‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful book, 18 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Animation in Sugar: 14 Beautifully Hand-crafted Modelling Projects for Celebration Cakes (Hardcover)
I have many 'how to' sugarcraft books, you know the type, flowers, models, cake finishes and etc. This book however is the first that has left me in absolute awe of the beauty of the models created. The instructions for each model/project are easy to follow with enough photos of the different stages of the model making. Another plus is that as well as the projects, the book offers cake, biscuit and fillings recipes.

The only downside to this book I have found is that it leaves you wanting more. I can't wait for the author to publish another.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for the bookshelf of any serious or aspiring sugarcrafter!, 30 Mar. 2015
I'm a huge fan of Carlos' work and distinctive modelling style, and was thrilled to receive this beautiful book for my birthday last year. Not only does the book look gorgeous; it is very instructive and the step-by-step guide to his projects are very detailed with plenty of pictures to illustrate the steps. The projects are varied and there are plenty of techniques suggested that can be used to apply to your own work and develop your own style too. The introductory chapter on basic principles is also very helpful. In my view this is the best and most inspirational sugarcraft figure modelling book currently on the market; I've put my order in for his second book (out now) and can't wait to get my hands on this latest work!

I'm quite an experienced sugarcrafter and found the projects and instructions to be pitched just right for me; I think the book has sufficient clear instructions to still be suitable for someone with less experience, although you will probably need to read all of the background techniques and tips rather than dive straight into a project. It certainly takes you far beyond beginner level and onto more advanced essential modelling, such as achieving different facial expressions, alternative styles for different types of cake project, etc. A must for the bookshelf of any serious sugarcrafter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Beautiful!, 2 Mar. 2013
I was totally drawn to the picture on the cover of this book as the woodland fairy is just so special.

The book itself is an absolute delight with some stunning modelling by Carlos - whether I can ever hope to turn out anything that looks that breathtaking is another matter........

However, that said, the book is well laid out with equipment guides, good explanations, recipes and lots of 'Tutor's Tips' to assist you. Each modelling project pictured is all done step by step with pictures and well written instructions.

Carlos is a very talented chap, and so is his brother who comes up with the ideas and drawings for many of the projects. He also is the photographer for the book. Their mum must be very proud of having such artistic sons.

I would recommend this book to all as being inspirational. The attention to detail is amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 16 Nov. 2012
I had already seen some of the characters that Carlos has done and his work is wonderful so when I heard he was bringing out a book I just had to get it and I'm really glad that I did. I just love the characters and was pleased to get a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Artistic creations, 7 Jan. 2013
Barbara Salt (England) - See all my reviews
This book is really helpful in making delicate creations for fantasy figures, very much like Avitar creatures.
Wonderful just to see how they are made.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book with great tips, 12 Oct. 2012
This is a great book to have in your collection for any sugar artist, whether you are a beginner or an established professional. Very well written, with step by step illustrations and great tips! So proud to have this in my collection!! Cannot wait to have a go at the projects given there, and also there is a lot of inspiration for different projects!

5.0 out of 5 stars Animation in Sugar, 29 Nov. 2012
Absolutely gorgeous book I love it! Such wonderful characters in this book can hardly wait to try a few of them. The recipes look delicious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book, 24 April 2013
Paul A. Wills "Paul" (Uk) - See all my reviews
Purchased this based on other reviews and while it wasn't the cheapest book it is now apparent why. I must say that for its content and clearly written instructions etc it is worth every penny and in many respects it is a bargain. The subject matter is not only unique and beautifully photographed it is clearly detailed in every aspect and has allowed me to recreate some of the examples almost identically.

If your into sugar craft then buy this, you wont regret it. I look forward to future publications from this Author 10 out of 10

Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 9 Nov. 2013
V. Butler "VB Bear" (SUNDERLAND, TYNE & WEAR GREAT BRITAIN) - See all my reviews
Wow! Absolutely astounding creations - with fantastic photographic step by step instruction on how to recreate them.

Intricate details, well recorded in pictures so you can create masterpieces on your own cakes, outstandingly generous in the time taken to instruct and guide pupils on how to create amazing designs, out of the box creations. It must be amazing to attend one of his classes in person! This is the next best thing, recommend it for advanced techniques, illustrated brilliantly step by step, for out of the ordinary cake designs.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... book and the second one presuming it would be like others I have and couldn't possibly teach me anything ..., 13 May 2015
I resisted getting this book and the second one presuming it would be like others I have and couldn't possibly teach me anything I didn't already know having been in the industry for 8yrs. How wrong I was. This is a fabulous and well presented book, professional and full of brilliantly constructed figures that inspire solve many of the problems that modelling with sugar can present. The weight of paste can reduce the possibilities but this book does solve many issues for the sugar paste artist. Worth every penny and only wish I'd bought it sooner!

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›