5.0 out of 5 stars Reality Check
Excellent book by an experienced sales professional. Practical ideas that make real common sense and provide a structure to go out and cold call effectively.

Etherington provides a reality check for many sales people on what I would call the "tacky numbers game", he explains that;

95% of sales people make the first cold call,
50% of sales people...
Published on 2 Mar. 2009 by Mr. Kenneth Nairn

1.0 out of 5 stars 5 star reviews?
The book has very little about cold calling, 1/3 approximately. It has possibly 2 pages of unique ideas, the rest are from other books.

I wanted tips on cold calling. I got nothing and felt like it was 1974. Nothing at all I can use today, or you for that matter, provided you know how to use a telephone and have a modicum of intelligence.

I might be...

50% of sales people make the second cold call,
25% of sales people make the third cold call,
15% of sales people make the fourth cold call,
10% of sales people make the fifth cold call,

and just 5% of sales people make the sixth cold call and they take 85% of the available new business in any market.

A very good book about how important it is to have both structure and perseverence in sales in general and cold calling especially.

Highly recommended, especially in these credit crunch times.

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Hate Cold Calling ..., 30 Dec. 2009
G. Britton (Maidenhead, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cold Calling for Chickens (Paperback)
I have been in software sales now for nearly 12 years and like most sales people I work with, there is a general loathing for cold calling. But as the book states, 85% of business out there is won by the 5% of the sales people able to make cold calls. This book provides an approach and, more importantly, a mental attitude that you can use, not only in sales, but in other areas of your life.

After having read this book twice, I have a completely different outlook on the calling process and using the tips in the book, I am no longer worried about the rejections I get, nor the objections from customers.

Easy to read, easy to digest and I am looking forward to a revamped sales career in 2010.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets results right away, 17 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Cold Calling for Chickens (Paperback)
This book is the best investment I have made for a long time. Prior to purchasing the book, I had already tried my hand at cold calling with some success but it was very hit and miss. I wanted to learn whatever I could to hone my technique and this book gave me the advice in spades.

I work for a charity which provides a free service to clients so I am not your traditional salesman but we are heavily reliant on funding and one of the ways in which our performance is measured is through meeting targets-which means getting clients through the door.

The most successful way I have found of getting clients through the door is by securing client referrals from other organisations which means cold calling them and there has been a marked improvement in my cold calling progress since I started applying the principles in this book.

For example, one of the reasons I was more 'miss' than 'hit' prior to reading the book is that I often got stuck on the line with the "gatekeepers" who basically don't always have the authority to make a decision on what you are requesting.

By doing a bit of prior research or "intelligence" and by employing the tactics advocated in the book to bypass the gatekeepers, you can save yourself a lot of time and effort by getting through to the best person to speak to.

One schoolboy error I made was by not keeping a record of organisations I had contacted. In hindsight I can see that some have fobbed me off by getting me to send more information in the post or by email and I never hear from them again. If you keep a record, you can always make that follow up call and change your approach or perhaps you will speak to somebody different next time or someone who isn't having a bad day and is more receptive to what you have to say.

The book is very easy to read and understand and I read it in a single sitting. I got the most value out of the advice by reading the book twice to reinforce the principles in my mind and I started applying them in my job immediately.

It's an interesting read with some good anecdotes, inspirational quotes and the advice is golden, absolutely priceless. If you do cold calling for a living or if you sell goods or services to anybody, you cannot afford to not buy this book. The book will more than pay for itself with the extra business you generate. I am absolutely smashing my targets at the moment and the vast majority of my leads were from a cold call I made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nobody wants to but we all have to, 15 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Cold Calling for Chickens (Paperback)
I hate it...not the book.....but Cold Calling itself. I have tried every way to get out of it and find new customers some other way but none of them work. This is really a book about how to overcome the fear in a very quirky way....and I have to admit it actually works. Even miserable potential customers are not as scary now. I am ordering several copies for my staff.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 22 Nov. 2008
R. Loughlin - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cold Calling for Chickens (Paperback)
This book is an easy amusing read, packed with practical advice. In addition to addressing all aspects of the cold calling process, the book covers time management, attitude and fear negation techniques. 5 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars 5 star reviews?, 26 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Cold Calling for Chickens (Paperback)

I might be a cold calling chicken but I am no idiot. I would even go as far as to say I felt that the book was rather misleading in its title.

Try Influence by Cialdini or other books written recently.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, but off topic, 17 April 2009
This review is from: Cold Calling for Chickens (Paperback)
Although a very good read and a lot of tips, I found the author writing off topic throughout most of the book (he actually only starts talking about cold calling per se on page 91 out of 148 pages in total). The rest is just about a general attitude towards work, time management, a bit of NLP, etc.

I understand Mr Etherington wanted to show the idea of the cold calling within a particular context which he first had to present, but from the reader's point of view, I bought this book because of its title, and quite frankly if 62% of its content is about presenting a context to cold calling, I would give the book a different title.

That being said, I do value this book a lot and would recommend it to anyone interested in the subject> I would just make sure they know it is not only about cold calling.

5.0 out of 5 stars cold calling for chickens, 24 Mar. 2008
Mhughes "melanh56" (st albans,hertfordshire,uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cold Calling for Chickens (Paperback)
if you are involved in selling by phone then this book is a must regardless of how experienced you think you are.I picked up lots of tips and hints from the book but I have been in sales all my life and been on loads of training courses.If you just put into practice just some of the methods you will see you sales increase. I was top sales person last month, could that be to do with just having read the book? I have only been in my current job for 2 months so I think yes both conciously and subconciously this book helped me acheive this.Once you have read it you will keep going back to it over and over-its a excellent investment in your future!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 31 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Cold Calling for Chickens (Paperback)
What can I say, I picked up this book and didnt put it down until I had finished it. I was scared to death of cold calling and had absolutely no idea where to start fixing my ums and ers, how to begin wording what I wanted to say, or asking the right sort of questions.

Not only did this book help me with all of that, but it inspired me and made me even want to go and start calling people up, because it's one step to the top of the mountain, don't take that step and how do you expect to get up there? We all know that, but the writer of this book really motivates you with the tools to back you up on your journey.

Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars This chicken is warmed up!, 31 Jan. 2010
Ms. Jl Hirst - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cold Calling for Chickens (Paperback)
Having never been a fan of cold calling I thought I'd read this book to see if there were any tips that I could put into place. Thank goodness I did - Bob has made it an interesting read and an extremely useful book with tools and techniques that are easy to understand and simple to adopt. A must for anyone who needs to sell.

Cold Calling for Chickens
Cold Calling for Chickens by Bob Etherington (Paperback - 23 Oct. 2006)