5.0 out of 5 stars I turned to this book in desperation and wasn't disapointed
In 5 years of buying books on Amazon this is the only book that I felt I wanted to write a review on.

Published on 3 Sept. 2008 by Billy

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Special
I bought this together with 'Can I Change Your Mind' and this one is by far the weaker of the two. Sets out to be a hard-nosed how-to manual for aspiring writers who want to make some income from the craft, but falls a little short. In any case it's not bad, just not very good.
Published 15 months ago by Ioannou Ioannis

5.0 out of 5 stars I turned to this book in desperation and wasn't disapointed, 3 Sept. 2008
Billy (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Write to Sell: The Ultimate Guide to Great Copywriting (Paperback)

I've been struggling to create good copy for a web site for some time and in the end I turned to this book in desperation. This book covered everything I needed to know succinctly and clearly. Not only did the book present the principals I needed to understand but each time I turned a page it gave me yet more ideas to implement immediately in my copy.

To sum it up this book felt like someone had handed me a Sat Nav whilst I was lost in a blizzard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book on Copywriting I've Read, 12 Nov. 2007
Mr. Sd Ellis "SDE" (West Bromwich) - See all my reviews
The beauty of this book is that it covers generic copywriting. The other titles tend to focus on direct marketing. That focus, along with the American style of the other authors, means you couldn't use them to shape your copywriting process. You'd simply be 'over the top' with zero credibility. I tend to use those books (by Bob Bly and Joe Vitale) as sources for the odd new idea, not as my template.

This book is split into 2 sections. Part one teaches you how to focus on your audience to make sure you write copy that pushes their buttons. Part two shows you how to write in a short, punch - and grammatically correct - manner.

It is perfect for the copy I need to write - job adverts for legal positions. It enables my ads to attract attention without using silly gimmicks that just wouldn't work.

I hope there are other books from Maslen to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars A clearly talented writer, 28 Dec. 2008
I enjoy writing and previously thought that I was quite good at it. Now I realise how much I didn't know about writing. I haven't done copywriting before, and this book has loads of great information. Although it is about copywriting, it will help in most areas of writing It brings up some very important points that I hadn't thought of before, but are actually common sense.
I thought it was so brilliant that I passed it onto my mum to read, and she is a published writer. I read it in less than a day, then I had to spend the next day skimming it and making notes, I still have about 14 sides of A4 worth of notes!
It might only be a small book, but the pages are absolutely stuffed with hints, tips and help. I have never read a book with less fluff in it! I would definately recommend it to anyone that does any kind of writing, not just for sales copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant guide to making your words work hard, 20 Jun. 2008
Elaine Hollands (UK) - See all my reviews
I loved this book by Andy Maslen. It is the most practical, helpful, doable guide to persuasive writing that I have ever read. It is packed with exercises that you can apply directly to what you have written that will improve your copy dramatically. It is a very easy read and can be used as a working manual. Should you buy it? - it is a no brainer - order it now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect, 22 April 2009
Entertaining, practical and well written, "Write to Sell" is almost the perfect book on copywriting. This excellent guide is jam-packed with hints and tips and provides you with a well-structured approach to writing more colourful copy. One thing that "Write to Sell" does particularly well is look at copywriting from an objective perspective - namely that of the audience who the copy is aimed at - and discuss what constitutes bad copy.

Ironically, however, it is this same focus on avoiding bad copy that lets the book down slightly. In spite of all the techniques suggested on how to write copy that makes the reader sit up and listen, the book concentrates too much on the avoidance of writing bad copy and there are too few examples of these techniques being successfully applied, too few practical examples of good copy. I bought this title to brush up on my own writing skills and for a professional take on what good copy actually is, but then found myself still asking, 'How do I know if what I am writing is any good?' after reading it.

For this reason, the book only gets four stars from me, which is a shame because it could have easily been five, had it not been for the lack of examples. But this is a minor quibble of mine. "Write to Sell" is, in all other aspects, a practical and likewise enjoyable book and I would certainly recommend it, all the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars You will learn something new reading this book, 31 Jan. 2009
This book is excellent. As a former editor who now works in PR, I am always interested in how other people write copy. This book has lots of very simple tips and tricks to make your writing punchy, sharp and get straight to the point. But the beauty of this book is that anyone (expert and novice) can follow it and understand it. By the time you've finished reading, you will be able to write great copy.

A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The salesman's writing, 27 Oct. 2007
P. Jeritslev (Denmark) - See all my reviews
Andy Maslen is a salesman. That's what makes this book different and so much better than other books I've read on writing sales letters. Sales is not just about talking; it's about asking questions, listening, presenting benefits on key issues and to get the order. Andy Maslen shows you how to do this in writing. Buy the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to read - highly recommended, 26 Jun. 2007
I'd never written copy before, but having read through this great book once I've gone on to write quite a bit for a new business I've just launched. This required some B2B and B2C copy and 'write to sell' was a great help with both.

Its logically structured and easy to read: contains helpful examples and Maslen does a good job of explaining the reasoning behind his suggested approaches.

It was also an enjoyable and interesting read as a consumer of copy as normal member of the public and I'd recommend it even to people that don't have plans to write copy.

The table of contents is detailed but (minor complaint here) I'd have liked an index to help with quick reference when I go back to it.

Highly recommended and great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars a brilliant source of advice, 29 Jun. 2007
Ms. C. Camp (London, England) - See all my reviews
I brought this book to give me a boost before starting a new Copywriting position and it's been invaluable. The advice Maslen gives is practical and easy to follow. He writes in a clear, no-nonsense way and aims to help not lecture.

I highly recommend this book for anyone even thinking about writing copy, it's a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Presses all the "write" buttons, 19 May 2008
N. Turner (Gaborone Botswana) - See all my reviews
I have read a lot about copywriting and taken a course in it. Whether you are an aspiring copywriter or a more experienced one, "The Ultimate Guide..." must rank as a must have in your library. It is easy to read, very comprehensive and has just a dash of humour.

Andy Maslen has identified the most important aspects of good copywriting and laid them out in an entertaining and easy to understand way. Chapters 13, "The black arts", and 14, "Why your sales copy should be like a bowl of Rice Krispies", stand out for as particularly useful to me, but the book is (copywriting cliche coming up) packed full of useful tips and techniques.

An index would have been useful, but the book is concise and clearly laid out so this does not detract significantly.

Write to Sell: The Ultimate Guide to Great Copywriting
Write to Sell: The Ultimate Guide to Great Copywriting by Andy Maslen (Paperback - 22 Mar. 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01