5.0 out of 5 stars Comical Characters

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy if offended
Published on 16 Aug. 2011 by Mary Seacole

5.0 out of 5 stars Comical Characters, 12 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Cakes with Character (Hardcover)
I bought this book after owning 2 of Maisie's smaller books and I find the characters very funny. Maisie's sugarcraft ability is amazing and although I think the expressions on the characters faces are quite tricky to copy all of the cakes in this book are fun and can be made very well even with more simplified faces etc. The little school scene is delightful and the teenage moody shopper brilliant. I recommend this book, especially to people who like me, make novelty cakes for a living.

5.0 out of 5 stars ALL YOU NEED FOR FIGURE MODELING, 20 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Cakes with Character (Hardcover)
This is my second Maisie Parrish book and I am gobsmacked. This is a one stop book for modeling - adults, children, animals, poses and many detailed project you can adapt to suit your purpose.

This book is a must for anyone - professional cake makers or mums and dads trying to create a little magic in the kitchen for their little angels special day.

I must also mention that what I particularly love about Maisie herself is that she caters for all - she models babies, to stroppy teenagers and old men sitting on the beach and all races so there truly is something in this book for everyone....

5.0 out of 5 stars cakes with character, 9 April 2009
This review is from: Cakes with Character (Hardcover)
One of the best books in my collection. I like the designs, intructions (which are good) and pictures. Have made some and found it easy to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 1 Feb. 2010
A. Keny - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cakes with Character (Hardcover)
Lovely clear book - nice clear instructions and not too hard to follow. Masie's books are always good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and beautifully illustrated, 12 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Cakes with Character (Hardcover)
Super looking book. Clear instructions with beautiful pictures. Would be a great present for anyone who has recently taken an interest in cake decorating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 6 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Cakes with Character (Hardcover)
My cake decorating skills are constantly being tested in different directions. This book has taken away the fear of new demands and given me the impetus to branch out in new areas. Very clear pictures and instructions, and great ideas. My most used book of the moment - and I have a few!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic but not for a novice, 24 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Cakes with Character (Hardcover)
This book is fantastic, some excellent ideas really unique but not really suitable for a beginner as the cakes are quite detailed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 31 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Cakes with Character (Hardcover)
Like all of Maisie's books good clear instructions to follow with fantastic pictures. This book is suitable for total beginners as well the more experienced.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy if offended, 16 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Cakes with Character (Hardcover)
I bought this book based on the reviews above. The problem for me with this is the way it portrays the black characters. I found the 'Oh Happy Day' wedding cake bordering on the offensive, with the models representing old style caricatures of the way blacks were portrayed in the past. Also, if this silly woman had bothered to do her research properly, she would have discovered that 'jumping the broom' originates from the American Deep South, and not African as she has stated. There is a vast difference between the two continents. I would counsel anyone making this cake or the ballet one for a black person, as you may find you'll most probably get a response you won't expect.

Cakes with Character
Cakes with Character by Maisie Parrish (Hardcover - 17 Mar. 2006)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available