5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring
Published 20 months ago by astroboy

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing Not for people with multiple allergies
I am considering sending this book back. The positives are it is very attractive and well laid out. The negatives- if you are ALLERGIC to egg, milk and wheat there are no recipes here for you. I had hoped for a cake book to compliment the excellent Alice Sherwood book.
Published 9 months ago by B. Magowan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 22 Dec 2012
This review is from: Gluten-, Nut-, Egg- & Dairy-Free Celebration Cakes: 42 Simple and Delicious Recipes for Bakers and Cake Decorators (Hardcover)
I just purchased this book for my aunt who recently became intolerant to gluten and wheat and who loves to bake and decorate cakes, until now she has been unable to replicate the sort of cakes she used to make for her family without them tasting or looking different. She is delighted with the book, it is simple to understand and explains everything really well, and she made me a delicious carrot cake when we went over there and I couldn't tell the difference !

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 2 July 2013
This book doesn't just do what it says on the cover, it contains so much more. I purchased this book hoping to find good recipes for cakes that catered to specific dietary requirements and as well as my hopes being satisfied I found an abundance of information including several biscuit recipes and a plethora of tips for decorating and presenting your cakes in ways that respect allergy and dietary needs. Thank you so much Gemma McFarlane, this is the perfect book for anyone looking into allergy conscious baking!

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing Not for people with multiple allergies, 21 Nov 2013
B. Magowan (uk) - See all my reviews
I am also not so sure that allergies and intollerances are the same thing. There is no mention of it being medically approved or checked for accuracy.
If you have one allergy or intollerance this book may be for you but it is no good if you have multiple food allergies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gluten free and other allergy related baking, 17 Jun 2013
The book arrived promptly and in excellent condition. I have flicked through the book on a number of occasions, and am really pleased to have added this invaluable book to my collection. It is really comprehensive and well written, with clear cross referencing. I will learn a lot, and also feel completely confident about producing cakes for clients who are intolerant to various items of food. Excellent book - I rate this one very highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars dietery cakes, 28 May 2013
I was pleasantly surprised how many delicious looking cakes there are in this book
I know people with food allergies who often ask me to bake them special cakes so i look forward to trying out these recipes

5.0 out of 5 stars Gluter Nut Egg & Dairy Free Celebration Cakes, 14 April 2013
This is a very informative book and tells you a lot about different allergies and what to look out for on bought items for cakes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gluten free, 8 April 2013
this book is excellent a very good infomative book covering a lot of cakes, I have tried a few,excellent results

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for when you need somthing special, 1 April 2013
ED Mann "Sewflakes" (Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
I have started to be asked for different cakes and normally google what is needed but this book ticks all the box's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Covers all the bases (and cakes!), 24 Dec 2012
J. Bonner (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The first part of this book gives invaluable and in-depth advice about how to bake for people with food allergies and intolerances, including how to avoid cross-contamination, hidden ingredients and which are suitable for each type of diet. Unlike the previous reviewer, I don't think the book claims to cover all bases in one. I never for one second thought that I'd find recipes that were gluten-free AND nut-free AND egg-free AND dairy-free. I think that is almost impossible to achieve and I certainly wouldn't mark the author down for this. As a vegan, I know I can adapt a dairy-free recipe to exclude eggs and someone who doesn't eat gluten could make similar substitutions with the readily-available gluten-free flour that's available.

All the basic types of cake someone might be asked to produce are there (vanilla sponge, fruit cake, carrot cake, coffee & walnut etc) and there are charts for the more popular cakes that give quantities for different sizes. Revelations for me were the American frosting, which can be used to give a similar effect to covering a cake in royal icing and the vegan versions of different modelling pastes. Even better, as someone who hates marzipan, there's a nut-free alternative (though I'll be using vanilla essence as the flavouring!). There are very useful step-by-step photos to illustrate how to crumb-coat a cake, how to cover a cake with sugarpaste etc.

The last part of the book has projects, including innovative decorated biscuits, individual mini cakes and stunning wedding cakes. Finally, there are charts showing you which manufacturers' products are suitable for which diet (helpful, but readers would still need to check carefully in case a product's ingredients change).

I had a couple of questions and contacted the author through her website. She responded very promptly and gave me the answers I was looking for, so hats off to her for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Jun 2014
Great book, good recipes and decorating tips

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›