Published on 28 Sept. 2008 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Very lame
I got this book for my son (14) for Christmas, thinking he would have a lot of fun over the weird and freaky things people in the world have accomplished. At first, he was thrilled as well, but that rather quickly turned into confused bafflement and dismay.
Published on 5 Feb. 2009 by Kati

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Always the best, but this year I discovered something that makes it even better, 28 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Guinness World Records 2009 (Hardcover)
I first read the Guinness Book of World Records when I was kid back in the 70s, and it's comforting to see it still going strong. I'll say that I definitely preferred the old school text-heavy versions from back in the day to the flourescent lime, 3D photography, picture-fest of today. It's a new world we live in now, so I guess it's hard to fault the Big G for keeping up with the times.

As much as I've long loved the Guinness book itself, I was always a little disappointed that there wasn't a good resource written ABOUT Guinness -- its history, evolution, and especially about how it became the phenomenon that inspires people to carry out such dedicated acts of nuttiness. A few weeks ago in New York, I saw a book profiled in the newspaper titled GETTING INTO GUINNESS by Larry Olmsted. Olmsted is a journalist as well as a two-time GBWR record-holder, and I gave it a try. Well, it's the perfect companion piece to the Guinness book; it puts everything into context and lets you feel like a real insider. 300 pages of fascinating real life stories about the quest for Guinness recordhood, and Amazon has it for under nine pounds. I'll be giving them together as a gift to my nephew. Buy them as a tandem (which is what I should have done) and you'd even get free shipping with Prime! Getting into Guinness: One Man's Longest, Fastest, Highest Journey Inside the World's Most Famous Record Book

1.0 out of 5 stars Very lame, 5 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Guinness World Records 2009 (Hardcover)
"Mum, what sort of a record is it that the polar bear is the largest carnivore in the world, or that the first plane was hijacked in 1931?" my son asked me.
It turns out that the once exciting book of cool, thrilling, crazy, freaky and awesome things people have done has deteriorated into a general natural history and science book, listing things like Afghanistan's opium production, largest desert, brightest star, closest galaxy, most southerly tree fern... I mean, there's nothing wrong with natural history books, quite the contrary - but this is not what I was looking for here. Although it also lists things like most snails on face, longest hair, hairiest face and highest slackrope walk, it has been reduced to a lame and superficial overview of nature, technology and people. Again, nothing wrong with nature, technology et al, but I buy separate books for that!
This has been a very saddening disappointment to us. Well, at least the covers look good - 1 point for that!

4.0 out of 5 stars Guinness World Records 2009, 1 Feb. 2009
Mr. P. C. Shilling (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guinness World Records 2009 (Hardcover)
My sons have a collection of these books and enjoy reading and looking at them. 2009 was bought for them at Xmas to bring their collection upto date. The book contents are in line with the previous editions, however, the particular book I was sent was in bad condition. A number of pages were mis-glued and pertruding below the cover, which meant they were creased and tatty. (3 CDs I also purchased at the same time all came with broken cases). The CDs I decided to keep as there was no time before xmas to exchange and replace them, the book I returned and bought again at WH Smiths.

5.0 out of 5 stars No wonder this is the world's best selling book!, 23 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Guinness World Records 2009 (Hardcover)
After having received Guinness World Records 2009, as a gift, I've realised just how good it is. I was in Tesco a few days ago, and flicked through it then. I thought it was good. But now I own it, it's enabled me to see the extent of just how good it is.

Saying that it's the best edition of Guinness World Records to date, and it is (no worries there), isn't really that much of an achievement. Saying, however, it's the best book I've ever read...the best book ever made...is.
And this is. It's crammed full of amazing achievements, epic engineering, fantastic feats, and much more amazing stuff to feast your eyes on.

Leaving `Ripley's: Believe It Or Not' for dead, GWR really have excelled themselves this time. It really is astonishing.
This year's edition also includes huge, awe-inspiring fold out 3D features, which are apparently obvious when you wear the 3D-glasses that are provided.
It's awesome!

- Revealed: the world's strongest man
- The record-breaking world of Harry Potter
- Inside the Hollywood Hall of Fame
- The top ten videogames of the year
- Face to face with dinosaurs in exciting 3D!
- Plus your favourite records country by country

All this can be found in the spectacular book that is Guinness World Records 2009.

I'd suggest going over to that bookshop, right this second, and buying a copy.
Guaranteed - you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - Great service, 6 May 2009
This review is from: Guinness World Records 2009 (Hardcover)
I tried to purchase the Guinness Book of Records from all major book shops to no avail, it was the wrong time of the year I was told. so I tried Amazon, ordered it and it was delivered the very next day ! I learnt a very valuable lesson, use the internet more often !

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best yet, 19 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Guinness World Records 2009 (Hardcover)
I have collected plenty of copies of GWR but this excels all. The 3-D glasses bring the book to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Record Deal !, 7 Feb. 2009
Mrs. S. S. Archer-longden "bagpuss5" (Coastal Norfolk UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guinness World Records 2009 (Hardcover)
Guinness World Records 2009 (Guinness Book of Records)Excellent purchase for a gift.Can be read over and over again. FULL of facts figures and entertainment. Something for all the family.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great as a gift for kids, 13 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Guinness World Records 2009 (Hardcover)
Purchased this as a Christmas gift a few years ago.

Classic book that makes a great present.

(Although this reviews a bit late, so be sure to get the 2015 edition!)

2.0 out of 5 stars would win the record for the worst book, 28 Jan. 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Guinness World Records 2009 (Hardcover)
i love gunish world records but 2009 wasnt the best the 3d is rubbish and all the records are supid if you like movie records there none here for over all rubbish

5.0 out of 5 stars It is what it is, 9 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Guinness World Records 2009 (Hardcover)
Everyone knows Guinness World Records. A bunch of facts accompanied by weird and wonderful photos. Makes a good Christmas present or coffee table gift.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Guinness World Records 2009
Guinness World Records 2009 (Hardcover - 17 Sept. 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01