5.0 out of 5 stars liberating and enlightening
Published on 8 Aug 2006 by Simon

2.0 out of 5 stars naive is maybe a bit kind..
This book looks quite convincing and scientific but so many times the "evidence" is selective,particularly absences of proof are taken as proof of absence (eg of aggression in paleolithic people) and it becomes extremely misleading. People may decry religion and patriarchy but it has been all ideologies (including religion and patriarchy) that have caused the great...
Published on 8 Jun 2010 by Silver Moon Sailor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars liberating and enlightening, 8 Aug 2006
Simon "jones" (sydney, australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fall: The Insanity of the Ego in Human History and the Dawning of a New Era (Paperback)
I bought this book after reading Eckhart Tolle's endorsement: "A fascinating and important book on the origin, development and the imminent demise of the ego...Highly readable and enlightening, as the author's acute mind is imbued with the higher faculty of spiritual awareness." Eckhart Tolle's books have changed my life so I was sure this book would be important for me too, and haven't been wrong. I've read it through over the last three days and feel also though my whole outlook on the world has been altered. This book is a complete revisioning of human history from a spiritual point of view, seeing human history in terms of the development of the ego, looking at how the ego has given rise to thousands of years of violence and oppression. Taylor looks in turn at warfare, male domination, social inequality, alienation from the body, abuse of the natural world and so on, showing how the over-developed sense of ego produces these problems.

The book makes the important point - using a massive range of research - that earlier human beings and many of the world's native peoples - did not have our strong sense of self or ego and so were free from all of this disorder. The book's depiction of how the insanity of so much human behaviour is produced by the ego is riveting and extremely impressive. After reading this there is no way you can look at "normal" human behaviour in the same way. Taylor makes it absolutely clear that what we consider as normal is, in many ways, insane. And just as impressively, Taylor puts together an extremely good case for the idea that we are beginning to transcend the insanity of the ego and moving into a new era. This is one of those books which makes you look at the world in a new light, and gives you inspiration and hope for the future. Somehow it gives me the inspiration to try to fight for a better world, to contribute to the collective change which is taking place, and rekindle the state of harmony which the human race has lost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and compelling, 13 Jun 2009
This is in my view a well written and informative treatise on social history.Most of the evidence for the fall from a "golden age" is speculative but convincing all the same. The book is very readable and well laid out and contains some fascinating facts.For the most part the book covers the history of mankind from a spiritual standpoint without being too dreamy and utopian.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book with a vast scope, 6 Mar 2007
This book is amazing - a review of human history over thousands of years and looking into the future as well - it has a vast scope. But most of all it has a powerful spiritual perspective, looking at how the human mind (the over-developed ego as the author calls it) has given birth to most of our problems in history and in terms of our own psychology. For the last 6000 years human life has been full of suffering - but now, according to the this book, we may be moving into a new evolutionary phase, in which we are beginning to transcend our insanity and the social and psychological problems which come from it. I saw this book recommended on Eckhart Tolle's website, and have not been disappointed. A powerful combination of history, psychology and spirtuality.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-changing read, 2 Feb 2008
Paul Francis "paulfrancis" (Lancaster, UK) - See all my reviews
This is one of the very best books that I have ever read. Whilst I don't always agree with everything he says, and there is a sense at times that he is selecting the evidence to fit his theories, the overall arguments of the book just feel profoundly right. It is like having something confirmed that you knew was right at some deep, almost unconscious level. The world seems very different afterwards. Fantastic stuff, and hugely readable. A must-read book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bring On a New Age of Sanity!, 10 Sep 2010
Maddy T (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Have the majority of human beings departed from their sanity? According to Steve Taylor that is possibly the case, and he reckons we can pinpoint when our crazy train left, and which station it departed from, and why!

Steve puts forward a well researched academic theory in a friendly and easy going style accessible to anyone.

He challenges the traditional scientific criteria that has been used to mark the "progress" and "evolution" of the human psyche. This book gave me a different way of viewing the "evolution" of our minds, and what we view as "normal" human behaviour.

I couldn't give it the full 5 stars because at times for me it just felt like the balance of evidence had been just a little too artificially tilted in favour of the theory...but hey, I have no expertise in the areas Steve explores, so I'm just going by a gut feel here.

Anyhow, the importance of what the book is trying to say reaches far deeper than the need for a watertight and totally unbiased theory! For me, it is more about whether we should just accept what the scientists tell us about ourselves, or whether we should be challenging these scientific "truths" so we can break out of this highly destructive and life threatening lethargy the human race seems to have fallen into.

5.0 out of 5 stars no need to read anything else!, 14 Dec 2010
V. Mckenna "balancedway" (scotland) - See all my reviews
There is nothing to add to the reviews already written but I do want to add to the amount of well deserved praise directed at the author! Steve Taylor has put into words--so eloquently--all that I have been thinking over the past several years. Life energy manifests as our changing universe and the Ego was developed to cope with that state of change. Unfortunately a sense of seperation arose, fear followed and the Ego , feeling unable/inadequate to cope, developed all sorts of strategies to protect itself --attempts to cling to a sense of safety. As time went by, historically this evolved into the Ego domination of most of the planet --what Taylor calls the Fallen state. And war is the major manifestation of this Ego evolution --nations warring against each other , men warring against women, peoples warring against mother earth. The solution to this sorry state is to choose to align with the energy of the pre fall state --we are evolving towards that as seen in the waves of spiritual growth and teachers such as the Buddha and Lao Tsu. He suggests this process is now speeding up and leaves the reader feeling hopeful and empowered--we can choose to let go of the inflexible crazy Ego and instead live without fear --tolerant of each other, open, sane and healed. Its up to us.

My wish is that this book becomes a text book available in secondary schools --a marvellous opportunity for young people to absorb positive, compassionate values. Vicki Mckenna author of "A Balanced Way of Living;Practical and Holistic Strategies for Coping with Post Polio Syndrome"

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fall, 5 July 2010
A very profound read. The history and philosophy are essential for understanding the psycholgy of the human condition.

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good book but.........., 30 Jan 2013
The basic concept I believe is valid and I really enjoyed reading the authors ideas.... but the downside is that they are not all of the authors ideas. There are far too many quotes referring to other people's work and not enough of Steve's own thoughts, research and words. Nevertheless I would recommend this book as it is very thought proving to say the least.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fall, 27 Dec 2011
This is a very well researched book that gives a cogent argument for why the peoples on this planet have been at war for the last 8,000 years. It also explains why women and children have been treated like second class citizens. And why nature has been seen as something that should be exploited however bad the future consequences are for us all.

Despite all that, it nevertheless gives hope for a better war-free future which the author states could be as soon as the next few hundred years. That is if the ego doesn't destroy everything before then.

This book has the potential to speed us towards that state if enough people read it. It therefore has a potential to be one of the most influencial books of all time.

4.0 out of 5 stars An ego-busting page-turner, 26 Feb 2010
Steve Taylor knows how to keep his readers hooked in spite of the many quotes and historical references in this oterhwise compelling read.

The basic premise - that the birth of the 'ego' in human consciousness brought forth a host of unwanted consequences such as wars, selfishness, angst and separation from nature - is supported by not only history but our own sense of inadequacy and alienation but by the way humans relate to their own bodies and their surrounding environment. While Taylor could be accused by Wilberians of falling into the 'pre-trans fallacy', his book serves as a reminder of how stages of consciousness cut across our social, psychological and spiritual lives.

Deserves to be read.