5.0 out of 5 stars Verne's most thrilling novel
This book proves Verne's greatness as a writer of fiction. The science in this science fiction flies largely in the face of modern science, yet the read is no less gripping today than it was in its infancy. The story is pretty simple. Professor Lidenbrock, a neurotically impatient scientist, discovers a cryptic manuscript written by a long-dead explorer; with the help...
Published on 30 Nov 2002 by Daniel Jolley

3.0 out of 5 stars I preferred "Around The World in 80 Days"
Sorry but I found this story a bit too long and too far fetched for my full enjoyment, but that might just be me. I really enjoyed and was entertained by "Around The World In Eighty Days". Without a doubt Jules Verne was ahead of his time in terms of his writing and foresight.
Published 9 months ago by SMPEC

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 5 Dec 1999
By A Customer
This is one of the best books I have ever read. The book is about a young man who has a crazy uncle who reads about a man called Arne Saknussemm who says he has been to the centre of the earth.(His uncle had read about this man because he had found a secret message inside an Icelandic book that was written in Icelandic.) Then they try to follow his trail. It is very exciting.

4.0 out of 5 stars A unique classic, 6 July 2014
Axel cracks the code to a runic manuscript which reveals that its author has found a passage to the centre of the Earth. Professor Lidenbrock, his nephew Axel and their guide Hans descend the volcano in hopes of scientific discovery.

To me the idea the idea of a “classic” that was a science-fiction book seemed almost oxymoronic. Nonetheless, I was drawn in by the concept and Verne did not disappoint with interesting ideas way ahead of his time. The discovery of an ocean so far below that had a tide and of prehistoric animals was very interesting and I enjoyed the explanations and discussions about these findings. The way that Lindenbrock and Axel would argue and debate their findings made it easier to understand for the reader.

For me its main downfall was the focus on geology. Whilst Verne clearly has a strong knowledge of the discipline I couldn’t follow some of these sections. I couldn’t determine whether the basis of the ideas was sound or meant to be fiction.

This book was unlike any other classic I’ve read so far and was a truly curious and remarkable concept.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic read, 1 July 2014
classic

5.0 out of 5 stars I am very pleased with this purchase, and I think that it is worthy of my assessment of the highest rating., 22 Jun 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting book, 6 April 2014
I was hesitant about reading a classic as a reluctant reader all my life. I love the imagination involved and picturing the story and it's curiosities as I read. Although I read this as an adult, I would have loved to have heard this as a child. I understand why it is a classic =]

5.0 out of 5 stars not read yet, 28 Mar 2014
I have not read this book yet so I cannot comment on it if it is anything like his mystery island it will be good

5.0 out of 5 stars Jules Verne classic is a triumph, 3 Mar 2014
A detailed journey to Iceland with an irritable professor begins the remarkable tale of a journey deep into the Earth. While they do not actually reach the core (this is before the discovery of Unobtanium, remember), the travellers have many adventures and extraordinary discoveries reflecting the state of geological knowledge and speculation at the time that Jules Verne wrote. Along the way they learn much about themselves and their companions as well. A masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oldies still the best !!!, 16 Oct 2013
Classic. It was great to re-read and enjoy. Almost 150 years on it still had the suspense and wonder of adventure and was an easy going enjoyable read. Would recommend

3.0 out of 5 stars I preferred "Around The World in 80 Days", 22 Sep 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Good purchase, 3 Sep 2013
No problems with purchase and although we all know the story and have probably seen the film it's far better as a book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

Journey to the Centre of the Earth (Graffex)
Journey to the Centre of the Earth (Graffex) by Fiona MacDonald (Paperback - 1 May 2007)
9.62