth of research exposes the myths and dangers of conventional wisdom, or usually misinformation, in the frightening world of food and medicine.

Although it is a thorough analysis the book is not dull. It shows how doctors, politicians and ultimately we the consumers have been systematically tricked to serve the greed of multinational companies. We have been hoodwinked into bad eating sold as good and given expensive and harmful medicine which will often lead to lifetime addiction and/or irreparable damage. Thus the ever growing profits of the industries are guaranteed.

It should be compulsory reading for doctors who have practiced for more than five years and for all those with political and other decision making status in our health service.

After reading it I have felt compelled to buy copies for friends and family.

Trick and Treat: How Healthy Eating is Making Us Ill

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid critique of "healthy eating", 27 Mar 2009
anna (Ole Blighty) - See all my reviews
This is a very interesting read. Groves has written a book that complements Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories (The Diet Delusion) in that it takes some things further (e.g. looking at the role of omega 6 oils - vegetable oils - in modern diseases) and is far more accessible to the layperson.

4 stars only because I wish the index was more comprehensive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking ideas; Groves' plan is the best way to lose fat, 1 Jun 2009
A. Wood (Baden-Württemberg) - See all my reviews
Having read and greatly enjoyed "Natural Health and Weight Loss" in May 2007, I had to buy this book. Mr Groves has a very entertaining and readable writing style and, whether you agree with everything he says or not, he says it so well that his books are always a pleasure to read. (Which is certainly not true of all books on health and nutrition...).
As I can personally testify that the Barry Groves' weight-loss plan works, having successfully lost 5 kilos (twice!!!) using his tips, and can personally testify that eating this way has given me more energy and has enabled me (with a couple of blips at Christmas - I blame German "Stollen" and German beer!!!) to either lose weight, or maintain my weight, for the past two-and-a-half years, I was curious to read what he had to say about health care in general.
What he tells his readers is pretty scary: how cancer screening is generally a waste of time; how various procedures to detect cancer probably cause more cancer than they prevent; how doctors in the UK are paid bonuses to bring down cholesterol levels amongst their patients. I could go on, but the best thing would be for you to read the book for yourself.
I personally found the book enlightening, although some passages are also more or less identical to some in "Natural Health and Weight Loss", which I found a little annoying, feeling that I was being "diddled", because I had already paid good money to read this stuff before.
Towards the end of the book, however, I found his theories less and less plausible, as he really starts to get into the area of conspiracy theories: "Big Pharma are out to deliberately ruin our health for the sake of profit". Now, while I believe that the dynamics of capitalism and the profit motive are such that Big Pharma has no option but to relentlessly seek ever bigger profits, I do not believe that all the people who work in these companies are driven by the motive to destroy the health of the people for whom they create their drugs. Those working for Big Pharma are seriously misguided and have been doubtlessly also been duped by the low-fat mantra that has been repeated ad nauseam since the 1970s, but I do not believe that these companies are populated by evil demons, whose sole aim is to kill people. This is what comes across towards the end of the book and this went a bit far for my taste.
However, his overall aim is to convince his readers to take their own health into their own hands: this is to be applauded. By reading a little, whether in books or on the internet, using internet forums to consult with like-minded and knowledgeable people, you can do a lot to empower yourself when faced with a doctor, or other medical professional, who wants you to follow a course of action or drugs that you feel uncomfortable about. If you have armed yourself with knowledge in advance, using today's modern technologies, you will be far better placed not only to understand what the doctor wants you to do, but also in a far better position to refuse to do what he or she recommends. You will feel empowered instead of helpless. This is what Barry Groves hopes his readers will achieve for themselves.
All in all, I can recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking!, 4 Sep 2011
I thought I was a healthy 50 year old. Relatively fit (walk everywhere!), good weight, have been on a low fat diet for years, never use salt and very little sugar and do not smoke. So was so surprised to find I had hypertension. This book makes total sense to me and have I now adapted to the high fat low carb diet. Within a couple of weeks, blood pressure is now normal and I have been able to cut down on medication! (Also use apple cider vinegar and coconut oil, which is lovely.) This book is definatley a life changer, just wish the "Low fat/low salt" pushers out there would read it!

3.0 out of 5 stars A curate's egg, 2 Jun 2012

I read this book straight after "Why we get fat" by Gary Taubes, because I wanted to read more about the idea that saturated fats are good for us and carbohydrates are not. Barry Grove's book adds further support to that idea, while also extending the theme into other areas of diet and life (e.g. salt, sunlight) and examining the effects of high-carb diets on other areas of health, such as hypothyroidism and epilepsy.

At its best the book offers fascinating details of how our bodies interact with the foods we eat, and the discussion of milk, bran etc had me walking around the supermarket last week eying much of what was on offer with deep suspicion.

But the price we pay for having such a widespread discussion in a 400ish page book is that the arguments are not put forward with sufficient account of the evidence to be wholly convincing. This seems to suit Mr Groves' style. Time and again he makes an assertion, and an endnote number leads you to the list of references at the back of the book. Some of the references are to presumbably peer-reviewed articles, some are newspaper articles or other sources. Anyone who has read e.g. Ben Goldacre's "Bad Science" will be rightly reluctant to take these articles, and Mr Groves' account of their conclusions, at face value. We are generally told little of the samples, the control group, or even the conclusions as reported by the authors themselves.

At the risk of this sounding like it is a personal attack (it isn't - I'm really quite sympathetic to the arguments in the book and would love to see conclusive evidence for them) I think these defects in the book arise from:

1) Barry Groves' apparent lack of medical/scientific training. A short "About the author" at the back makes no reference to his having any medical or other qualifications (though I've read online that he is an electronic engineer). While he clearly knows a lot about the subject, I suspect that such training may have given him a more balanced approach. [Update: I've since read an online article which mentioned that he had a doctorate in nutritional science, but didn't say where it was from, and if true it's surprising he didn't mention it in the book.]
2) His apparent emotional investment in his core argument - the early chapters are the most offputting, where Mr Groves essentially accuses almost everyone who disagrees with him of bad faith. His frustration is understandable, but the combative approach makes me suspect that he is likely to be more sympathetic to evidence which he can add to his armoury than evidence which goes the other way. The fact that he has been arguing these general themes since the 1960s does not give me faith in his open-mindedness.
3) His wide-ranging scepticism - Mr Groves is a very energetic man, who apparently wins world archery competitions "for relaxation". He seems above all to delight in arguing against scientific consensus. I see from his blog that he also writes as a global warming sceptic. But as a reader, while being told that something you've always believed is untrue may be genuinely revelatory, a dozen revelations down the line you feel a new scepticism of your own creeping in.

So overall, I would say this book is excellent in the breadth of questions it raises, with some very compelling arguments, but I would not rely on Barry Groves alone to provide the answers. While I haven't read "Wheat Belly" yet, I suspect the best book on this subject is yet to be written.

4.0 out of 5 stars Trick & Treat by Barry Groves, 12 Mar 2012
Your Trick & Treat by Barry Groves exposes the 'Healthy Eating' 5 a Day dieting fad for what it is - misguided.

It cogently lays-out an evidence-based case for our returning to the eating habits of our ancestors.

It also high-lights evidence to explain the recent development of many epidemic conditions, as existing today.

It focuses attention on how the food manufacturing industry prepares the way for our mistakenly needing the

expanding use of pharmaceuticals. A 'must read' for the health valuer.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

Trick and Treat: How Healthy Eating is Making Us Ill
Trick and Treat: How Healthy Eating is Making Us Ill by Barry Groves (Paperback - 30 Oct 2008)