5.0 out of 5 stars So good you'll read it twice ...., 4 July 2006
Carl Chambers (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Why Work Is Weird: An Antidote to the Frustrations of Corporate Life (Paperback)
Reading "Why work is weird" is like having a wonderfully wise and highly practical friend alongside you, as you talk through common issues that arise in the workplace, and more broadly, in life in general.

You feel as if you are sitting alongside the 'patient' who is explaining to the 'WorkDoctor' what's wrong. The WorkDoctor listens, carefully diagnoses the 'problem', explains the root cause of it, and provides a coherent framework for the solution.

The book is worth buying if you only read one chapter, and use it to help think through that area of work or life. But there are seven chapters! They cover such issues as: why do I change into someone else when I'm at work? why can I never get the balance right in life / work / everything?; why am I not enjoying life, even when highly successful? and how do I go about changing things in an effective and real way?

Each chapter gives analytical tools to help the reader diagnose themselves or their organisations. It's an easy read, and happily not full of much management jargon.

It's well written, in a conversational, accessible style. Yet it provokes so much personal reflection that this reviewer found himself reading each chapter twice, reflecting first on what it said to me, and then on what it said to my organisation. It's full of profound insights put simply, and I found myself repeatedly saying "now I see why ...". And then it helps you through the challenge of moving forward in a realistic and practical way.

A magnificent book to enjoy - in parts or as a whole - time and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 12 Jan 2006
Alistair Barry (Cambridge United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is the best business book I've read in a decade. 'Why Work is Weird' explores the common problems and frustrations that we all face in the workplace and disentangles them. It has helped me tackle real issues that I've faced at work - if you also feel that you're suffering from an unhealthy work-life balance - or that you feel that you're losing your individuality just to fit in at work then you'll also gain from reading this book. I particularly enjoyed the Chapter entitled 'The Superman Syndrome and the Repentant Workaholic'! An intelligent, accessible and massively helpful book.

Why Work Is Weird: An Antidote to the Frustrations of Corporate Life
Why Work Is Weird: An Antidote to the Frustrations of Corporate Life by Jerry Connor and Lee Sears (Paperback - 10 Nov 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01