on 24 April 2012
It is surprising how many rubbish tips and inaccurate advice you can find in celebrity chefs' books. Nicholas Clee knows better - he has written a brilliant book that is both informative and helpful. He shares with us the results of his research and provide simple explanations. He dismisses myths and explains *why* something works the way it does.It's also different from the books that focus on science and chemistry, which I find a little overkill for everyday cooking. Great read, also for skilled cooks - it's never too late to learn the basics.
on 11 January 2006
I was given DON'T SWEAT THE AUBERGINE for Christmas - a perfect choice - and found it fascinating enough to skip meals (for a bit, then I got hungry and found it an inspirational way to eat through my store cupboard). I love the logical way the author talks about food, and the way you can practially smell the finished creation. Clee clearly adores eating tasty stuff and his unusual book is the result of years of making sure that being in the kitchen ensures he appreciates dinner. For foodies who love reading, this book is as essential as balsamic vinegar.
on 7 December 2005
Not only do you not have to sweat the aubergine you don't have to sweat over anything else either. I learned this the hard way over a number of years. I started learning to cook after I got married and my poor husband was the victim of the many fancifully not to mention expensive concoctions I got from recipe books. I followed recipes to the letter with varying results. I just could not fathom where I was going wrong.
Nicholas's simple explanations have cleared up the mysteries. I have long since adjusted recipes to suit my family's tastes. I did this at first with much trepidation worrying about the end result. However I now think so what? As long as the finished dish is edible and tasty. In fact I rarely use recipe books any more. I was tempted by this one because of the sub title and I would recommend this book to all cooks from beginner to old hands. It's full of sound common sense which we all need to be reminded of from time to time. It's also done with much humour and I greatly enjoyed it.
on 12 December 2005
If you are one of those people who love to cook and own lots of cook books but never ever follow a recipe exactly ,this is the book for you . He will make you smile and your mouth water .I found I couldn`t wait to get in the kitchen and use some of his tips . It is a wonderful read even if you don`t cook but just love food .
on 29 November 2005
Quite brilliant in the sheer practicality and readability. My 86 year old mother who has been cooking for eighty years found that she learned several things from it. As a relatively novice cook it encourages me to try all sorts of things I would never have considered. Not only does the author tell you what to do but he also explains why it needs to be done. All this and filled with humour. Unconditionally recommended.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 13 April 2014
Excellent particularly where it gently picks apart many common cooking instructions and explains why they don't work. Lots of discussion and many of the author's recipes. For my taste, he likes aubergines, lentils and stews far too much.

I liked all the recipes I tried. Clee's pastas and puddings have been very good indeed. I also found a few more interesting recipes in his blogs.
on 2 March 2012
I feel a little mean with my three stars here - I'd certainly give the book four for what's actually in here. Nigel Slater's cover quote is bang on - the books is intelligent, thoughtful and fascinating. The trouble is, it's also pretty badly laid out. The amount of cross-referencing required to work your way through it is significant. I'd still thoroughly recommend getting hold of a copy, but it's frustrating all the same and certainly limits my enjoyment and use of it.
on 15 July 2015
This is the cookbook for people who want to know why they have to follow recipes in a particular way. It also de-bunks several cooking myths and, following experimental efforts, tells you what works and what doesn't. No substitute for the encyclopaedic 'On Food and Cooking' by Harold McGee (which doesn't have recipes), but a good buy alongside Delia Smith's first 'Complete Cookery Course' for the beginner cook.
on 7 August 2015
This is not a cookbook about aubergines, but a general cookbook. Not what I was looking for. We have so many aubergines at the moment that I am drowning in them, and I desperately needed a cookbook on aubergines. But I can't fault the book just because I didn't read the descriptions closely enough... Otherwise, it's a really good cookbook with great explanations!
on 19 August 2014
The best kitchen book I've ever had.
We all have loads of cookery books they never use, don't we.
This book is referred to so often it is covered in food stains !
A perfect gift for people who actual cook to eat not just entertain !