on 14 August 2012
Not the usual "I was born in Croydon and my dad was a builder" autobiography: Derren Brown starts from a card trick he is performing and starts meandering through whichever connection crosses his mind. So we find out what is Derren Brown's etiquette for what concerns elevators, we get to know what he thinks about organised religions, we discover how he got interested in magic... To be honest this is not a "proper" autobiography. We don't get to read his personal opinion on many topics that a more "normal" autobiography would cover. Is this Derren Brown's newest, smartest trick, a long "autobiography" only touching the less personal, less intimate side of the subject? Anyway, I'd have read more.
on 23 April 2015
good book for reading
on 20 January 2013
I really wanted to like this. I'd read and enjoyed Derrens first book and was disappointed to discover Confessions of a Conjuror is really heavy going. (for me, anyway). Derren's style of writing is very wordy and 'literary', and while that's not a bad thing of its self, it doesn't make for an easy read. I did struggle to see the points he was making and felt they could have been illustrated more succinctly! I'm ashamed to say I gave up at 40%(kindle).
I feel bad giving this a doubtful review, as I think Derren is fabulous and never miss his shows. Please don't let this put you off, but if you have a Kindle, request a sample first!
on 20 December 2011
I have enjoyed his previous books and, indeed, have secretly envied his writing style.

Whilst there are some fine psychological insights here they are few and far between. The majority is a uniquely tedious account of a card trick and unrelated, often self-indulgent, minutiae that seem to have popped into the bearded imp's stream of consciousness as he tries to conjur up another best-selling book. After the first few pages I assumed it was another one of his naughty tricks and he was trying to put the reader into a trance using the boredom method. I managed to keep my eyes open to the end but it wasn't much fun.
on 31 December 2010
At first I thought the constant rambling style at the start of the book was a barrier to entry designed to weed out the less enthuiastic readers for the inevitable treasures that lay ahead. However with further reading the rambling about his childed OCD didnt stop. If you want to read about Derren's obsessive childhood traits read this. Interested in magic, hypnosis, misdirection etc? Read Tricks of the Mind it is much better.
on 13 November 2013
IThis book is a sort of bigography, it takes place as Derren is working as an entertainer at a bar, he is explaining the scene. This description goes of at tangents to involve other stories from the past, i liked this idea of flipping between the present (him being in the bar) and the past but i am afraid the stories he tells are not very interesting. he is very detailed about things i am not really that bothered about for example he goes into a lot of detail about how he trims his toe nails. Not my idea of a gripping read.
on 25 November 2015
not read it yet
on 24 May 2015
I am a big fan of Mr Brown, but ended up abandoning this book because it required such effort to get through. His tangents are detailed and diverting but then he goes off on a tangent from that tangent and very often another from that one. It ends up feeling a bit like being in the typhoon in the wizard of OZ. He is a brilliant man and I really enjoyed a recent live show I saw him in but this book doesn't translate much of his charisma.
on 22 April 2012
First of all, the item arrived very quickly and was in a better condition than what was described!
I have always been a massive fan of Derren Brown and eventually decided to read his books. The book is very good! It takes an alternative way of writing an autobiography and is different from normal autobiographies, making it interesting.
Overall, a great read and a great purchase, well worth it!
on 28 January 2016