Format: Hardcover|Change

on 16 March 2010
THIS IS SIMPLY THE BEST BOOK OUT THERE EVER ITS WORTH SOOOO MUCH MORE . EDDIE IS TURELY THE GREASTEST THE KING OF ICING THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO DESCRIBE HIM CANT WAIT TILL THE DELUXE VERSION COMES OUT . THIS BOOK IS BEAUTIFULLY PUT TOGETHER THE PHOTOS ARE BRILLIANT THOSE OF US LUCKILY ENOUGH TO HAVE MEET EDDIE CAN HEAR HIS WORDS COME TO LIFE FROM THE MANY PAGES OF THE BOOK CANT RECCOMEND IT STRONGLY ENOUGH ID GIVE IT 12 OUT OF 10 (TO QUOTE ONE OF THE MASTERS SAYING) YOU JUST CANT HELP BUT LOVE HIM..................
on 11 May 2010
As a student of sugar craft I find this book invaluable. Easy to read, wonderful photos with clear directions. A Master of his craft. This book is great for any novice or experiance cake decorator and I haven't put it down since buying it. You wont be disappointed.
on 12 May 2012
I bought this book after much searching which including reading lot of reviews and I have to say it is my favourite icing book. I like the way it takes you from a total beginner learning to pipe dots which then can turn into flowers right the way up through real intricate work. It is easy to read (often taken to bed for some light reading!!) and understand. As it progresses through the book I liked the fact that it would reference previous techniques used so you could brush up on these to either practice or refresh your memory before starting the next section. It is so good I am buying it for a friends birthday as it is just what she wants. Trade it in Amazon - no thank you.
on 22 March 2013
I personally don't think any other book comes close to the level of detail and variety of techniques that this book offers.From the basics to the most masterful skills, each lesson is beautifully laid out with photographs and clear instructions. There is a nice introduction to Eddie Spence and his history with pictures of the stunning cakes that he has done for royalty. This really is the royal icing bible and a must-have for anyone that calls themselves a cake decorator! Once you have mastered the key skills that Eddie insists upon you can adapt them to so many new and creative designs of your own. My only criticism is that it won't fit on my bookshelves!
on 19 October 2012
Eddie Spence's book contains everything you need to know about Royal Icing. When I started cake decorating I loved working with royal icing - and then sugarpaste and cutters came along. Rather than the projects being dated as one reviewer has said I would say that the book is offering excellent tution in the skills that were commomplace in cake decorating in the 70s but which are still relevant today. At the price the book is being sold for on Amazon it is excellent value and I would recommend it to anyone interested in cake decorating. Thank you Eddie for passing on your knowledge and for rekindling an interest.
on 8 August 2011
I was told about this book when doing a basic Royal Icing course. I thought it might be too advance for a beginner but was I wrong. This book is amazing and Eddie Spence guides you through the technique of royal icing starting with the basic shapes and how you can master progressing from these to producing amazing designs. I couldn't wait to get started and have produced work I thought I could never achieve or even attempt. I would thoroughly recommend this book to any cake decorator from beginner to novice.
on 16 January 2013
This is the most beautiful English Style Royal Icing book I had ever seen in my life. It is a very big book. It contains a lot of history articles and pictures since 1930's. This book is a jewel. More of what I expected in this book. Very nice explanations of the techniques in perfect words that everyone may understand. Perfect writing composition. As you may understand, for such a beautiful work Eddie Spencer has been the Queen Elizabeth the 2nd cake decorator.
on 31 March 2015
Visually, this book is stunning. The instructions are rather sparse, and certainly require the user to have a good grounding in all royal icing techniques, however for anyone looking to improve on their existing skills, it is an outstanding repository of ideas and tricks.
In an age of exciting new developments and styles in cake decorating, Eddie Spence shows us how the old ways, while taking longer to master, are still elegant and relevant.
on 26 March 2014
I read so many reviews on different books before making my purchase and I'm so glad I settled on this one. As a beginner I can see already that this is going to take me through to more advanced techniques just by following the sensible instructions and many wonderful illustrations. I am delighted with the book and with the very swift delivery. I'm looking forward to many hours of 'creating' in the kitchen.
on 21 April 2012
I can not say anymore than what the previous reviewers already have. I will say, that if you have a chance to get this book, do so. It is so beautiful and the methods precise. You may not be into this now but when you get a moment in life, this art is something you may want to experience. It takes time and patience (classical music anyone?), but you will enjoy the creations that come out of this book. Enjoy!