5.0 out of 5 stars Small is delightful
This edition is exactly what I hoped it would be, small enough to be convenient, nice handy little volumes but with good clear print - and my eyes are no longer young. Now I've got all these beloved classics just where I want them, sitting snugly on a shelf and always ready to bring a 19th century London fog into my living room.
Published on 19 Aug 2011 by Jan Shirley

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved in Lilliput!
Beautifully bound and presented. But......physically very much on the small side. Myopics beware! On the plus side, a lot handier than the John Murray Collections. The case containing the books measures(approx.) Width 140mm, Height 160mm & Depth 103mm. They are very readable but do not expect them to `set-off' your library!
Published on 29 Aug 2007 by Peter H. Mussell

5.0 out of 5 stars Small is delightful, 19 Aug 2011
This review is from: Sherlock Holmes 6-Book Boxed Set (Collector's Library) (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another quality bargain, 9 Nov 2006
Roger Johnson (Chelmsford, England) - See all my reviews
A very handsome set of the Sherlock Holmes Canon in six hardback volumes, three containing two books each, all featuring pertinent afterwords by Holmes scholar David Stuart Davies. The texts are good and very clearly printed. The presentation is excellent - full-cloth binding, all gilt edges, head and tail bands, ribbon marker, and section-sewn. The individual volumes are keenly priced - much better than many paperbacks - but the price for the boxed set makes it a bargain not to be missed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does well what it sets out to do., 29 Dec 2009
FFFF "Tiresias" (St Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Yes, the information about this edition could have been rather more specific about the size - it is small-scale. But the type-face is admirably clear, and elderly borrowers have made no complaints on this point.
Of course one misses the Paget illustrations, but these are rarely well reproduced these days, and are available only in vast American editions in which the text is drowned in an ocean of superfluous and often naive comment.
I suppose that it is too much to hope for that a facsimile edition of the original Strand Magazine pages could ever appear. Meanwhile, this is a very good version of the essentials.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just perfect, 22 Feb 2011
This set is beautiful. From the illustrated covers to the gilded pages they're just gorgeous. And despite their size, not hard to read either. Plus they look really nice on display. Definitely three thumbs up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic little set, 3 May 2010
S. M. Saunders (Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Superb little set (the Sherlock Holmes complete works) within its own matching box. And although small (they are, it must be said, pocket-size volumes), the print size and quality are crystal clear. I certainly don't agree with a previous reviewer who felt the print size was "incredibly small". Maybe he or she is used to large-print editions?!

All in all, a smashing little collection, and a great bargain too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect little collection., 21 Oct 2011
I already have the Collector's Library's, "Complete Sherlock Holmes" edition - which contains all of the short stories and four novels together, as well as hundreds of wonderful illustrations by Sidney Paget throughout. However, that edition, while beautiful, is just too bulky for me; hence my reason for buying this set.

Other reviewers have brought up the size of the books, and I'll agree they are smaller than the picture suggests, but for me that's a plus point. It's essentially a mantelpiece collection which you can easily draw from and comfortably hold your chosen book in one hand. The size of the text itself is in no way compromised by that; in fact it's easier to read as there are only eight or nine words across each page (meaning the eyes have less distance to travel and thus less strain). We all know how masterful Doyle's writing is, so I'll assume that's a given and just rate the specifics of this product (A+ = Perfection, F = Abysmal):

Paper quality: A
Print quality: A
Bind quality: A+
Sleeve quality: A+
Overall design: A+

(Also to note: the containing box is strong and stylish, each book contains an attached thread bookmark, and all of the pages have gold-gilded edges.)

The current price on Amazon.co.uk is 21.54, which I'd suggest is an excellent bargain (I'd be willing to pay twice that). This fine six-piece box set is a must have for anybody wanting to own Doyle's literary masterpiece in its entirety but without the restrictive nature of a bulky one-piece edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful start to a collection..., 11 Sep 2012
I couldn't be more impressed with these books. I, of course, have read the entirety of the Sherlock Holmes collection beforehand, but was gifted with this set shortly after getting my current job. These are absolutely marvellous. Not only are they a handy size - nothing like far too big, and wonderfully comfortable to hold in your hand - but the paper dust jacket is handsomely illustrated, with the cloth hardcover being equally handsome. Compared to my old, mismatched books, this set does justice to the marvel of the series. They're innocuous whilst retaining their worth, and I simply couldn't be more pleased.

I would certainly advise that these books may be slightly smaller than one imagines, but they are by no means difficult to read. I wear glasses for reading, yet I can comfortably read these books without them. Between the handy size, the beautiful composition and the stories themselves, they're perfect for an eighteen-year-old like myself to take to work and store in a desk drawer between tea breaks and lunch. Having these books simply encourages me to re-read the entire series!

A must buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a great gift, 17 April 2012
I bought this for a friend of mine as a birthday gift and she loved it!
She's one of those people who judges a book by it's cover, and this little set looks great! Each book is hard backed, with a ribbon page marker and that shiny gold stuff on the page edges.
Like others, I was a little surprised by how small it was, but the text is still readable, and for such a great set at such a low price, the size is a fair compromise to make.

Would recommend as a gift for a book lover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection of Sherlock Books, 24 Feb 2012
When I purchased these it was on the off chance that as I liked the tv series I should try out the original books.
I was not disappointed, although the books are quite small for me I don't struggle to read them and the red material bookmark for each book makes losing my place virtually impossible.

If you're a fan of the tv series and films for that matter this collection will give you countless hours of reading material.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful set, 15 April 2009
Miss J. A. Davids "nuclear jd" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this a gift and it was very well received. It looks very good on the bookshelf. The only thing to note is that the print is incredibly small.

ARRAY(0xa7e7f48c)

Sherlock Holmes 6-Book Boxed Set (Collector's Library)
Sherlock Holmes 6-Book Boxed Set (Collector's Library) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Hardcover - 1 Sep 2005)
27.90