5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - concise, helpful and fun
Published on 21 Sep 2007 by N. S. Drake

3.0 out of 5 stars Good material
I think the book is interesting but gives too much information on things that to my view are not necessary relevant, however some sections were good. I was expecting to find information on road signs and tips to use the bicycle in big cities or more detailed tips on riding it in crowded roads.
Published on 5 July 2009 by L. Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - concise, helpful and fun, 21 Sep 2007
N. S. Drake "naturenick" (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: City Cycling (Paperback)
City Cycling is a superb read. I picked it up for hints and tips on buying a bike but ended up reading it cover to cover in a few days, and I know I'll be going back to sections now and then too. It's full of useful stuff and covers all the basics - types of bikes, maintenance, riding, traffic - and is very clear with plenty of great photos. But the thing that makes this book stand out is the writing - very accessible, witty and heart-felt. Great fun and inspirational. Read the bits on riding in traffic ('you are traffic'!) and you'll feel better about cycling in cities and towns. There are plenty of good cycling books but few that contain so much good stuff, and none that I know are as fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars City Cycling - Simply Excellent, 5 Oct 2007
T. C. Green "Tim Green" (Kingston Upon Hull) - See all my reviews
This review is from: City Cycling (Paperback)
A brilliant book on general cycling for all to enjoy. Aimed at the average Joe Public urban cyclist, this book explains all you need to know in a witty and informative manner. A great reference book, yet very easy to read cover to cover. Anyone concerned about the prospect of cycling to work in busy traffic should buy this book; it will put your fears in perspective and to one side, allowing you to get on your bike and join the Cycling revolution which is happening across Britain. Whether you are a complete non cyclist or Lance Armstrong you'll enjoy this book, guaranteed. Tip Top.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book for all cyclists, 28 Mar 2008
C. Brady (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: City Cycling (Paperback)
This is a comprehensive book on cycling for cyclists of all ages and abilities. It provides useful information on the different types of bike and their advantages and disadvantages for different cyclists and in different situations, finding routes, how to ride your bike (sounds daft but there is plenty to learn even if you can simply peddle and steer a bike), and a very good mechanics section with some excellent pictures.

When reading this book it is clear the author is an authority on this subject and loves the subject. It is really easy to read and by reading it you will pick up lots of incredibly useful information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for a new cyclist like me!, 14 Jun 2011
This review is from: City Cycling (Paperback)
This book by Richard Ballantine is a fantastic read for someone like me who is new to cycling and very intimidated at the thought of London traffic. Great all round advice and tips and certainly got my enthusiasm going for preparing to hit the roads of London.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love!, 12 Aug 2014
This review is from: City Cycling (Paperback)
Really love the chatty style of this book. I bought this because I was hit off my bike in Camberwell last year and I've had the heebie jeebies about getting on my bike again. It's a really clear way to learn about how to cycle in London - and how to make the best of it. People cycling in other major cities will find the advice helpful. I read a lot for pleasure and although I bought this book for its technical aspect I found myself surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Guru, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: City Cycling (Paperback)
I will miss the lively writing style of Ballantyne, who first captured my cycling imagination in the late 1970's. His unstinting belief in HPVs and no nonsense approach to City cycling was no doubt down to his US origins, but if every cyclist followed his example on the road, we would be in a much better place. Plenty of advice here, ranging from road sense through to maintenance.

I have no hesitation in recommending this or indeed any of his other writings. This man was a pioneer in the revitalised UK cycle scene in the 1980s and his vast experience shows through in his accumulated wisdom.

Gone but certainly not forgotten. His epitaph is the cycling Nation that Britain is hopefully becoming. One could not wish for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read., 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: City Cycling (Paperback)
I have bought two copies of this book it was so good, one for me and one for my brother. If you are interested in riding your bike you will enjoy this book. It does not go into great technical detail but is a very readable book about one man's view and his experience with bikes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good introduction for anyone new to cycling, 13 Dec 2011
J. Voelcker "Jake's Bikes" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: City Cycling (Paperback)
An excellent introduction to practical cycling, covering topics as diverse as how to choose the right bike, bicycle theft and security, panniers and carrying luggage, safe cycling techniques, and routine maintenance and servicing. It is actually quite an entertaining read with quirky photos and a few humorous anecdotes. Its only downfall is that it possibly attempts to squeeze too much into a book barely larger than a novel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good material, 5 July 2009
L. Scott "Limo" (UK) - See all my reviews

City Cycling
City Cycling by Richard Ballantine (Paperback - 1 Aug 2007)