Published on 8 Mar 2010 by Fiendishly Bookish

2.0 out of 5 stars Why do I do this to myself ?
Ok I know I am totally out of sync with all these glowing 4 and 5 star reviews but I really did not get the appeal of this book at all.

Spoilers from here on...

Published 23 months ago by Mr. A. I. Harrison

4.0 out of 5 stars Inventive, Brutal and Precise, Maneater Will Chew You Up and Spit You Out, 8 Mar 2010
This review is from: Maneater (Paperback)
Maneater is infused with vice: greed, and power and Emson flexes his literary muscle to convey just that. He's plausibly set forth a tale of two ancient bloodlines warring for countless centuries, waging their battle in flashbacks and in contemporary London. The chronicle of Laura Greenacre, the last full-blooded werewolf of the Greenacre clan is riveting as she butts claws with the Templeton's, the distinguished society family responsible for massacring all the members of her vast clan. She'll stop at nothing to exact revenge.

Shunning their lycanthropic side for generations, the Templeton's finally realize the power they've denied themselves. Getting their hands on Laura's pure blood and wielding it indiscriminately is the goal of the new patriarch intent on building up his clan's strength and power once again. It's a battle to the bloody, meaty death as the Templeton's hire a team of mercs to take out Laura.

Emson is deliciously inventive, brutal and precise. Maneater is like no other werewolf tale you've read recently. A lonely werewolf girl, Laura Greenacre is not. She's nothing like Millar's character, or any other shifter you've been exposed to. Instead she is a ravening beast, ruled purely by instinct, and dead set on revenge. Emson does not trifle with wasted energy at times; we don't get to really peer in depth into the minds of his characters to make an emotional connection with the exception of Laura and perhaps Thorn. And while there is a certain fragility to her, don't be fooled, Maneater is meant to be undiluted horror and that's exactly what it is.

I purposely had to stop tearing so fast through the book in order to really savor each scene. This is because Emson's paragraphs are honed with scalpel-like precision, like a surgeon slicing a neat red path featuring the diverse and believable pov's of his characters. And those differing perspectives, coupled with Emson's sparse language gives Maneater the overall feel of a rapidly paced film. The battle of Trafalgar Square, Emson's climax to the book and by far the best treat is absolutely gripping as Laura goes head to head against the Templeton's while tourists and police are caught within the bloody fray.

Maneater is a fresh infusion to the genre, ruthless, bold, and immensely entertaining. It ends on a deviously clever cliffhanger. A vial of Laura's blood gets into the hands of a Templeton and with it a worldwide hunt ensues as alliances are systematically made and crushed. Prey, Emson's coveted sequel is already queued up in my TBR pile and is expected to be just as engrossing and grisly.
A Fiendishly Bookish Review

2.0 out of 5 stars Why do I do this to myself ?, 4 Sep 2012

Spoilers from here on...

Where do I start? Well lets take Laura Greenacre our heroine. We're told on the dust jacket she's not nice, she's mean, she'll eat you alive, she'll wear her mucky shoes on your best shagpile etc etc. Why? because she was fathered by a man who first abandons her and then has all her immediate family killed by mercanries. On top of this when Laura enters the care system she discovers another girl has been raped by a care worker, later minding her own business in a club she is hit on by a stranger who throws his beer all over her, all this before a doctor and lawyer who are their to help her turn out to be sex pests. All these negative experiences of men mean that Laura naturally becomes a....you've guessed it, pole dancer! (when she is not being a werewolf).

Initially she lives up to her billing, she slaughters a couple of guard dogs, piddles in a police car and spends much of the first third throwing people around by their faces. Despite all this she manages not to be either thrown in jail or as is much more like detained under section 2 of the Mental Health Act. But then she kind of morphs into avenger mode and it turns out she only eats alive rapist's, murderer's and those really unhelpful doctors receptionists.

But don't worry another villian emerges in Michael Templeton. He must be bad because even though he is definitely not a hippy he has a pony tail! Which any watcher of 80's crime thrillers will tell means he is into drugs, treating women badly and given half a chance will be rude to your Mum! Despite being heir to a fortune and his Dad's mansion with a 50 meter swimming pool??! 50 meters!that's olympic size and twice as long as your average municiple facility! still it could happen. Where was I, ah yes despite all this Mike decides to be truly powerful he needs to be a werewolf too and gain super human powers, so he can be really rude to your Mum and there will be nothing you can do about it Mwahahaha! so he engineers it so he is bitten by Laura and turns.
Not just satisfied with this however he makes all his cousins into werewolves too. So now they are rich, powerful and influential and with super powers! so there is nothing to stop them now. Nothing to stop them establishing a powerful crime sydicate?, murdering their business rivals? ruling the world? No nothing to stop them going on a mad and random suicidal killing spree on the streets of London??! WHY?

Ooh I didn't mention Laura's love interest. He's a copper but a copper who has just split up from his wife because he was so devoted to his job and kept missing his daughter's birthday and even though now he's trying to be good events mean he still forget's to ring her at the right times...and his wife has now just met a Peter Perfect type who is doing his best to win his daughters affections... Please spare us this hackneyed story line! Fortunately for Laura the cop doesn't dress up as Mrs Doubtfire and go and work under cover with his wife, he falls for Laura and takes up his gun, throws away his career and kick's some werewolf ass!

I could go on and mention some of the characters rather odd habit of stopping in the middle of all the werewolf chaos to tell us about Hadrian's wall, or the particular model of Saab someone is driving but I won't.

Maybe I should give up on this genre but I do like the odd one! If your reading Joe Hill please write another book and remind us how good horror can be!

End of Spoilers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different but good!, 5 April 2011
This review is from: Maneater (Paperback)
I would actually rate this 4.5 stars only because having just read Skarlet by thomas Emson I can't quite bring myself to like this as much. Having said that after reading the back of this book i didn't expect to like Laura Greenacre at all as she wasn't meant to be a likeable character so I was quite surprised how after few chapters I found myself quite fond of her.

What I like most about Thomas Emson's books is the fast pace, there is simply no time to get bored or fed up. Once you start reading you have to keep on reading until the book is finished.
I would definatly recommend this book to everyone, it won't disappoint!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 1 Feb 2009
This review is from: Maneater (Paperback)
Read this excellent novel on holiday and it was one of those rare treats - a book you didn't want to put down or to end.
Beautifully crafted with totally believable characters and a story line that zoomed along.
Here's to the sequel.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good story, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: Maneater (Kindle Edition)
A very dramatic climax to a good story. Second time I've read this and the first was in paperback format.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, loved it, 8 July 2011
This review is from: Maneater (Paperback)
So even just going by the blurb you can tell this chick ain't gonna be painted as a lovely family woman who had some terrible accident and got turned into a werewolf. She's a bitch. Literally! She has few friends and no family.

I loved this book ... well ..... I would have if it didn't have so many spelling errors and typos in it. That really puts me off! So as it is I liked it very much.

Unfortunately, with this blurb, there's not a whole lot for me to say without giving anything away. Let's just say it doesn't fall in line with the more recent werewolf books. It's kind of confusing to read purely because it's told from everyone's point of view. There's no outright narrator in this and sometimes it takes a few sentences to even work out who you're currently reading.

Definitely a must read for all werewolf fans. It's Thomas Emson's first English novel but I'm going to be on the lookout for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Twilight fans run and hide!, 11 Feb 2011
This review is from: Maneater (Paperback)
I purchased this book just because I loved the front cover and my wife's obsession with all that is Twilight. The story moves along at a fantastic pace, such a cliche but it was unputdownable and this comes from a man who reads one book a year, and that must have pictures in it. What a great buy. Such a good take on the werewolf story. Each character is full and believable, some you will love and some you will hate, and some if your like me you have a crush on(is it wrong to lust after a big dog!). I have since read all Thomas Emson's book and loved them all, each with the same fast paced writting style, congratulation Mr Emson a great collection. If you like horror books you will not regret purchasing this book I guarantee it.

5.0 out of 5 stars more great writing and a great lycan story, 23 Feb 2010
C. E. MCKEOWN (KENT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maneater (Paperback)
I'm really growing to enjoy Emson's style. More than that - he writes good stories and puts you in the centre of the action. This is a modern story of 2 great families - the Templetons and the Greenacres and how they came to hate each other thru the different paths they adopted thousands of years ago. The story focuses on Laura Greenacre, the last of her kind and a 100% bonafide werewolf. We get to understand her, her motives and her fears but also her awesome talents. I really enjoyed Emson's take on the werewolf tale (he is true to the tale but nicely weaves in new aspects that make it even better) and his descriptive style is clear and crisp. The story has pace and never really faltered or wondered into unecessary areas. The ending is fantastic and I must admit once it started to build I could not put it down and carried on reading until the small hours! I'm not going to spoil it here but suffice to say it was very good. Thoroughly recommended (I've got the follow up to read yet) and well worth the star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 29 April 2009
Kelly "I am a busy mum of 2 under 3's, audio ... (Paulton, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maneater (Paperback)
WOW. Maneater was definitely a book that I wasn't expecting and I mean that in a good way.

Maneater has a lot of action, a lot of gore, and a refreshing take in ever-growing werewolf lore. Laura has only one motive during the entire book. Revenge. Revenge. Revenge. This one-track goal leaves her open to some sticky situations, but Laura doesn't care. It doesn't help that you're an amazingly strong werewolf who loves the taste of blood.

The book as a whole is fast paced, along with there is a lot of detail making the book seem bigger than it really is. I remember reading about 100 pages and already feeling exhausted by how much was going on. I felt that and shocked that I was only at 100 pages when it felt like I should be at 200+ pages.

I did like how the plot leaves it open for a sequel, which is exactly what I wanted after I finished the novel.

If you are looking for a werewolf book that falls more into the horror category, then definitely check this out.

5.0 out of 5 stars An author to watch out for!, 23 Mar 2009
This review is from: Maneater (Paperback)
Laura is a werewolf out for revenge but doesnt expect all the revelations that she is faced with along the way.

I loved this book, I am into anything with Vampires and Shapshifters and this did not disappoint! at first I struggled with all the different characters being introduced with each new chapter. But after getting into Mr Emson's style of writing I loved it and couldnt put it down.

The story is gory in parts as you would expect being about a werewolf but also very funny and has a slight insight of romance between Laura and Thorn. I cant wait to read the next book in this series even though I have seen its about vampires not werewolves. This would make a great tv series or film.

Maneater
Maneater by Thomas Emson (Paperback - 1 April 2008)
7.35