on 24 August 2007
La Palma is a walker's paradise and we've been going there off an on for several years. Trouble was, it's so little known that there was no decent walking guidebook to the island. We were pleased therefore to find this book in the excellent Discover Walking Guides series, which we've also used in Mallorca and Andalusia. The Mallorcan and Andalusian books are by the same author, so we knew the guide would be good, but we didn't expect to find quite so many walks we had never heard of before. An excellent introduction to the island, but worth buying even for people already familiar with the place.
on 20 August 2007
La Palma is an extraordinary place and this book takes you into places you might not find otherwise. It's well written and clearly presented. Some of the walks weren't to my taste (too tame) and some wheren't to my wife's taste (too wild), so I guess the author's got the balance about right! Highly recommended.
on 28 September 2013
We returned from a two week visit to La Palma in September 2013, and I had a copy of this book, the accompanying La Palma Trail and Tour Map (LPT) and a Freytag and Berndt Map (F&B) of La Palma.

This book is an excellent general guide to the island, well researched and interesting. You can use this book with the La Palma Trail and Tour Map to identify many good walks around the island.

However, personal tastes and preferences vary, and I found the Freytag and Berndt Map much better as a walking guide - partly due to the scale (the F&B is 1:30,000 compared to the LPT which is 1:40,000) and the clarity. Also, I do not like, or get along with, descriptions of walking routes - this has always been my experience, so maybe it's just me. I have to have a large and detailed map, and the F&B was the best I could find before travelling to La Palma.

With guide books, keeping up to date is always a major task. Much has been done on La Palma to make the trails much easier to identify and follow. This book mentions the project to do this in 2010. On one major walking trail, the GR131, large red signs often accompany the older sign posts. Sometimes the distances differ between the old and new, but this is a feature of road and trail signs the world over. (On one guided walk in La Palma, one of our guides even complained that the walks are too well signed now!)

I do strongly recommend this book as an introduction to the island and for finding walks that are nicely identified with a numbering system that matches that provided on the LPT map. But if like me you find difficulty following someone else's descriptions of a place or route, get the F&B map as well.
on 17 March 2012
Excellent Guide, tried many of the walks in March 2012. Clear discriptions of paths. Timing guide great help to knowing where you are or at least should be ( so you know if you've gone wrong)! A great way to explore an beautiful island that is not too well known thus a gem for those who like to get back to a almost forgotten way of life.
The map that goes with the guide (buy seperately) is also invaluable- a German friend who goes to La Palma regularly said it's superior to any other walking map of the island.
on 5 January 2006
Breathtaking, spectacular etc, you soon run out of superlatives so long as the weather is good on La Palma. We chose Walk La Palma and the Tour & Trail Map because they are the most recently published without realising how important it is to be up to date. The island has been extensively wayposted, not always as helpful as it seems, and it is vital that your guidebook includes these navigation markers. Two wet days put the map to its driving test, it passed with flying colours.
My only comment is that the Mirador del Time route, quite the shortest in the book, should be walked the other way round; park at the bottom, climb up for refreshments on the terrace of the super-kitch cafe with panoramic views, and then down that amazing donkey trail back to your car. Otherwise splendid.
on 11 February 2014
We first went to La Palma 15 years ago and used the Sunflower guide, which was OK, although too many of the walks were long one-way affairs requiring taxis or waiting for buses. Since that time walking on "the Pretty Island" has become even better with most routes now signposted and waymarked. This guide contains many more walks than the Sunflower equivalent and a good proportion of them are circular or there and back. The DWG series is very keen on GPS, but I didn't even need to take out my compass in 2 weeks, thanks to the comprehensive signing. The average walker will struggle to match the times achieved by the author, but that was also the case with Sunflower's Noel Rochford. Although Gran Canaria gets better weather and Tenerife is arguably more spectacular in places, La Palma provides the best walking experience overall in the Canaries. I recommend staying on the west of the island, which is sunnier.
on 25 November 2013
A good book for basing your walks on. We walked some as they were written and for others took bits out and created our own mini itinerary.
Those walks we used still seemed accurate although sometimes the places to eat or drink were closed, possibly due to the season. The author is correct - he makes no allowances for "sight seeing" we had to increase, by quite a lot, the time estimates, as we did on la Gomera when using Walk!.
on 25 January 2009
Bought this before holidaying in La Palma for the 5th time in December 2008. Very useful. Discovered new walks we wouldn't have known about otherwise.
on 1 March 2014
I really wouldn't bother with this unless you are using GPS. It relies heavily on GPS co-ordinates. We used the book without a GPS and it made finding the right route much more difficult. I would also comment that the book (and La Palma too) needs far more circular walks so you can start and finish in the same place!
on 28 January 2014
La Palma has hundreds of miles of tracks, and a really well connected road (and pretty good bus) network for getting to them, but queries on knowing where to start, how long the walks will take, and how much effort is required are all answered by this book. It also aims to take you off the beaten track a little and takes you to a few hidden gems that you might not find without it. The descriptions are excellent, the GPS waypoints so useful, and this book really helped make a walking holiday on La Palma a special and memorable experience.