5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book
I recently purchased this latest book from Debbie Brown and I was not disappointed!! It is a fantastic book, with very adaptable ideas for many different occasions not just christenings or baby cakes!! Well done Debbie.

Published on 7 Oct 2011 by Carol the Cake Lady

3.0 out of 5 stars baby cakes
loved the illusrations but thought the actual construction of some of the fondant models could have been a little more detailed, but gained some great idea's for future cake making.
Published on 3 Mar 2012 by babies

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 7 Oct 2011
This review is from: Debbie Brown's Baby Cakes: Adorable Cakes for Christenings, Birthdays and Baby Showers (Hardcover)

The book is very easy to follow and even the newest of cake decoraters would be able to make an acceptable cake!! The pictures are very clear and the writing details is very easy to follow too!

A welcome addition to my now very large collection of Debbie Brown books - an amazingly talented Lady who shares her gift!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book by the master, 21 Sep 2011
Debbie has written a truly wonderful book and as a enthusiastic sugarcrafter and occasional student of hers, I highly recommend it. I can't see how anyone, whether beginners or seasoned cake makers, would fault this book, nor how any child, mum, dad or friend would not be completely enchanted at by receiving one of those cakes at a baby shower or birthday. The designs are fresh, effective and clean, and most have the WOW factor to please everybody at the party - a fact often overseen.

In these days of mass interest and access to sugarcraft, what is actually surprising is that Debbie's designs are really original, modern, fun and tasteful. Even after seeing thousand of cakes on the internet, you could easily think everything has been done already, but many of her ideas are really new, and even if some such as "peas in a pod" are regularly seen on American sites in particular, her version is fresh and effective and you will just want to do it when you see it. Suddenly you have a real reason to make those little round ball cakes!

Debbie has really moved on with the times too, and there's a real effort in this book, probably motivated by the love for her baby grand-daughter. Some modern techniques such as ganaching and cereal treats, often seen on TV shows, and which were not previously used in the UK much, are used extensively in the book and have injected more possibilities in the designs (e.g. baby heads which in cake would be too heavy). The book's editing is fresh and clear and the book is beautiful and modern, with the usual fair amount of pictures and explanations.

The pictures are big and clear and the execution is just immaculate. I just thought, Damn why didn't I think of that (the diaper/nappy bags) or Damn I vaguely thought of that but couldn't be bothered trying to figure out how to put it together, e.g. a pile of kittens. Lots of different skills for everyone, and as usual, all are achievable.

Also of note, are the minicakes. I usually find the suggested accompanying minicakes a complete waste of time and page filler in books, but here, they are just adorable, clever and i want to do them all because they really have a purpose and would enhance the effect of the main cake, especially considering the trend for lavish display tables full of goodies. (let's just find the customers who can pay!)

For those of you who are just starting, you will learn from the best. For mums and dads, you'll need a fair amount of dedication to make some of those cakes, but unless you want to do a hedgehog with Cadbury's Flakes or a lady bird covered in smarties, this is the book to get. Many designs are achievable with the minimum of equipment (e.g the teddies on the cover) and everything is adaptable and can be simplified. Just do one teddy if you can't manage the three. For experienced and addict cake makers, there is so much in there that you will like and want to copy.

It's very clever and made by a very talented lady. Unlike most current cake book writers who manage to squeeze one decent book of their (photoshopped) best work for us to admire, Debbie designs for us, she designs to inspire, teach and get us to arespectable result.

There is no one like Debbie Brown. She just leaves everyone else in the dust.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 21 Oct 2011
Ana (Porto, Portugal) - See all my reviews
I think this is the best work of Debbie Brown!!!
The designs are really new and modern.
The designs are not easy, so they are a little difficult for beginners, but truly amazing.
The instructions are best than her previous work.
An absolute must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book, 30 Sep 2011
This book is brilliant. I saw a picture of the cat (shown on the back cover) and knew I had to have this book. I wasn't disappointed. It tells you exactly what you need. There is extra info regarding cakes i.e preparation, levelling, recipes, coverings (ganache etc.) everything you need to know before you come to the items for the cake toppers.
The perfect amount of information (not too daunting) for making a fantastic, unique baby cake from start to finish. There are even baby shower items and mini cakes that are devine. You won't be disappointed with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous book, 25 Sep 2011
Wow! I have been looking forward to receiving this book and I am not disappointed.some wonderful designs very inspiring! My little girl sat and went through it saying "i want that one mummy and that one! " so that should tell you a lot. happy decorating : - )

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby cakes, 5 Nov 2013
An absolutely superb book. The instructions are clear and easy to follow, the cake recipes moist delicious and consistently reliable

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely pictures, 23 Aug 2013
I haven't used this book yet but is has some lovely ideas and the instructions look clear and easy to follow. I hadn't previously thought of using rice cereal cakes as a light-weight medium for making the heads of dogs and teddies etc which will give me the confidence to try these figures without thinking the heads will fall off.

5.0 out of 5 stars baby cakes by Debbie Brown., 6 April 2012
I wouldn't really have known what it is like as I paid my money in good faith as did 150 others and nobody got the book it was a monumental scam. Seller probably pocketing them around 2,000.
Have since purchased the book direct from Amazon with free delivery as I should have done in the beginning.It is one of her bestEspecially the large kittens, my favourite. Each book she does gets better and better. cant wait to incorporate some of the aspect of the designs into my own cakes.
Well Done Debbie Browm

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Inspirational !!!!, 7 Oct 2011
Well Mrs Brown you have done it again.... I was waiting to purchase this book from you at the NEC in November but I so couldn't wait any longer so I ordered it here on Amazon with a speedy delivery. Just picture it....The packaging in front of me and a nice hot vanilla coffee, silence and then....... Screeches of delight and excitement I couldn't flick through the pages any faster, as a mother of two children 12 and 10 my only regret is that I wish this book had been written 12 years ago. To be honest I would and even now, be spoilt for choice as it is full of lovely photos which are lovely and clear and the book is truly inspirational and modern using sugar-paste. I have already reserved most of the cakes for people I know, when my customers ask me for a cake my most common answer is "Leave it with me!!!" I love the fact that you Debbie Brown are there to inspire me. I have recommended this book already at my sugar craft guild group. Love it and if I could give it 6 stars I would.Debbie Brown's Baby Cakes: Adorable Cakes for Christenings, Birthdays and Baby Showers

5.0 out of 5 stars Oops...she did it again!, 22 Sep 2011
Debbie Brown excels herself each time a new book is created. The subject of this one has you already under a spell before you turn a page. Those bears on the front cover are begging you to pick up and flick through these pages. Debbie's work as always is so clean and perfect and explanations are clear and concise. Even if you are a complete beginner...or a self professed genius who doesn't NEED the book but likes to "review" it anyway...I would consider Debbie's original creations and teaching the best place to start. Perhaps not every single tiny detail is explained, but common sense will kick in and you will be sailing through the instruction with ease and be amazed at your achievements in the end. The layout of each book gets better and better and the photography is simply beautiful. Personally, I don't want to see every single tiny available space filled with words...that's called a Dictionary! This is an eye catching, colourful, creative and extremely entertaining fun filled and informative piece of work and I can only applaud the lady's hard work and skill AND patience in putting all of these pieces of art together for everyone to aspire to become sugar geniuses too...self proclaimed or otherwise! Lol! BUY it...you won't be disappointed...but you WILL be in awe!

14.41