Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 January 2012
This book I would recommend to any reader who wants more from travel than the cost of eating out, hotel recommendations and nightlife. This is my kind of book which actually enters the spirit of place, even if it appears to nearly all writers as being devoid of life, barren and hostile. All the same, there is a spiritual or mystical element in nothingness and humans can react to this whether positively or negatively. I was impressed by the number of historical and modern suicide cases connected with the solitude and /or boredom resulting from an extensive and uninterrupted existence in Patagonia's most isolated areas.
The chapters were arranged out of sequence so that the reader could pick any one at will- as I did, according to preference. All the chapters were extradinarily well-researched and led one to other references of writers, film-makers, music etc to follow-up a personal extension of the book- The bibiography was great too in this respect. Heartily enjoyable. I'd like to read other titles in this collection.
on 20 August 2010
Definitively a good book, mainly concentrated on the history of Patagonia from a British perspective.
It gives a good idea about the cultural and natural environment of the past and also on more recent time.
on 30 December 2014
Perfect info for we are going on a cruise later this month.
on 13 December 2014
intresting book
on 21 March 2011
Yes, as a former friend of Mr CP Moss, BD, AKC, MA I can advise you that Chris escaped the Imperial grips of Burtonwood, USA and excelled a journey (via the proverbial tap on the shoulder at Kings to join MI6) which would deliver us this momentous work. No longer a student of divinity Chris would none the less appreciate the words of CG Jung in recognition of the Domuyo volcano 'as above, so below'.
Or in the words of Molly Massey.... ' Has thy been wearing them black bags', to which could only be replied ....' Barry BoneEd'.
I've yet to read the book, so this preamble is my excited a-n-t-i-c-i-p-a-t-i-o-n.....
My review will follow.

And it has. A Journey through the 'I'. An arrogant, self indulgent trip. In this the 30th anniversary of Thatchers arrogant besieging of the Falklands, this Cheshire Lad needs exposure for all his efforts in betraying this region.
He speaks in Poetry, whilst betraying the indiginous people. Shame on thee lad. Ye Sold Out. I should've realised when you called an MOD plod 'Sir'.

Rebel Rebel.... I think NOT!